zoid

How often do you clean your guns and do you enjoy doing it?

Gun Cleaning Survey  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you clean your guns?

• </= 250 rounds.
    • </= 500 rounds.
    • </= 1000 rounds.
    • > 1000 rounds.
  2. 2. How much do you enjoy cleaning your guns?

• Borderline OCD.
    • I enjoy maintaining them.
    • Don't really mind. I'm neutral.
    • Only do it cause I have to.

I usually give mine a cleaning after a match or a range session. Maybe I'll go two matches/range sessions.

I don't mind cleaning them and I like the satisfaction of having a clean firearm. What about you guys?

Corrosive stuff and black powder gets cleaned same day. Everything else... when I get to it. Rifles/shotguns get a boresnake(semi-auto shotties I clean the gas system). Pistols usually get detail stripped when I get around to em.

on my AR's after they are broken in.. about every 400 rounds I will take the BOLT out of the BCG and clean it and the firing pin..

otherwise I just clean the BCG off, and re-apply some 5-20 Synthtic motor oil.

at about 1200 rounds with 0 issues thus far.

I do a chamber brush after the Wolf WPA or Tula though.. stuffs a little more 'grodie'.

Semi-auto rifles, after every range session, also do that with my Lever action. Mosin, well corrosive ammo, so it's semi cleaned before I leave the range and then cleaned well after I get home.

Pistols, I will run a bore snake through if I just fired a few rounds though it, but they are field stripped at least every 500 rounds or USPSA/Steel match, also will take them down further than a field strip at least every 6 months for the guns I use for USPSA and Steel.

I enjoy the feel and heft of well crafted metal and look forward to the peace and whatever time I have to zone out when cleaning my guns,sharpening and honing my chef's knives or prepping and cooking. Besides the fact that the smell of gun and honing oil makes me horney

Pump shotgun, just a boresnake pretty much. Marlin 795 .22 boresnake and a strip/clean like every few hundred rounds/maybe every-other range trip. The pistols each range trip. If I dont get to the range for quite a few weeks I will usually pull the pistols out and re-lube them (especially the Kahr CM9, its seems to like being WET :) )

I dont mind going upstairs and fondling the guns, puts a smile on my face!

I am ANAL big time. I am a milsurp collector so although I enjoy shooting my collection I look that I have the responsibility of preserving history. I would be heartbroken if anything happened because of my doing. These things have lasted up to 100 years before I got to them in excellent condition and I want to do my part knowing that they will still be functioning in another 100 years for future generations. I wont live forever so I say that I am their temporary guardian. I enjoy cleaning and find it neat to wonder "did that ding get there from storage or combat? Did it perform well for the person that carried it? what story do they have to tell." My family finds it grotesque that I have guns that have been in combat and the person that carried it was killed. I have rifles with blood on them and others that have shrapnel. They think it's gory, I say it's part of the history. So anything I can do to keep them functioning and looking good I enjoy doing.

I enjoy the feel and heft of well crafted metal and look forward to the peace and whatever time I have to zone out when cleaning my guns,sharpening and honing my chef's knives or prepping and cooking. Besides the fact that the smell of gun and honing oil makes me horney

Just a little more info than we needed... :blink:

I am ANAL big time. I am a milsurp collector so although I enjoy shooting my collection I look that I have the responsibility of preserving history. I would be heartbroken if anything happened because of my doing. These things have lasted up to 100 years before I got to them in excellent condition and I want to do my part knowing that they will still be functioning in another 100 years for future generations. I wont live forever so I say that I am their temporary guardian. I enjoy cleaning and find it neat to wonder "did that ding get there from storage or combat? Did it perform well for the person that carried it? what story do they have to tell." My family finds it grotesque that I have guns that have been in combat and the person that carried it was killed. I have rifles with blood on them and others that have shrapnel. They think it's gory, I say it's part of the history. So anything I can do to keep them functioning and looking good I enjoy doing.

Dito... :icon_mrgreen:

Just a little more info than we needed... :blink:

Please....I didn't elaborate on the effect simmering black truffle oil has on me, so I still kept it clean. :preved:

I field strip, oil, and boresnake after every trip, even if i only shoot a few rounds out of each gun. The first 3 guns are soothing. After that, i start bitching and thinking about why I bothered bringing the 4th, 5th and 6th gun.

I clean the majority of my shooters around 500-1000 rounds. I see no real benefit to clean so frequently but do keep my guns properly lubed. When I do get around to cleaning it takes me longer then most as I am ocd and am meticulous.

Now that I have my gun cave just off my man cave, I get to sit down and have a nice clean space when I'm working. I used to have to do everything in the garage and stand there for hours. Now I have a nice workbench with a stool so I catch up on my podcasts (usually Tom Gresham's Gun Talk) and clean the guns or do some reloading. I don't mind cleaning them, but I tend to get a little OCD about it and don't like that I can't always get them back to factory new, but I deal with it. I don't get to go to the range too often, but I'll usually clean them after every other trip or so since I usually only put about 100-200 rounds per pistol per trip. My bolt rifle usually will get a bore snake after every trip though because it's my accuracy gun, so that's every 25-50 rounds. The AR15 I do probably every other trip also because I hate when there's a ton of carbon buildup on the bolt tail, so that alone will take me about 30 minutes with a dental pick scraping it all off. But like I said, I listen to podcasts while I'm doing gun stuff, so it's more relaxing for me really.

For me, unfortunately I guess, cleaning my guns is like washing my truck. As long as it's running fine, why bother and waste the time. I understand that many are obsessive about keeping their firearms clean. I've never been of the opinion that it's important to make a gun that's shot thousands and thousands of rounds look like it's never shot a round in its life.

Muzzleloaders and anything that had corrosive ammo in them, that day

Anything I take to the range, that day or the next day

Hunting guns, at the end of the season

I usually shoot different guns each time I go to the range, so keeping them clean is a best practice to not end up with a pile of dirty guns, and as Eric said, it's a sin to not take care of your milsurps.