tbtrout

First generation gun owners.

Who out there is the first in their family to exercise their 2A rights? I ask because while reading other posts I see an acceptance of reasonable restrictions on our freedoms. A mindset almost that the Govt should be able to control the exercising of our freedoms. Whether it is because they know better than us or you are worried that someone may do something bad with them, why do you support restrictions?

I am happy to see so many first time gun owners getting together as a community in this oppressive state and integrating with the seasoned owners. I hope that some of us on here can sway opinions over to less control.

Let me say I do not think there should be any control on firearms. We need to get back to personal responsability, not scraps from the womb to the tomb table of Government control. Throughout our history as well as world history of gun control has been used to subjugate groups of people. Just read about the freed slaves who could not buy a gun because anything under a certain price was said to be junk. Because it was the only guns the freed slave could afford. Now go to todays cities with the most restrictive laws and you find people living in fear depending upon the Govt for protection. Nothing has changed, but because of that law today our Politicians talk about junk guns, Saturday Night Specials.

And yes, you will always have bad people doing bad things with anything availible. That will never change whether they use a full auto or go OJ.

Please keep ALL replies civil. I am starting this for cordial debate and to get some more points of view.

I dont really know. My mother was never around them, her parents did not have them. She's against them...NOTHING I say can change her mind...I've tried over and over. She lives alone, I worry about her, I'd love for her to be able to protect herself and exersize her rights.

My father has had his FID application for a few months now, I picked it up for him, he has not filled it out. Lack of interest?? I dont know, he's not the easiest person in the world to get through to. I'd love for both of them to get into it, or at least be able to protect themselves if the need arises.

My siblings are totally anti-gun. It disgusts me. We've not spoken for quite a long time due to our very different viewpoints. My brother-in-law believes in his fists, and does not think he needs anything else. Its a joke. "dont bring a knife to a gun fight" you especially shouldn't bring just fists!!!!

My Brother thinks he's to peaceful for guns. Does owning guns make you un-peaceful??? They are nuts, vegan, all natural, hemp wearing hippies! His wife is involved in N.O.W. (national organization for women) :roll: They do all kinds of protests and crazy stuff...I dont associate with them...too aggrivating for me. lol

OK, my rant on my family is over. GRRRRRRRR! :evil: :x :evil: :x

First generation myself, and a second generation American. All of the males in my family (uncles, cousins) have served at some capacity in my origin's country (as it is mandatory). It is almost impossible to own a gun in the country they're from (so I hear), but they all respect firearms for what they are. My family doesn't really care one way or the other...

I personally am not a big fan of the restrictions; as I know I am a law abiding citizen who has had the opportunity to learn, respect, and understand the severe consequences of firearms. This is the case for probably everyone who frequents this forum, as it is obviously what this forum is about. However, there has been a huge lack of accountability that this country has suffered from for centuries. The lack of accountability is not just from the citizens or business sector, or politicians-- EVERYBODY is guilty of this. I'm not calling out individuals, but its just a fact of American society as a whole. This lack of accountability has lead both citizens and politicians, and everyone in between, to take irrational actions. Do I think it is fair and just to put forth such strong restrictions? No, of course not. Is it necessary? No, of course not. Have the people/groups that support less restrictions/more freedoms taken the proper action yet? No, I don't think so. I do not think its a matter of more having to be done, but instead a different approach. I could not say what that different approach is; but if driving on through the muck isn't working, why not try another approach (work smarter, not harder, right?).

And really, what is the root of the problems? Is it the government? Sure, most likely as it keeps growing and infringing on every day matters. But this is also America, and, as far as we know, the people put the government into power. Oh, but the people who put the government into power are oblivious? Probably, but the recent elections either speak volume of how poorly people thought the former President did, OR how much faith they had in the current President (or a combo of both). Those points are actually moot, as it fails to contribute any to a fix to the problem. So, how do you fix the fact that people are oblivious to the real situations? Maybe it is because the mass media is starting to cater to Generation Y and the minority groups (ages 18-27 or so), and the liberals have taken advantage of this. I bring up mass media (to include national news channels, blogs, forums, viral marketing, etc) because it seems to be the conduit of bad/misinformation chopped in with flashy terms to make them sound more appealing... and somehow true. Do I agree with how mass media works? Of course not, both sides are shameless when it comes to their bickering... but while its annoying, that's democracy at work. However, people still have the ability to block out the garbage, and accept what they want (good or bad). So, the people are still accountable in this case.

People who want their change to happen immediately will never get their social changes or so-called "revolutions." This country was built on certain rights and privileges, and it has made America great. As bad as things may seem now in every respect, things will progressively balance-- even as globalized as the US becomes. However, I agree, people can't sit back and allow politicians to pour honey into our ears. Its the mob that has the control-- but its called a mob for a reason. People have to be aware and balance their needs with respect to others in order to be respected as more then just a mob... and maybe some more favorable change will occur. It is not hard to believe that it works because hey, look how we got into this mess to began with.

I believe my dad owned a long gun or possibly a shot gun when I was 8 I recall seeing him sell it. We were in Canada at the time though so the 2nd A didn't apply in any way. I am a first generation gun owner. Thankfully I wasn't raised in NJ though, so my views on the RIGHTS given to Americans are not optional. I feel being a citizen of the U.S. means more to me than most. I have served with the U.S. Army and I am currently in the process of filling out my application for my above mentioned US citizenship. I have chosen to be a US citizen. It is not something that I was born with. Perhaps this is why the fundamentals of what this country was founded on means more to me.

Immediate family, i'll be the first. My uncle was a police officer, so he owned, but no matter what was said, the only think my mother remembered were the stories about the times my cousin would turn up with the keys to my uncle's sidearm and bring the gun to his father. I shot some skeet with older friends, joined the navy and shot plenty there, and shot shortly after getting out with family friend and brother before he left for the army. I know when my father eventually gets one, he'll be first generation, yet second to get one.

As far as the mindset, I don't think its a hardline belief that Govt. should control our rights, as much as its been a slow drawn out pacification of our wills and desire to maintain the rights. I can't even pinpoint the exact date range, but we've seen newer generations just not have the work ethic, not have the education, and basically have been conditioned to accept and expect the Govt. to take care of them. Alot don't think for themselves, and trust everything they see on TV or read on the internet.

As far as the 2a is concerned, the gun control groups have all the free press they want after every gun-free zone shooting. Instead of blaming the lax security, questioning how someone who served 6 years in prison got his hands on a gun, all the focus goes to the gun and how "laws" could prevent it. The NRA doesn't get their spot, no one's giving the other side of the story, so in the general populace's view, guns are painted in a bad light, and for some its a bad first impression. The NRA, those of us here, and other pro-gun organizations need to figure out a way to educate the general populace, without taking it to the extremes. Being a fanatical pro gun to oppose the fanatical anti-gun only makes you a fanatic and the target audience won't hear anything but keywords, and they'll miss the message. Problem is, the keywords are all in their favor.

First generation gun owner here as well. Parents are Indian imigrants, and I'm also first generation born in the US, guns were never in family here or India. Althought I am a first generation gun owner, I am not accepting gun control restriction set forth to us. I made the decision to bear arms, in hopes to fight restriction. I hope more law abiding persons like my self will excericse their rights. Maybe this will prove that restrcting law abiding citizens from

gun ownership is the wrong objective .

So here is the question, for those are do not want any restrictions, what about, those that I personally believe should not own firearms, convicted criminals of domestic violence, etc. White collar crime is a grey area for me.

Furthermore, what about those that are found to be mentally incapacitated to make informed decisions?

My personal take is I am in favor of common sense stuff, ie no firearms for criminals, esp those convicted of violence and domestic abuse, and those that trully cannot own firearms responsibly.

As far as the 15rd magazines, muzzle brakes and flash suppressors, I think it is all a pointless excuse and a political out for politicians to say "I did something about gang violence, we limited the the maximum round capacity to 15."

or the ludicrous CA laws of having an approved list.

However though, if we subscribe to Locke's theory, "the government is to be created by the people, to serve the people's interest, and when it no longer does, the people have the right and obligation to change the government."

What if the vast majority of the United States population really wants to ban all firearms?

To answer your question, a violent convicted felon is a criminal. By definition a criminal does not obey the law. How many articles have you read about a career criminal with multiple prior convictions using a gun to kill another person? The ciminals will not follow the laws, therefore puttting the law abiding citizen at risk who follows the rules. Happens every day. And criminlas do not need guns to commit crimes.

Should we ban baseball because a criminal used a bat to rob a store? Or the assualt with a carving knife, should we ban Thanksgiving? Sounds silly, but so do gun control laws when they are actually read.

However though, if we subscribe to Locke's theory, "the government is to be created by the people, to serve the people's interest, and when it no longer does, the people have the right and obligation to change the government."

What if the vast majority of the United States population really wants to ban all firearms?

I think the issue here is that people are, as always, a bit misinformed about the facts. If people knew the truth or reality of firearms (and the difference between a firearm and a weapon), then it would have a chance of changing minds. I do not think the incendiary approach to change people's mindset works, as anti-gun coalitions can just use that to back up their rhetoric. The fact that mass media outlets naturally give in to what the government supports (for the most part-- not all media outlets mind you) does not help the misinformed public see the big picture. I think the problem with progressive thinkers is that they all want happiness and peace... but through idealistic means. Unfortunate truth is that society needs discord and strife to certain extents to keep the balance. If this world ever sees true global peace (like an Utopia), something is terribly wrong.

I figured I'd chime in here being in the minority.

My father owns many firearms and I got to shot alot at a young age. We own property in NE Pennsy so I got to shot everything from plinking with 22's to clay shooting with my 870 southpaw. Everyone in my family believes in the 2A except my sister, she's actually a former Marine that served in Iraq and lives, guess where, Kalifornia. My moms side owned firearms and she shot alot when she was younger. Actually her brother used a firearm in self defense in, guess where, Kalifornia. He shot a guy breaking into his home while they were eating dinner. He shoot him 5 times, but he was so high on meth that the 38's did nothing. It took 4 or 5 cops to bring him down. He had to surrender his revolver and I don't think he ever got it back, really!

Continuous generation here.

All my grandfathers, and their fathers etc, going back to when they came over(or before). Pretty much all my ancestors came over at some point after the civil war although one I'm unsure of. My mother has two pistols dating back to the mid/late 1800s that were owned by my great-great grandfather on my Mother's side.

First generation American, but 2nd generation gun owner. My father had a concealed carry permit since the mid 60s, altho seems like he stopped carrying shortly after I was born (no idea why). We never really talked about guns tho, so much so that he would get mad at me when i asked for toy guns as a kid. He did take me hunting a few times when we were on vacation back in the "homeland" and also bought me a couple small shotguns when I was in my teens (again, not here, but in the village back "home").

Even now things are a bit strange in regards to guns in my family.. when i was waiting for my FID my mom would complain that I didn't need guns in the house and "what are you going to do when you have kids - you can't have them in the house!" My dad was more of the "as long as he's careful with them, it's fine" mindset. When I finally picked up a few "toys" and I was showing them to my dad, his comments were "why do you need so many? those are the ones the police use.. you dont need that" LOL if it ain't a snub nosed .38, my dad doesn't get it haha My family is a bit nuts :lol:

Yes and No....

Long time ago when I was a teenager, Dad and I decided to get into the hobby, so we both bought our 1st pistols together. I got a Ruger MKII, and he got a Ruger Security Six .38/.357 6" barrl. But with a lack of local places to shoot, they we knew about, they gathered dust, and then sold....

My parents now live in Florida, and Dad bought an old High Standard .22lr to plink with, and this got my spurred to get back into the hobby. With the help of the internet, I now have found a few places to shoot, and Dad has also picked up another .38/.357 Revolver.... I think a GP100? , not sure. So, we have now come full circle. .....

I'm 62 now and will be applying for my first FID/handgun purchace permit next week. Started to go to the range with son,(WSL) and was hooked. My father owned several shotguns I remember as a child, but Mom wouldn't allow him to take me hunting. Since then the only weapons handled was when I was in the Army ( 1966-1968). Back in my Dad's day hunting was a source of a meal on the table besides work. So, I am not a first generation owner, just a generation of time between ownership.

I'm pretty sure my father had at least one gun on the farm in the old country, but none since he's been here. He fired an M1, a 50 BMG, and some freakin huge artillery (some crazy 12" or some stuff) in the military.

My maternal grandparents never had a gun (to my knowledge).

At least one of my uncles and several of my cousins are into it.

First Generation owner. Don't really know what my father's position was, but mother, uncle, 2 sisters, brother-in-law, all against firearm ownership to different degress. Like Chad said, tough subject to discuss at times. Just like Obamba believers, no matter what he does or what you say, you can't change the mind of close minded people.