CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

2 minutes ago, Kdin1 said:

Good to know 

Do you know how long of a timeframe from start to signed permit

I do not. I want to say "since the beginning" ... Atlco was waiting to have a "standard" for what they felt was suitable training. But i will sniff around and ask. 

10 hours ago, 45Doll said:

If we take that at face value, and assume that 'a few weeks' means only two weeks, then those at the back of the queue should be approved/denied in around 34 months. From now.

That's the impression I got. That this is the way it is, and tough luck if you don't like it. I'm not sure I understand the 'prosecutor must approve your permit' part. That seems like an excuse to delay.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, samiam said:

Keep an eye on the calendar and notify Strike Force when appropriate. According to Glenn A. Grant in #06-19, courts have 30 days to process + 14 days to consider. Grant also gave them the latitude to consult the prosecutor, HOWEVER, he stiputlated that if that happens, the prosecutor has 14 days to respond, with a presumption of approval at the expiration of that time, and that 14 days is to run CONCURRENTLY with the 30 (44 total) days allocated to the court. 

StrikeForce has already contacted me to tell me that Dan may want to call to discuss. I didn't realize there was latitude for those 14 extra days, so I'm watching the clock and waiting to see if Strike Force has some input. 

• Informative 1

On 10/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, MartyZ said:

So has anyone confirmed whether or not we can use family members as references?

There is nothing on the form that says you cannot. I used a family member as a reference.
I'm currently waiting for it to move via the courts. 

I do have one major difference though. I have a different last name than my family. I hated our family 
name so much I changed mine a long time ago. Since its been that long I do not ever acknowledge that name and 
my birth cert was updated. I recently applied for pistol permits and left out "previous names" and they were approved. 

for the people who received their permits and were dated a month or so before they actually got it,  and the term of the permit is 2 years has the issuing authority committed any level of fraud?     you paid for 2 years yet you are only getting 21-22 months out of it.

same as buying and paying for 2 pounds of Taylor ham but only getting 1.75 pounds,  would Weights and Measures allow that?

Strikeforce should look at this as well,   The permit should be dated the day you are handed it just like your drivers license.

1 hour ago, revenger said:

for the people who received their permits and were dated a month or so before they actually got it,  and the term of the permit is 2 years has the issuing authority committed any level of fraud?     you paid for 2 years yet you are only getting 21-22 months out of it.

same as buying and paying for 2 pounds of Taylor ham but only getting 1.75 pounds,  would Weights and Measures allow that?

Strikeforce should look at this as well,   The permit should be dated the day you are handed it just like your drivers license.

They are falsifying records, IMO.

On 10/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, MartyZ said:

So has anyone confirmed whether or not we can use family members as references?

I've been pondering this as well, there are no instructions of who can or cannot be used as a reference. I've used my inlaws for pistol permits for years now, no issues. How will this be handled with the carry permit?

Also, what affect do the time limits (30 days, 60 days) have on this whole process? A friend of mine told me they were "automatically" issuing permits for anyone over the 60 days in his town (Clifton I believe), but I'm not sure how accurate that is. 

What's the point of having time frames on these things if nothing is bound to them? Ie. If not processed in X amount of time, then permit is deemed approved....

Thanks for any information.

7 minutes ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

My permit was mailed from court to pd last Friday

Called pd yesterday, a full week after, and she was annoyed that I was even calling her...

Either court lied, she lied, or USPS lost it. 

What town?

it may have been sent by mistake to NJSP in Trenton. The court was told to send permits there (for NJSP applicants). They send them in batches so it may have gotten mixed up. This whole paper process is ripe for this kind of thing. Hopefully FARS will fix it. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, FNfiveSeven said:

I've been pondering this as well, there are no instructions of who can or cannot be used as a reference. I've used my inlaws for pistol permits for years now, no issues. How will this be handled with the carry permit?

Also, what affect do the time limits (30 days, 60 days) have on this whole process? A friend of mine told me they were "automatically" issuing permits for anyone over the 60 days in his town (Clifton I believe), but I'm not sure how accurate that is. 

What's the point of having time frames on these things if nothing is bound to them? Ie. If not processed in X amount of time, then permit is deemed approved....

Thanks for any information.

I used my wife. 

Since NJ has red flag laws, which explicitly states family members can petition for/against your rights I figured why not?

Nothing I came across said I couldn't.  I recall when I did my FPID it said I couldn't somewhere. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, revenger said:

I see you're from the very north of NJ . The rest of us call it Pork roll.  Going to say you live close to 287 near NY or closer to the NW of the upper part of NJ towards PA

• Like 1

To date I cannot find that any carry permits have been issued in Somerset County NJ.   From an anonymous source; his opinion is that the county will begin issuing carry permits but with a strict court order limiting where you can and cannot carry. With a few thousand permits in backlog (est) its anyone guess when we will see them signed off and issued.  If anyone living in Somerset County knows differently please post more current information.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Kdin1 said:

Good to know 

Do you know how long of a timeframe from start to signed permit

Any timeframe given now will be skewed by the fact that the process is somewhat settling down. Early applicants faced delays as this was entirely new for many courts and PDs. 

• Agree 1

On 10/4/2022 at 12:18 PM, Sabeast said:

References Called September 7......Was told by police department on 9/21 "it was scheduled to go to the court next week". Called the court on 10/3, application not there. Called police detective today, was told its being sent to court "this week". Should i contact strikeforce or who would be able to help?

Whats the email address to strokeforce? [email protected]? Im not getting a response. 

23 hours ago, LineItem said:

Spoke with Hudson county clerk today, finally. She said (when I said my name) she knew who I was and was in the list, but that they're "Waiting for the prosecutor to give approvals, and they have 15k people now in the queue. The prosecutor is only sending them for signature by the judge in batches of 200 every few weeks."

She also said I wasn't in the recent batch. I turned all of my paperwork in on 7/5. I mentioned that I'm solidly over 90 days waiting and she responded that it wasn't their problem; it could be months more and I would "just have to wait".

I was also told to "sit and wait" Middlesex has thousands of applications too. At least someone from Strikeforce has contacted you, they don't seem to pay me any mind, are you a member of Strikeforce?

7 hours ago, DAHL said:

To date I cannot find that any carry permits have been issued in Somerset County NJ.   From an anonymous source; his opinion is that the county will begin issuing carry permits but with a strict court order limiting where you can and cannot carry. With a few thousand permits in backlog (est) its anyone guess when we will see them signed off and issued.  If anyone living in Somerset County knows differently please post more current information.

Zero permits have been issued out of Somerset.

I've heard (read) that they are still awaiting "clarification from the AG" until the court starts issuing permits.

I would highly suggest contacting Strikeforce and Jay Factor if you live in somerset. 

If you have a Facebook profile, get on the NJ Firearms Syndicate page and reach out to Jay Factor. He has been personally typing up letters for anyone who's PD and Court have been not adhering to the timelines and/or issuing restrictions. 

I personally believe the pressure from him and strikforce have made serious impact in a positive manner on the issuance of PTCs in several counties.

He will provide you personalized letters to be sent to the pd, prosecutor and the judge.

You can either sit and wait, or take action. 

Best of luck

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/7/2022 at 4:19 PM, Lostboy said:

They care. Listen to Anthony Colandros podcast. He feels like we do, but the lawyers with strike force need to do this carefully. 

^^^
Yes. Carefully. Very carefully. 
In New York the first post Bruen case that got before  a federal judge would have been a grand slam but plaintiffs’ attorneys did not choose the correct plaintiffs or defendants.  

Whatever cases go first in New Jersey under Bruen on the Superior Court delays or any new legislation must be perfect as they will set precedent going forward. 

The New Jersey 10+ magazine ban case is an old case  filed pre-Bruen that was remanded back to the federal district court and it is proceeding. That case could go all the way to the Supreme Court. Pre Bruen I thought this a terrible case as it could have badly limited rights under the 2A. Post Bruen this is a wonderful case as there is no long standing history of banning the possession of 10+ magazines.