Jump to content
GDITurbo77

Considering picking up a carry pistol. Having a hard time deciding.

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking I'm going to want to eventually get a CCW and want to start thinking about which gun I want to train with. I'll probably only qualify with 1 pistol so I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go. I currently have an X-Five Legion and a Canik Rival, both I feel are too large to conceal carry comfortably. My wife has a P320 X Compact that's a good size but I don't want to carry the same gun as her if she decides to get her CCW as well. I don't really enjoy shooting sub or micro compacts. Looking at something around the size of a Glock 19 that's not a Glock. I've kind of narrowed it down to a few possibilities. A P229 Legion, a Walther PDP with a 4" barrel or the VP9 with the 4.09" barrel. My X-Five Legion is a dream to shoot, so I'm sure the P229 is just as good. Plus I think it's a steel frame so it's got some built-in recoil mitigation. I'm assuming the other 2 pistols will shoot similar to my Canik Rival, which is also very nice by the way. I'm leaning towards the P229, but I can almost buy both of the other guns for a little bit more money. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. It seems like no matter which I choose, I'll have made a good decision. I guess I just want to know if anyone carries any of these guns and what your thoughts are. Sorry for the long winded post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're only going to carry a gun that is comfortable for you to carry on a regular basis. Go smaller than your choices. Try a Sig P365, SA Hellcat, S&W Shield, etc. Choose something that you'll shoot infrequently, but carry a lot.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PK90 said:

You're only going to carry a gun that is comfortable for you to carry on a regular basis. Go smaller than your choices. Try a Sig P365, SA Hellcat, S&W Shield, etc. Choose something that you'll shoot infrequently, but carry a lot.

We had a Shield 2.0 for a few months and it was probably the worst gun I've ever shot. Everything about it was so uncomfortable. We ended up consigning it and getting the P320 X Compact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect a P365 or Glock 48 will be mainstream for me.

I may also qualify a Walther P99 and H&K 45 for use in the car. (Although I could carry them if necessary.)

I more than passed a GFH qualification test run Wednesday with all four of these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GDITurbo77 said:

I'm thinking I'm going to want to eventually get a CCW and want to start thinking about which gun I want to train with. I'll probably only qualify with 1 pistol so I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go. I currently have an X-Five Legion and a Canik Rival, both I feel are too large to conceal carry comfortably. My wife has a P320 X Compact that's a good size but I don't want to carry the same gun as her if she decides to get her CCW as well. I don't really enjoy shooting sub or micro compacts. Looking at something around the size of a Glock 19 that's not a Glock. I've kind of narrowed it down to a few possibilities. A P229 Legion, a Walther PDP with a 4" barrel or the VP9 with the 4.09" barrel. My X-Five Legion is a dream to shoot, so I'm sure the P229 is just as good. Plus I think it's a steel frame so it's got some built-in recoil mitigation. I'm assuming the other 2 pistols will shoot similar to my Canik Rival, which is also very nice by the way. I'm leaning towards the P229, but I can almost buy both of the other guns for a little bit more money. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. It seems like no matter which I choose, I'll have made a good decision. I guess I just want to know if anyone carries any of these guns and what your thoughts are. Sorry for the long winded post!

Well, you seem to like the Sig. Take a look at and see if you can rent the Sig P365X an P365XL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Size of a Glock 19 but not a glock... PSA Dagger?  Taurus G3C.  

Honestly - all of your choices are still too large/bulky IMO.  You need to take into consideration how and where you'll be carrying it. 

I have a PDP Full size 4.5" - it's not concealable in any way.  You would have to go with a Compact version, but still - it's a THICK Gun (1.34" wide).  The P229 is even thicker at 1.5" thick.  The weight of it is also a detriment for concealed carrying.  

There's a reason I went with a Glock 48 as my choice - it's still got the 4" barrel (actually slightly longer) of a G19, but is slimmer, yet still a lot more comfortable to shoot than a subcompact like my M&P Shield.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Size of a Glock 19 but not a glock... PSA Dagger?  Taurus G3C.  

Honestly - all of your choices are still too large/bulky IMO.  You need to take into consideration how and where you'll be carrying it. 

I have a PDP Full size 4.5" - it's not concealable in any way.  You would have to go with a Compact version, but still - it's a THICK Gun (1.34" wide).  The P229 is even thicker at 1.5" thick.  The weight of it is also a detriment for concealed carrying.  

There's a reason I went with a Glock 48 as my choice - it's still got the 4" barrel (actually slightly longer) of a G19, but is slimmer, yet still a lot more comfortable to shoot than a subcompact like my M&P Shield.

 

That's unfortunate. I'm not comfortable shooting sub/micro compacts. I need a gun with a little bit of girth to it. I also don't really enjoy shooting single stacks, except maybe a 1911, but I wouldn't carry one for obvious reasons. If the choices above won't work, then I need to go back to the drawing board I guess. I thought there would be people who've conceal carried guns in the 3.9" - 4.1" barrel range, but all I keep seeing is the same guns over and over again. (Shield, Hellcat, P365, etc.) The search continues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Size of a Glock 19 but not a glock... PSA Dagger?  Taurus G3C. 

M&P 2.0 in 4” barrel. I don’t think anyone is hiding the fact that it was designed to match the G19

Thats what I applied with. Stupid that we’re (currently) limited to 10 rounds but someday it will hold 15 in flush fitting mags 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sig Pro 2022? Its like a lighter weight version of a P229/P226 hybrid.

Maybe 365XL or X Macro. 365 is amazingly tiny, but I think if I were to buy a specific CCW gun, I would go XL. Though after handling a Glock 43X, I might give that serious consideration.

Though if you are so comfortable with a 320 platform, I don't get why you wouldn't go with one, customized to your exact preferences.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Honestly - all of your choices are still too large/bulky IMO.  You need to take into consideration how and where you'll be carrying it. 

I have a PDP Full size 4.5" - it's not concealable in any way.  You would have to go with a Compact version, but still - it's a THICK Gun (1.34" wide).  The P229 is even thicker at 1.5" thick.  The weight of it is also a detriment for concealed carrying.  

Shenanigans.

I have been carrying a gun daily for 20 years now.

I used to conceal a G35 with a magwell and X300U all year (IWB at 4:00) - in summer with nothing more that shorts and a T shirt and I’m not a big guy. It’s all about choices in clothing, belts, and holsters.

Now I primarily carry a G19 with optic and light AIWB all day, every day, and can conceal it under nothing more than t-shirt with no issues. The G19, IMO, is probably the perfect sized carry gun.

I also have a G48 MOS with optic and light that I have started carrying more often. So far its been great. It may take over as the perfect carry choice for me - but realistically, there is really no appreciable difference between the G19 and the G48 in regards to how it feels to carry and how easy it is conceal. 

At the end of the day, bad guys carry full-size guns all the time. There is no reason, outside of a lack of experience/knowledge or plain laziness, why good guys can’t do the same thing. Stop overthinking things and make smart choices.

It’s really quite simple.

Carry guns should be measured against these 5 criteria.

In order of most to least important:
• Reliability
• Caliber
• Personal ability/How well you shoot it
• Capacity
• Overall size

Find a reliable firearm from a reputable manufacturer, chambered in an effective self-defense caliber, that you shoot well enough to bet your life on, and has the max capacity you are legally allowed to carry. Then figure out how to conceal it.

  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may sound silly to you...however, there is a very nice bulgarian Makarov in 9mm Mak available.  

This will be small enough light enough to carry all day...now the gun is also very very accurate.

This is a fixed barrel....very accurate ..did I say accurate?

Downside....ammo, it is available....  8shots single stack...but heel release....

One of the pistols I will shoot with is that...and a hi power of course.

Even if you don't carry with it....get one...one is for sale in the forum....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, High Exposure said:

At the end of the day, bad guys carry full-size guns all the time. There is no reason, outside of a lack of experience/knowledge or plain laziness, why good guys can’t do the same thing. Stop overthinking things and make smart choices.

It’s really quite simple.

Carry guns should be measured against these 5 criteria.

In order of most to least important:
• Reliability
• Caliber
• Personal ability/How well you shoot it
• Capacity
• Overall size

Find a reliable firearm that you shoot well enough to bet your life on, in an effective self-defense caliber, that has the max capacity you are legally allowed to carry. Then figure out how to conceal it.

Agree

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with a PX-4 storm compact carry. A little bit of heft to it, 3.2 in barrel, full-size grip, I can get all three fingers on the grip. Double/single action. Awesome trigger out of the box and if you want to lighten the trigger there is the Langdon Tactical drop in trigger group. I may send it in for a rds cut and install a Holosun optic. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bagarocks said:

If yer using a concealed carry handgun that your life may depend on, it better be the one you are most accurate with.

Just pick the one yer confidence level is so high ya cant miss.

This. Go to a range, rent a few guns, and pick the one you can hit the target with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redeye65 said:

I went with a PX-4 storm compact carry. A little bit of heft to it, 3.2 in barrel, full-size grip, I can get all three fingers on the grip. Double/single action. Awesome trigger out of the box and if you want to lighten the trigger there is the Langdon Tactical drop in trigger group. I may send it in for a rds cut and install a Holosun optic. 

I shot Ernie Langdon’s personal PX4. It was one of the smoothest double/single actions guns I have ever handled - it was addicting to shoot. If I was stuck with a double action only or a double/single action gun for CCW, I’d get a full house Langdon PX4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I shot Ernie Langdon’s personal PX4. It was one of the smoothest double/single actions guns I have ever handled - it was addicting to shoot. If I was stuck with a double action only or a double/single action gun for CCW, I’d get a full house Langdon PX4.

I have the LTT trigger group in mine, it gets me to 80% of a full in house pistol, and man it is sweet, double action is one smooth pull and a solid crisp break. I can only imagine what the pistol you got to shoot felt like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I carried a P229 . It was concealable, but got heavy. I eventually down sized to a P239, which was flat and easy to conceal. After having lots of guns in a concealed carry rotation Ihave settled on a P365. It is small, light, accuate , and holds an adequate number of rounds for most situations. It conceals well in sn IWB, pocket holster and/or ankle rig. Good luck!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been cc’ing a (work supplier) G23 year round for most of the last two decades. Like you, I never really gel’d with any of the sub compacts that have come along in that time. (big hands yada yada). All that said, I’m picking up a Sig 365 xmacro this week and it’ll be the first time I’ve bought a dedicated cc gun. I got to handle / manipulate one on a trip out west last month but I’m yet to shoot it. It remains to be seen if it will “shoot like a big gun” or if I’m about to be duped by Guntube influencers. I’ll report back here…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AJ214 said:

I’ve been cc’ing a (work supplier) G23 year round for most of the last two decades. Like you, I never really gel’d with any of the sub compacts that have come along in that time. (big hands yada yada). All that said, I’m picking up a Sig 365 xmacro this week and it’ll be the first time I’ve bought a dedicated cc gun. I got to handle / manipulate one on a trip out west last month but I’m yet to shoot it. It remains to be seen if it will “shoot like a big gun” or if I’m about to be duped by Guntube influencers. I’ll report back here…

I have shot a P365 XL and found the grip too small for my hands. I had a much better experience with a Hellcat Pro. I don't think the P365 Macro has much to offer over the Hellcat. The supposed comp built into the slide, not the barrel doesn't seem to do anything much and the take up on the trigger is really quite excessive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hands down the 365XL preferably one of the compensator versions. I have handled the standard hellcat and I liked the way it felt in my hand along with the great sights, but the 365XL feels like a full-size gun in a concealable compact package and shoots better than any gun I have owned. The 365 macro is also great choice but, only being limited to 10 rounds in this State negates the purpose of the model. It would make more sense to get one of the comped 365X or 365XL versions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...