10X

List of NJ Businesses posting 'No Guns' signs

I came across an interesting article for your reading:

In my state, it doesn't carry the force of law. So I ignore them. IF they discover I'm armed, they can ask me to leave, and I will. If I refuse to leave they can call the police and I would be charged with trespassing.

After the shooting in Aurora at the movie theater, I made the decision to remain armed, even in posted places, for my own safety and not be rendered defenseless. Since the posting businesses do not offer any guarantee to my safety, yet want me defenseless, they can go fuck themselves. Now if they offer me a personal, armed guard while I shop or watch a movie, then I'll consider being unarmed. IMHO there should be a stipulation to those no weapons signs. If a place requires you be defenseless THEY MUST ASSUME LIABILITY for your protection. Every. Single. Customer. Or. Patron. Period. This gets back to these people squealing “compromise” all the time. Hiring security for thousands of patrons every day would bankrupt them. Lawsuits from families who lost loved ones would bankrupt them. And yet they WANT their customers to be victims. If only 25% of their clients were armed, most of these mass shootings would end in seconds, and the body counts would be greatly reduced. We've seen the stories where armed citizens stopped the threat long before the police arrived. Sometimes before the 911 call was completed.

Remember this little fucktard?? Opened fire in a food court at the mall. And a young man who had just gotten his carry license months earlier, not a lifelong shooter like me, yeeted this piece of shit from about 40yds, across the food court and stopped the threat. MSM refused to run the story, because it didn't fit the narrative. Armed good guy, stopped armed bad guy. How many lives were saved that day? The good guy had a semiautomatic pistol with 15 rds. So it also went against the magazine ban bullshit that seeks to limit a person to 10 rds.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The Mall at Short Hills (Essex County) has faint "No guns allowed" signage on all entrances. Entrances that lead into specific stores, eg. Neiman Marcus are worded to fit that store. "Anyone with a firearm will be asked to leave."

Funny, once I was there and saw an armed cash delivery. Guess their money's more important than your life. :drinks:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

The Mall at Short Hills (Essex County) has faint "No guns allowed" signage on all entrances. Entrances that lead into specific stores, eg. Neiman Marcus are worded to fit that store. "Anyone with a firearm will be asked to leave."

Funny, once I was there and saw an armed cash delivery. Guess their money's more important than your life. :drinks:

RIP Dustin Friedland - Murdered in front of his wife inside the parking garage at Short Hills Mall December 2013.

It seems the mall and store owners have forgotten. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Whamo said:

RIP Dustin Friedland - Murdered in front of his wife inside the parking garage at Short Hills Mall December 2013.

It seems the mall and store owners have forgotten. 

I was at Short Hills Mall the following Christmas season, so I guess that would have been 2014... ? The mall was closing for the evening and when my friend and I walked back into the parking garage, it was nearly deserted and there was NO security ANYWHERE to be seen. I mean ZIP. So, they had already "forgotten" about poor Dustin Friedland and his young widow merely one year after his death. So, yeah, that mall going "gun-free" a decade later doesn't surprise me at all. Still shameful though... not to mention incredibly stupid with their close proximity to Newark. All of those nice, upscale towns within 30 minutes of Newark (Short Hills, Montclair, Glen Ridge, etc.) are rich targets for gangbangers, and they all get more than their share of random, terrible violence that crops up on occasion.  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Downtownv said:

The first one i ever seen in Southern Ocean County. The Lacey Elks Club. Not exactly a Woke organization, by any means.

Ever spent time at the bar at an Elks club. They take their drinking seriously !!

(I'm an Elk)

• Like 1

The Lacy Elks is more than the bar area, (Which under Gov Bucky  Beaver , is a No Go zone, anyway) it's also a marina directly on the Forked River  into Barnegat Bay. There are large meeting/party rooms, separate fro the Alcohol area. That, was what surprised me.

On 12/21/2023 at 5:45 AM, Downtownv said:

The first one i ever seen in Southern Ocean County. The Lacey Elks Club. Not exactly a Woke organization, by any means.

Unfortunately we ran into the same thing at my local Elks...  I ignore it anyway as do other members, and our Americanism committee is working to get the sign removed.  That's stalled though as the whole stupid "Facility that serves alcohol" restriction got put back in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i didn't notice any negative signage at texas roadhouse on crosskeys rd tonight. but i also opened the outer door, saw the slew of people waiting in the alcove, and went to the outside pickup window instead.

Do they require a sign to prohibit civilian carry? According to the web page I found for them, they serve "ice cold beer". Wouldn't that make them subject to the (insane) NJ carry prohibition in establishments that serve alcohol? Or am I confused, and that was one of the regulations that was stayed?

so I went to a local veg., fruit and garden stand with the wife on Tuesday Melick's Farm in Oldwick....after walking the isles I see they are selling local wines....wife paid for the apples and honey and left....unless I'm wrong, guess I can't go back in there again if I'm carrying....was a surprise too me.

59 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

so I went to a local veg., fruit and garden stand with the wife on Tuesday Melick's Farm in Oldwick....after walking the isles I see they are selling local wines....wife paid for the apples and honey and left....unless I'm wrong, guess I can't go back in there again if I'm carrying....was a surprise too me.

I am under the impression that it's places that serve alcohol, not places that sell it.

• Agree 3

On 12/22/2023 at 5:31 PM, JohnnyB said:

Places that serve alcoholic beverages are off limits.  Liquor stores and BYOB restaurants are fine!

There may even be a potential complication there. We recently had dinner at an Italian restaurant in Sea Isle City. Their web site says they are BYOB, so we took a bottlie. Turns out that they also have a package license and sell bottled wine to guests. If you sit down to dinner and buy a bottle from them, the server opens and pours it (they also offer to open and pour any beverage the customer brings with). Does that constitute "serving" as defined in the regs that are currently in force? I really don't know, but I personally wouldn't assume that it would be any different from carrying in a bar. I didn't carry that night because I planned to have a drink with dinner, but had I not so planned, and gone in armed, it would have made me somewhat uneasy.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, Grima Squeakersen said:

Do they require a sign to prohibit civilian carry? According to the web page I found for them, they serve "ice cold beer". Wouldn't that make them subject to the (insane) NJ carry prohibition in establishments that serve alcohol? Or am I confused, and that was one of the regulations that was stayed?

i hadn't visited their website. i don't go to a business's website before going to them. good catch though! i think you're right.

19 minutes ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

There may even be a potential complication there. We recently had dinner at an Italian restaurant in Sea Isle City. Their web site says they are BYOB, so we took a bottlie. Turns out that they also have a package license and sell bottled wine to guests. If you sit down to dinner and buy a bottle from them, the server opens and pours it (they also offer to open and pour any beverage the customer brings with). Does that constitute "serving" as defined in the regs that are currently in force? I really don't know, but I personally wouldn't assume that it would be any different from carrying in a bar. I didn't carry that night because I planned to have a drink with dinner, but had I not so planned, and gone in armed, it would have made me somewhat uneasy.

I think you are over-thinking. Who would know that you are CC'd?

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

I think you are over-thinking. Who would know that you are CC'd?

This is a conundrum.

If you are concealed, sure, for the most part nobody will know.

Until that is, you need to defend yourself when some very loud noises will probably give it away.

If you think that you won't need to defend yourself, why carry the gun in the first place? Realizing that there is a risk is part of why we carry - not because we expect trouble, but we cannot be sure there won't be any.

The answer might be that you're willing to take the risk of being prosecuted if it saves your life. You're likely to face some kind of legal consequences after a DGU in NJ, whether it is criminal or civil regardless of what the county prosecutor says. It will help your case if you start from a position of legally carrying rather than not.

Another answer might be to just not go there in the first place.

Everybody has to make that risk assessment for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

This is a conundrum.

Until that is, you need to defend yourself when some very loud noises will probably give it away.

If you think that you won't need to defend yourself, why carry the gun in the first place? Realizing that there is a risk is part of why we carry - not because we expect trouble, but we cannot be sure there won't be any.

The answer might be that you're willing to take the risk of being prosecuted if it saves your life. You're likely to face some kind of legal consequences after a DGU in NJ, whether it is criminal or civil regardless of what the county prosecutor says. It will help your case if you start from a position of legally carrying rather than not.

i personally won't risk carrying where it's "illegal". i have a heavy responsibility in my mothers care and need to be able to be there for her. but.....i also at this point will not go into a business that i cannot carry in legally.

how fucking ridicilous is it that one may be seated at a diner that serves alcohol, strapped, and a group of thugs walks in.....forcing the need to draw........now you and everyone in that diner is alive because of YOU and YOUR actions......but now the state is gonna persecute you because you took the responsibility like that?

I was at the Kingwood State Police station in Hunterdon County last night for a job related issue.  They have 2 locked doors to get to their lobby and a third to get into the actual station, all of which had rather large bright red 9"x14" "No Guns" signs.  I thought it was a bit overkill, but I accept that I probably have the minority viewpoint in this state.

22 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

This is a conundrum.

Agree. If the only standard is not getting caught carrying in a prohibited place when there is no need to draw the handgun, there is little point to the numerous discussions on this site about what is and is not legal carry.

20 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i personally won't risk carrying where it's "illegal". i have a heavy responsibility in my mothers care and need to be able to be there for her. but.....i also at this point will not go into a business that i cannot carry in legally.

how fucking ridicilous is it that one may be seated at a diner that serves alcohol, strapped, and a group of thugs walks in.....forcing the need to draw........now you and everyone in that diner is alive because of YOU and YOUR actions......but now the state is gonna persecute you because you took the responsibility like that?

Ridiculous enough to accurately reflect how the State of New Jersey conducts itself and views its subjects on nearly all matters, I fear.

• Agree 1