Scorpio64

Clay Shoot, Clinton WMA ** Sunday 6/11/23 **

17 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

What time are you getting there? 

Everything but the guns loaded up, just have to stop for gas and a poorly made breakfast sandwich.  I should be there around 0830 to secure a spot and set up.

White 05 Silverado crew cab with  a thin blue line flag magnet on tailgate

3 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Is there any plan for a south jersey group shooty-thingy?  I need an excuse to get to the range but I’ve never shot clays before.  

On 6/5/2023 at 11:05 AM, Scorpio64 said:

I'll be doing a south jerz shoot at Stafford Forge WMA in a few weeks.  Probably the front end of July.

I'll try to get the date posted about two weeks beforehand.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 9:29 AM, Scorpio64 said:

Time for some direct marketing to the usual suspects.

I appreciate the heads-up, but I'm not going to be able to make this one--been out of state for almost a month, and just got back this morning.  I've got some serious catching up to do at home.

On the plus side, I'm officially retired as of May 31, so I've finally got some time to do the catching-up!

It was a good day,  about 15 show up, and we snagged a new member.  We had three traps going, with two set up throwing doubles, that was a hoot. 

Several birds and one deer decided to play no-man's-land  WW I style, I'm actually surprised two of the suicidal birds didn't get shot as they crossed paths with targets.

The biggest news of the day, Peel broke clays while they were still in the air, what's more, she did it three times in a row.  Just goes to show that the right gun can improve your game.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Sorry - couldn't make it out - by the time I finished my stuff the honeydo list started stacking up...  Glad y'all had a good time.

I may try to call one in August if time permits, or in September.  July is almost completely booked for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

The biggest news of the day, Peel broke clays while they were still in the air, what's more, she did it three times in a row.  Just goes to show that the right gun can improve your game.

Or accepting that the term is pork roll and not Taylor Ham.

• Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

Hi Everybody.  Based on Scorpio's mention above, I am the new member, with my first post.  :)  Told you guys I would sign up - LOL

It was truly a pleasure to meet everyone, and I look forward to doing it again.  As a walk in, you all really made me feel welcome - Thank you for that.

Thank you for setting it up @Scorpio64 , and thank you and @Mr.Stu for the traps and loaner guns, plus anyone else I forgot to mention.

@Ms. 12 Gauge, I am shopping for an auto now!  Thanks for letting me try it out.

@Mrs. Peel, It was nice to meet, and I forgot to mention, you do great moderating.

Hope to see everyone again soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rschmidty6 said:

Hi Everybody.  Based on Scorpio's mention above, I am the new member, with my first post.  :)  Told you guys I would sign up - LOL

It was truly a pleasure to meet everyone, and I look forward to doing it again.  As a walk in, you all really made me feel welcome - Thank you for that.

Thank you for setting it up @Scorpio64 , and thank you and @Mr.Stu for the traps and loaner guns, plus anyone else I forgot to mention.

@Ms. 12 Gauge, I am shopping for an auto now!  Thanks for letting me try it out.

@Mrs. Peel, It was nice to meet, and I forgot to mention, you do great moderating.

Hope to see everyone again soon!

Really awesome to meet you yesterday! If you want to meet up and test drive one of mine before you buy, just let me know and we can hit the range! (Which ones are you looking at?? Let me buy a new shotgun vicariously through you, lol)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rschmidty6 said:

And so it begins....

If there's one thing you'll find on these Forums in abundance... it's warm, friendly people....  and those same people are also delighted to help you spend mo' of your money on guns, ammo & accessories that you didn't even know you needed until you met them!  

Ask me how I know this... :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

And so it begins....

If there's one thing you'll find on these Forums in abundance... it's warm, friendly people....  and those same people are also delighted to help you spend mo' of your money on guns, ammo & accessories that you didn't even know you needed until you met them!  

Lol!

Ammo Fort!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

And so it begins....

You still NEED a shotgun ....   ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

You still NEED a shotgun ....   ;)

@rschmidty6 - yet more evidence of my theory! I haven't communicated with this nice man in MONTHS... and yet, here he is... popping up like a meercat, whispering "you still NEED a shotgun..." and then disappearing just as quickly back into his burrow. I'm telling you, you'll see this all the time! :rofl:

And yes, @W2MC - I do hear you! Every time I convince myself - "I can't do this... I just have no aptitude for shotguns"... I'll pick up someone nice light and/or short shottie and I'll hit a few in a row and THEN I'll think, "hmmm... maybe I CAN do this...". I've been going down other expensive rabbit holes lately, but eventually, when I have some extra bucks, I'll look around for a light, compact model and get some practice in with ONE gun. rshmidty6 on the other hand, was one of those people who had a new shotgun, didn't even know how to load it, and yet... he was instantly CRUSHING clays! Some newbies just seem to have that "shotgun aptitude" coming right out of the gate... god bless them!   

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

@rschmidty6 - yet more evidence of my theory! I haven't communicated with this nice man in MONTHS... and yet, here he is... popping up like a meercat, whispering "you still NEED a shotgun..." and then disappearing just as quickly back into his burrow. I'm telling you, you'll see this all the time! :rofl:

And yes, @W2MC - I do hear you! Every time I convince myself - "I can't do this... I just have no aptitude for shotguns"... I'll pick up someone nice light and/or short shottie and I'll hit a few in a row and THEN I'll think, "hmmm... maybe I CAN do this...". I've been going down other expensive rabbit holes lately, but eventually, when I have some extra bucks, I'll look around for a light, compact model and get some practice in with ONE gun. rshmidty6 on the other hand, was one of those people who had a new shotgun, didn't even know how to load it, and yet... he was instantly CRUSHING clays! Some newbies just seem to have that "shotgun aptitude" coming right out of the gate... god bless them!   

You've been saying that for years ... ;)

We need to do these shoots other than on a Sunday - I have retired to the Poconos, which is actually closer to Clinton than I was in NJ, but Sunday mornings find me at church services.  Some people DO have the 'eye' for shotgun - I, however, have spent way too much time as a pistol shooter, and  suffer from 'aiming', rather than 'pointing' a shotgun; either interrupting my swing or shooting at a point in the sky where I HOPE the target and shotcloud intersect.  I've tried; but I cannot consistently shake it.

I am looking forward to this coming Saturday and the CNJFO sporting clays outing at Lehigh Valley.  LOADS of fun!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

You really can do it. The trick is to stop thinking about it too hard. Just point and shoot. How hard to you think when you toss a wad of paper in the trash can? 

Also, if anyone was to tell @rschmidty6 the nitty gritty details of shot patterns, choke tubes, muzzle velocities, target trajectories, leads and intercepts, he would find it much harder to crush the clays as he would suddenly be overthinking the whole shebang.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, W2MC said:

You've been saying that for years ... ;)

We need to do these shoots other than on a Sunday - I have retired to the Poconos, which is actually closer to Clinton than I was in NJ, but Sunday mornings find me at church services.  Some people DO have the 'eye' for shotgun - I, however, have spent way too much time as a pistol shooter, and  suffer from 'aiming', rather than 'pointing' a shotgun; either interrupting my swing or shooting at a point in the sky where I HOPE the target and shotcloud intersect.  I've tried; but I cannot consistently shake it.

I am looking forward to this coming Saturday and the CNJFO sporting clays outing at Lehigh Valley.  LOADS of fun!

Ooo! I'll be there on Saturday! Say hi if you see me!

• Like 1

You guys are great!  Sorry for the delayed response.  I had a busy day today.

@Mrs. Peel Stop thinking to hard and go with the flow.  Life is too short, so enjoy it and take the opportunities.  I can definately understand spending more money on things you didn't know you needed until you shot it.  My $ is all going to handgun trainging now  :D

@Mr.Stu  ( I love how there's no space in your name after the period)  With the nitty gritty details, you will always be a lot more knowledable than me, but I am familiar with the terms you mentioned and will continue learning.  Life is a journey, not a destination.  BTW, As I mentioned, some of your responses on the board the last year had a lot of commonsense legaleeze - touche!

@Scorpio64 You are so correct - everyone is just an enabler, which means there's a lot of a friendships to start the enabling  :D

@Ms. 12 Gauge I wish I could make the CNJFO Clay shoot, but can't make it Sat.  Definately next time.

@W2MC  We should all plan more times at Clinton WMA - I am there!!  I renewed my Hunter's license and see fun summer ahead!!

Is anyone going to the CNJ\DC Project Diner in Vorhees NJ on July 29th?

• Thanks 1