rockchef1

NJSP REQUALIFICATION

3 minutes ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

I just sent an email to Tom Gormley of Shooters requesting an update. Old Glock Guy's cite of the date 7/21 has me even more confused. I qualified early in August. My qualification did include use of force, but not holster draw. What (if anything) is magic about 7/21?

There was and is lots of confusion about this and everyone had a different opinion!  It's now clear that if your course did NOT involve holster draw, you MUST requalify or your permit WILL expire on 12/31/23.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

I just sent an email to Tom Gormley of Shooters requesting an update. Old Glock Guy's cite of the date 7/21 has me even more confused. I qualified early in August. My qualification did include use of force, but not holster draw. What (if anything) is magic about 7/21?

The change happened in September.

The form you have for your qual is no longer sufficient.

Shooters is a PHENOMENAL organization and they will let you do the qual again for free so you can have get the updated SP182 form and be in compliance with the new rules.

Instead of emailing them I'd recommend calling anc scheduling your free re-qual.

• Agree 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:59 PM, NickySantoro said:

This thread reminds me of that scene in "Animal House" where Kevin Bacon's character says "Thank you, Sir. May I have another?"

Yes funny -5 years ago same people complaining about no concealed carry are now complaining about the requirements for concealed carry.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Bellasdaddy said:

Yes funny -5 years same same people complaining about no concealed carry are now complaining about the requirements for concealed carry.

Because it's all an illegal infringement of the second amendment.  A tiny bit less infringing but still infringing.  I'll stop complaining when the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not infringed.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 12:05 PM, Grima Squeakersen said:

NJSP were required by the new statute to determine the training requirements by July 1, 2023.

They missed the deadline and published some "Interim Training" on July 18th. This was a half-effort rehash of the RPO training materials, and they missed some references to the retired officer. The CoF was HQC2 (modified)

They republished the "Interim Training" on July 21st. This is where the magic date came from.

On Sept 17th, the AG issued a memo alongside a new set of training requirements which they labelled CCARE. In the memo the AG says that if you did a qual that met the requirements published on July 21 or something substantially similar (with regard to holster use, reloading and firing at least 50 rounds, 10 from each distance required in CCARE or farther), you didn't have to do CCARE to keep your permit.

If Shooters was doing quals in August without holster draw, they goofed. At least they are offering to make it right for free.

As a side note, I qualified with some new handguns on July 19th using the HQC2 (modified) CoF and my instructor signed the then current SP.182. This was the newly issued standard, but 2 days before the date the AG quoted in his memo. My local NJSP barracks have told me in writing that I have met the requirements to keep my permit valid after December 31st despite my SP.182 being dated prior to July 21st.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:36 AM, maintenanceguy said:

Because it's all an illegal infringement of the second amendment.  A tiny bit less infringing but still infringing.  I'll stop complaining when the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not infringed.

I hear you, I understand you; no one cares.

On 10/28/2023 at 6:46 AM, Bellasdaddy said:

Yes funny -5 years ago same people complaining about no concealed carry are now complaining about the requirements for concealed carry.

I wasn't here five years ago. But for anyone here who does match your description, continuing to complain about blatant violations of 2nd Amendment rights is entirely legitimate. Apparently you are content with the idea that NJ should be allowed to constantly modify the requirements for your permit so that its validity is in ongoing jeopardy, and to nibble away at the venues and situations where you can actually exercise it until it becmes meaningless. I am not. I hope it will give you great satisfaction to frame it and dispIay it as a wall decoration.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

I wasn't here five years ago. But for anyone here who does match your description, continuing to complain about blatant violations of 2nd Amendment rights is entirely legitimate. Apparently you are content with the idea that NJ should be allowed to constantly modify the requirements for your permit so that its validity is in ongoing jeopardy, and to nibble away at the venues and situations where you can actually exercise it until it becmes meaningless. I am not. I hope it will give you great satisfaction to frame it and dispIay it as a wall decoration.

^^^^^^ what that man said, right there.

On 11/4/2023 at 3:37 PM, Grima Squeakersen said:

cool, 

On 11/5/2023 at 8:34 AM, xXxplosive said:

^^^^^^ what that man said, right there.

yea 

• Agree 1

i just got an email from my local pd asking me to get with my instructor to get requalified. i replied explaining that the form i submitted at the beginning of this year stated that i took the hqc2, and do i still need to requal. waiting on her reply.

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i just got an email from my local pd asking me to get with my instructor to get requalified. i replied explaining that the form i submitted at the beginning of this year stated that i took the hqc2, and do i still need to requal. waiting on her reply.

As did I. I had to redo the qualification with a holster to get a signed S.P. 182 Form which is the new form your PD requires. I went through way too much bullshit and money for this stupid permit and I'm not losing it on Jan, 1 2024 do to my inaction! Unfortunately, no choice on this one!:mad:

You don't need to wait for her reply.  Call your instructor now!

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

so your local PD's sent you notification.........

Actually, they called me and asked if I did the redo. I told them that I called my instructor who said I was still okay under the old qualification and knowing who my instructor was, he accepted that answer.  A few weeks later, my instructor called and said I did have to retake, and I did.

4 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Actually, they called me and asked if I did the redo. I told them that I called my instructor who said I was still okay under the old qualification and knowing who my instructor was, he accepted that answer.  A few weeks later, my instructor called and said I did have to retake, and I did.

i had already redone it. i've got the form sitting in my own file. i re-read the email from lpd, and they want me to email it. i don't have a way to scan it in, so i took a photo of it, and attached it to an email to the address they wanted. i'd been trying to call them today to find out if that was an acceptable way to do it, but they're not answering at the extension, so i'm hoping this is good.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

i had already redone it. i've got the form sitting in my own file. i re-read the email from lpd, and they want me to email it. i don't have a way to scan it in, so i took a photo of it, and attached it to an email to the address they wanted. i'd been trying to call them today to find out if that was an acceptable way to do it, but they're not answering at the extension, so i'm hoping this is good.

If they insist on a scanned copy, you should be able to get that done at a Kinkos, or maybe your local library.

I do not recommend you give the original SP182 to the police as you will need it when you renew your permit.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:42 PM, Bellasdaddy said:

Yes, you believe you will someday be allowed to legally carry a firearm in NJ without a ccw permit or having to qualify? Keyboard Chest Thumping?

But that's the fight. 

Just getting to the point where we can have a carry permit is just one small victory. The anti gun crowd are spending a lot of time and money trying to fight this part, but Bruen makes it permanent. 

The battles over magazine restrictions, fees, etc are continuing, but they will all lead to the fight for Constitutional Carry. 

Might be some qual or administrative stuff tied to it, but thats the fight...

7 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

......there's no qual or administrative stuff tied to the 2A.

we all know this. but we took a step in the right direction. none of us likes the law(s), but none of us wants to land in prison and/or become the test case either.

2 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

So my question is, on form SP 182 it states we are permitted to carry all handguns we legally own....so why is SP182a necessary....why must we list again what they already have.........

Because NJ still wishes this whole carry thing would just go away, already, and expecting them to put any effort into making sure all the bureaucracy around it is consistent is super wishful thinking.

6 hours ago, xXxplosive said:

So my question is, on form SP 182 it states we are permitted to carry all handguns we legally own....so why is SP182a necessary....why must we list again what they already have.........

my dept never said anything about the sp182a?

Glad to see this mention of SP 182.  I know this has been discussed in the past, but I was unable to find that exchange.

So to carry handguns other than the one with which I qualified, I need to list them on that form and submit it at my local PD?

SP 182a was included in my packet from the Instructor to re-submit identical to the NJSP app. where it also needs to be filled out to proceed on line...........also, now that all my stuff has been sent to my local PD, if I'm missing something will they notify me or wait for a traffic stop to find out I'm carrying delinquent and subject to a felony arrest.....anybody.

29 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Glad to see this mention of SP 182.  I know this has been discussed in the past, but I was unable to find that exchange.

So to carry handguns other than the one with which I qualified, I need to list them on that form and submit it at my local PD?

The SP.182 is the form that your instructor signs as proof that you completed the training.

The additional form, the SP.182a does not require your instructor's signature, and is a form to tell the PD which guns you intend to carry.