maintenanceguy

Most Carry Qualification Requirements Erased 9-17-23

On 8/7/2023 at 11:24 AM, xXxplosive said:

that's foolish.....our instructor who gave us the course is a NJSP Cert. Instructor so.....seems to me at this point it's meaningless when they move the goal post for the next round..."Interim"......has a meaning.

Have they removed the word INTERIM from the official COF yet?  Not looking to re-qualify again, only to have them move the goal posts once again and have to re-qualify a third time or more.  

Completed gun for hires new certification.  Honestly it's not much different than the original. Anthony was cool and I thanked him for allowing us to requalify free of cost, pending you took the first Qual there. 

He's really investing in this it seems. There was an RO with each person taking the qualification today. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Completed gun for hires new certification.  Honestly it's not much different than the original. Anthony was cool and I thanked him for allowing us to requalify free of cost, pending you took the first Qual there. 

He's really investing in this it seems. There was an RO with each person taking the qualification today. 

Did the new qual follow the HQC2 (modified) cof? Specifically, did it include drawing from a holster and distances from 25 yards to 1 yard, and shooting with strong hand only, support hand only and from retention?

Just now, Mr.Stu said:

Did the new qual follow the HQC2 (modified) cof? Specifically, did it include drawing from a holster and distances from 25 yards to 1 yard, and shooting with strong hand only, support hand only and from retention?

It did, but you have so much time to draw its not terribly difficult in my opinion. I guess it is different, but it's not really more difficult if you have decent skills. I also do a lot of dry fire, so maybe that's why it wasn't bad.

9 hours ago, bennj said:

For anyone who received their carry permit after 12/22/22 and has taken the interim qualification, where does it say you won't need to qualify again upon renewal on the 2 year date?

It is right on the bottom of SP 182 on the NJSP website

A friend of mine did the new qualifications and printed everything out. He brought it all to the Bridgeton police barracks and no one there had any idea what he was talking about or what to do with the paperwork. 

• Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

4 minutes ago, louu said:

A friend of mine did the new qualifications and printed everything out. He brought it all to the Bridgeton police barracks and no one there had any idea what he was talking about or what to do with the paperwork. 

Yes, they said that at Gun for hire too. They told us just hold onto it. 

These police stations are not being given proper information.

Yes, I've read SP182 and, as I understand it,  the bottom asterisked paragraph refers to renewal applications. There's no reference to the interim qualification being required by 10/1/23 (between original permit start date and renewal date) from those who received a carry permit after 12/22/2022, which was when the law was amended as seen in 2C:58-4 (g). Not trying to be argumentative or nitpicking, but this is NJ after all.

I took the qual class at Shooters recently just to cover myself.

Class was instructed by a State Trooper who said he was responsible for much of what was officially published on the NJSP website (including the automation of the CCW application process).

Use of force portion was very well done IMO.

Drawing from holster was not required. 

There was some one-handed shooting, simulated failure to fire, mandatory reloads, and shooting from 5 - 25 yards.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I took the qual class at Shooters recently just to cover myself.

Class was instructed by a State Trooper who said he was responsible for much of what was officially published on the NJSP website (including the automation of the CCW application process).

Use of force portion was very well done IMO.

Drawing from holster was not required. 

There was some one-handed shooting, simulated failure to fire, mandatory reloads, and shooting from 5 - 25 yards.

What about kneeling?

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Color me baffled

There was practice holster draw with an empty gun. 

1 hour ago, siderman said:

What about kneeling?

No kneeling. 

1 hour ago, siderman said:

What about kneeling?

No kneeling. 

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I know who your instructor was on your first qualification! Not he instructor at Shooters. I spoke with him and he said no need for a redo!  The original qual he gave his students satisfies the latest requirements and we need do nothing else!

• Like 1

Anyone listen to Nappen's most recent podcast? He is now saying you need to turn in the new NJSP form to your town (and maybe judge) even if the qual was deemed substantially identical. I did mine at Shooters and just called them and they say their training was GTG (as many have already said here) and that they wouldn't sign the new form unless you requalified, which I don't want to do. They also said the township was free to call them for clarification and that Nappen was fear-mongering. What an absolute ****show. In his podcast AC keeps alluding to something coming on this front but it would be great if whatever it is was revealed before the deadline.

On 9/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, Xtors said:

Anyone listen to Nappen's most recent podcast? He is now saying you need to turn in the new NJSP form to your town (and maybe judge) even if the qual was deemed substantially identical. I did mine at Shooters and just called them and they say their training was GTG (as many have already said here) and that they wouldn't sign the new form unless you requalified, which I don't want to do. They also said the township was free to call them for clarification and that Nappen was fear-mongering. What an absolute ****show. In his podcast AC keeps alluding to something coming on this front but it would be great if whatever it is was revealed before the deadline.

Even the cops calling this guy fear mongering, lol!!! 

Been saying it for years! 

59 minutes ago, Ringwoodfrank said:

So I reached out to my Police Chief with this particular question. He has indicated that no requalification necessary until I renew, with the caveat that he will confirm.

Your results may vary, but I’m reasonably comfortable with that. 

I suspect many PD's will have the same opinion.

They have better things to do than chase down some ambiguous administrative item that may or may not be meaningful...

• Agree 1