autoxnyc

Any chance the FNH SCAR 16s will be available in NJ?

I have not handled a SCAR or ACR but there are some things about the SCAR that just dont blow my skirt up. I do not like that the charging handle reciprocates. It doesnt reciprocate on the ACR or the XCR. I like my XCR A LOT. So much so that the AR's in my safe are very nervouse and finding themselves sold off 1 by 1. Im down to 1 AR. I will likely pick up another XCR or if Bushmaster pulls their head out of a bad place and puts a 1X7 twist chrome lined barrel on the acr I will give it a try.

Courtesy of XCRCarbine.com

3rdGenCarbineChart.jpg

As I read this thread, why is the SCAR so appealing to you guys? It just does not do anything for me. It looks like another AR type rifle. Anyway, I think it is legal, so whoever wants it, go for it.

Wait a minute, so you saying its just like a banned rifle, but then say its legal?

As I read this thread, why is the SCAR so appealing to you guys? It just does not do anything for me. It looks like another AR type rifle. Anyway, I think it is legal, so whoever wants it, go for it.
Wait a minute, so you saying its just like a banned rifle, but then say its legal?

Nowhere in this thread do I see where The_Matrix said "its just like a banned rifle". I find this >

joejaxx is 100% correct here. I've said it before and will continue to say it, the "substantially identical" ONLY applies to firearms on "the list".
+1.

Anyway, I thought this thread was done; with doubt winning as usual. :deadhorse:

But what Crazy just pointed out is my exact point. People are saying that a SCAR is basically a AR-15 and that's how its going to be viewed by the public therefore making it substantially identical as a gun on the list.

But then again several people have asked for something in writing to prove us otherwise but alas no one has gotten a clarification on the law.

Matt, what I think is being said, at least what Im saying, is that you could be right but still proved wrong in criminal court :roll: . They would have to because any logical person could extrapolate the entire code unraveling if a precedent got set in the courtroom. Jersey clearly hates gun owners. If it was found in our favor, then evil folding stocked flash hider adorning ACR's, XCR's, SCAR's and whatever else is being cooked up will be legal here. Exactly what they dont want. Then the next logical step is what the hell is the point of the ban if these items are allowed. Think about this for a second. Concealed carry is obtainable and legel in NJ. Yet virtually no permits are issued. Why? The judges. Does this not clearly show the position of the courts in this state when they can issue but collectively wont. Even if 100% right, winning in court is a bad bet in this state in my opinion. They ONLY thing I think that would help mitigate that is a letter from the AG's office. Thats about it. We already know memo's from the Superintendand of state police have no legel value. And even if you did have that letter, my bet is they would dig and dig and dig until they could find something to use against you. The court will side with a decision that they believe serves the greater good. History has shown that an individual is sacrificed more often than not to serve the greater good. The greater good will be percieved as keeping the evil out even if that means you get the shaft.

This thread will never die!!!

So does anyone have any new updates for me!!???

Paul any chance you gonna do a transfer on this?

No offense, but you're just being annoying and obnoxious now. Yes, you like stirring the pot. We get it. But, everyone knows you're broke, so, give it up. :hand:

This thread will never die!!!

So does anyone have any new updates for me!!???

No offense, but you're just being annoying and obnoxious now. Yes, you like stirring the pot. We get it. But, everyone knows you're broke, so, give it up. :hand:

It has NOTHING to do with stirring a pot. I really just want to know what the ACTUAL ruling is on this and not my interpretation or someone else's interpretation. We are here as a forum to spread the ACTUAL laws of NJ and to not get people arrested. And I have yet to see that it's been proven that a SCAR is legal. So I would hate for someone to think that it's legal because people on this thread have said it is, and go out and buy a SCAR and then get arrested!

If YOU want to BUY it, then I'll do the transfer.
It has NOTHING to do with stirring a pot....
If you don't, then you ARE stirring the pot.

Right... well, since no one on this forum (that I'm aware of) works for the AG, there is no actual ruling. We're doing what we always do - we're looking at the laws and trying to interpret them.. but at the end of the day, it's just that.. an interpretation based on our best GUESS. Unless someone goes thru "official channels" and gets a definitive answer in writing from an authority that has the actual power to make such a determination, we're more than likely dead in the water unless some FFL and NJ resident are ballsy enough to make themselves a test case.

IMHO, the SCAR is different enough from an AR. The internals are not like any AR I've ever seen. Simply accepting an AR mag does not make it an AR. Look at the Kel-Tec SU-16. But, that's just opinion. At the end of the day, your typical guy at the range isn't going to know the difference... neither will your typical cop or judge. So, my opinion is worth exactly how much you paid for it.

If YOU want to BUY it, then I'll do the transfer.
It has NOTHING to do with stirring a pot....
If you don't' date=' then you ARE stirring the pot.[/quote']

Even if I don't want one, its not stirring the pot because quite a few people in this thread have been asking for an FFL to do the transfer. You can thank me for the business :)

Now as far as contacting the AG or similar. Can a simple person call and try to get an answer or would this have to be handled by a lawyer or say an FFL looking for a ruling. How far can a simple person get with getting a real answer in this or is it to be left up to a professional?

M

I've been somewhat enlightened! Just got this from CSJ:

The following are not considered assault firearms within the meaning of this definition:

1. The Colt Match Target rifle, based on the manufacturer's specifications, is not part of the

AR-15 series, and, thus, is not prohibited under N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1w(1). Although this rifle

may resemble the Colt AR-15, there have been substantial changes to the firearm, including

the receiver, which is not identical to an AR-15 receiver. In addition, because of changes in

the configuration of the firearm, the Colt Match Target rifle is not substantially identical to

a firearm prohibited under this classification.

2. The Springfield M1A rifle is not one of the enumerated firearms which are specifically

prohibited under the State assault firearms laws. It has been prohibited in this State as being

substantially identical to a named firearm. However, according to the manufacturer's

specifications, the M1A has been modified. The modified M1A, which became available in

1994, is not considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm under N.J.S.A.

2C:39-1w(2) and these rules. However, earlier versions of the M1A, which contain at least

two of the criteria identified in the Attorney General's Guidelines Regarding the

"Substantially Identical" Provision in the State's Assault Firearms Laws dated August 19,

1996 and reproduced in paragraph 2 above, are considered to be substantially identical to a

prohibited firearm and continue to be defined as an assault firearm.

So maybe there is a chance the SCAR would be legal.

So it says that Colt has stated that its a different configuration, so if you had a letter from FN would that then allow it to be legal??

Matt, no offense but your enlightenment seems to be trailing behind the pack. Letter of the law, legal(<--not legal advice, just opinion). What the prosecuters office will do to you anyway.... :o

Personally I think a call to the AG office will likely get the brush off and some amendment would get ramroded through before anyone could buy one or it would just go unanswered altogether.

SO earlier today I sent an email to a Lawyer. Anyone up for the UNMOLESTED SCAR,ACR,XCR,KRISS legal fund?

Of course, where is the guy that started all this?

JoeJaxx, you want it, buy it! And bring it to the next meetup at the Bullet hole so we can play touchy feely with the SCAR!

In my opinion, it would still have to be pinned and made jersey legal. It might not be on the list, but everything new isn't going to be on the list. The kicker to me is that if you read the technical data on the SCAR, its built on the AR15 platform, the piston is designed after the m1a, the bolt is designed after the stoner 63 and g36. So that's 4 firearms on the list that its designed on. Even though the SCAR itself isn't on the list, the fact that the technical data sheet specifically references the systems of its design and names firearms on the list, the prosecutors would have a field day.

The language in the law is so vague by design, that manufacturers and vendors don't want to risk penalties by sending it to Jersey. If I were an FFL, I wouldn't risk losing it over this. As an enthusiast, I wouldn't risk buying one without making it Jersey legal.

Hey, I could be wrong, but would you risk it?