Chad

Let the looting begin...

Police in Little Falls (Passaic county) are searching for a group of males that are breaking into homes that have been flooded with the recent rains / cresting of rivers. Little Falls Police are requesting a NJSP aviation unit to search by air. The group is traveling by boat(s). The neighborhood was evacuated several days ago.

At this point there are going to be many vacant homes in the area. Even after the water receeds, the homes will be uninhabitable for some time. Homeowners had better remove anything of value.

At this point there are going to be many vacant homes in the area. Even after the water receeds, the homes will be uninhabitable for some time. Homeowners had better remove anything of value.

Shouldn't they stay in their homes and defend them?

My friend has lived in Little Falls for over 30 years and it at the very heart of the floods. He is in his home! He moves all his cars to high ground, brings his little aluminum boat into the garage and ties it to the railing of the steps leading into the home. Although his 2 car garage is at ground level, you must climb stairs to get into the house. The first floor is about 8 to 10 feet above ground level. He stays there and patrols the neighborhood in his boat. You can believe me, if he finds those dirt bags, they will be sorry!

The homes are uninhabitable. No power or water. Mold will soon be an issue. The high water will probably affect the structural integrity in some cases. Staying isn't an option.

Based on XDJohnTact's account you may want to rethink this.

Little Falls Police are requesting a NJSP aviation unit to search by air.

NJSP couldn't find their backsides with both hands at high noon. Best advice in dealing with looters is to shoot, shovel, then shut up.

Yo, Nicky's back! +1 on that brother!

I disagree with rscalzo... Most of the time with an incident like this it is better to shelter in place. This will not be a long time event.... Damage yes will be around for a long time. But the water will subside quickly. If you have food for a few days... And some fresh water I will always say to stay and protect your home.

Also... I see no reason why a banner with "Looters will be shot" is such a bad idea. You are on your property, carry away and load then up! Otherwise this forum was about useless. Why else do we subscribe and learn about weapons and issues surrounding them if we just surrender or worse leave them locked up when would possible need them. I am not saying this was suggested, I just want to make clear my stance I guess.

Based on XDJohnTact's account you may want to rethink this

Every house in the city isn't flooded. the ones that are could very well have the foundation structure undermined making the structure unstable. The water sitting in the structure will begin to grow mold quicker than anyone can imagine and create a serious health issue. It the water and power is turned off would you expect families to sit in the dark and the cold?

I've seen too many homes shift during the floods two year ago up here and some were trapped in their homes when the structure shifted jamming doors. Sitting inside alone might be fine for one but anyone who keeps their family in such a condition is taking a big risk.

But the water will subside quickly

Doesn't sound like you have a great deal of experience with a major floor. the rain stopped here Monday afternoon. As of today, most of the rivers are still well about floor stages and drop only a foot or so per day. Waters are still feeding the rivers and streams from the upper levels. debris blocks a good deal of the off flow areas causing the normal flows to be blocked. It could be a few days. After the water recedes, electric may or may not be turned on but the effects of the waters are unknown and until checked can be hazardous. In any event, the damage done is still present. Depending on the extent of the flooding, it could be a major of minor event.

You are on your property, carry away and load then up

Do you think you are well advised to publish on a public forum that you would use deadly force for a property crime. If you are going to gain any knowledge at all, it should be based on the prevailing laws of the state.

So what your saying is, go stay with family or in a hotel while looters take whatever they want from your house. Sorry rscalzo, but I would be staying and defending MY property.

Hey, rscalzo is looking out for the welfare of the greater good, and I can agree with him on that. At the personal level too, sometimes its best to come out of a crisis with our lives/well being then possibly losing it all.

Then of course, personally, I'd stay back myself and defend my property and my neighbors if the worst of the flooding was over, and it was just a means of surviving the aftermath.

ETA: When I say that I would "defend," I mean this in the context of the law. I just wanted to make sure that was clear before someone bit my head off because they misinterpreted what I was saying.

go stay with family or in a hotel while looters take whatever they want from your house

You have a few guys in a boat. What are they going to get. A waterlogged TV. Anything of real value can be easily carried out in a box or two. You aren't escaping a tsunami but rising water and a lack of or possibly dangerous utilities. Anything not taken really going to fit into a 16 foot aluminum boat?

I have a relative who lived through the floods in Wayne for years. the last thing they would do is stay. At some point, leaving would no longer be an option for them.

go stay with family or in a hotel while looters take whatever they want from your house

You have a few guys in a boat. What are they going to get. A waterlogged TV. Anything of real value can be easily carried out in a box or two. You aren't escaping a tsunami but rising water and a lack of or possibly dangerous utilities. Anything not taken really going to fit into a 16 foot aluminum boat?

I have a relative who lived through the floods in Wayne for years. the last thing they would do is stay. At some point, leaving would no longer be an option for them.

After I thought about it I'm gonna recant my previous statement. Now that I have a family, it's kinda made me rethink my strategies in these types of situations. I would problably pack all my valuables up and head to my dad's house in Pennsy, if possible.

A lot depends on the conditions surrounding the home. Last year homes fell into local rivers when the foundations and the area around the home eroded away. People can't believe the power of water until they see it first hand.

One of the biggest problems around here isn't the flooding as much as large trees that had their roots undermined and the earth so soaked that they fall over. Hopefully they hit the ground but they have been known to take out cars and homes. I have a photo of my neighbor's travel trailer they had a tree destroy it. Thankfully it was parked but if the timing was different they were going to use it was their power was out and a tree tore through their roof.

Rscalzo... I do not have much experience yet... I am only on my 3rd flood deployment. I need a lot more experience. I am also referring to rising waters, not fast water areas... I would never recomend shelter in place in fast water.

I also don't have a lot of experience with NJ property protection laws from a practical point of view. Please tell me what I can can't do in a situation like that as it might change my plans.

I do not have much experience yet

Not a bad thing. Deadly force -protection of property. Can be very problematic. But I don't give legal advice nor do I suggest taking legal advice from anyone not well versed in the area. Even if one were an attorney, it certainly doesn't mean that they are up one the latest developments in the area.

All I would say is that putting one's self or their family in a possibly hazardous position to secure property is not something I would do. What others do is up to them.

If you want to get some decent advice on the subject, find a NRA Personal Protection in the Home. When we teach it, we have an extensive section of the legal issue taught by one of the best firearm's attorney's in the New England area. The requirements of who can teach that section is very specific so any course that follows the standards should provide a similar level of information. We charge litt

• e money for 18 hours of instruction. Well worth the cost.

Hey, rscalzo is looking out for the welfare of the greater good, and I can agree with him on that. At the personal level too, sometimes its best to come out of a crisis with our lives/well being then possibly losing it all.

Then of course, personally, I'd stay back myself and defend my property and my neighbors if the worst of the flooding was over, and it was just a means of surviving the aftermath.

ETA: When I say that I would "defend," I mean this in the context of the law. I just wanted to make sure that was clear before someone bit my head off because they misinterpreted what I was saying.

I just watched that movie again the other day actually. All that clip shows is that any side, taken to the extreme, is detrimental to society. Looking out for the greater good at its extreme is as bad as individualism at its extreme as well.

Shouldn't they stay in their homes and defend them?

+1000