Trinidavid

what kind of bullets to use?

I wouldn't use wolf. . . they are dirty, unreliable, and cheaply made. Any big name rounds will be better for you. You may pay a few bucks more per box, but it will be worth it. I look at it as putting regular gasoline in a Bentley. You spent the big money on the gun, don't put cheap ammo thru it. I use wolf in cheap rifles that I don't care about, never in handguns. If all you are doing is putting holes in paper, you don't need anything fancy, just plain ol' fmj rounds.

Winchester, Federal, Remington etc.

ymmv

Assuming you're talking about target/range ammo, I just buy whatever is cheapest usually. I've shot Wolf with no issues. Not my first choice, but they've gone bang every time. I generally shoot PMC cuz it's usually the cheapest after Wolf. Federal AE is good and is usually pretty easy to find. Winchester White Box is good if you can find it for a good price.

I find that when you put only a bullet in a pistol, nothing happens :mrgreen: .

If your speaking of complete rounds/cartridges, anything goes. Wolf isnt as bad as people say it is. I like federal myself in 9mm (not sure if its the same relative quality as in .40 S&W)

I would say it depends on what your using your ammo for.

Target practice and plinking, Wolf and other cheap ammo works well. Its not top of the line stuff, but many believe you dont need top of the line ammo just for plinking.

If your protecting your life with your handgun, then go for the best...which is whatever shoots most accurate and feeds the most reliably.

Either way, I would suggest buying quite a few boxes of different ammo (Rem, Winch, Federal, PMC, Buff Bore, etc) and see what performs well in your S&W.

My 75B shoots pretty much anything. I use CCI's and Am Eagle for target practice, and have my mags full of Am Eagle for HD. What I like about Am Eagle is that its not too expensive ($200 for 1k rds) and it shoots GREAT.

Stay away from Wolf, go with the majors such as Federal, Winchester, Remington.

Whats so bad about wolf? Only people with no first hand experience with wolf are the ones bad mouthing it. Also, for HD, use only a quality JHP or EFMJ round such as speer gold dots, hornady xtp, federal EFMJ, etc etc. With "ball" (FMJ) ammunition you reduce your stopping power SIGNIFICANTLY and also risk over penetration. So your shot could go through the badguy, not hurt him much, then through a wall and into your family member. I'de rather have the round stop in the badguy and him go down...

Wolf is very good ammo.

It does require more cleaning however it is good and makes it up in price, as long as you do not need the brass to reload.

HOWEVER, for rifle ammo, in a semi automatic, It will feed perfect in any AK, however in AR's, and Sig's.... there is a possibility that it will jam it up.

A few of us on the forum went to Dix and had first hand experience with this. Guns with high tolerances, such as Colt's, Sig 556's, etc, will not cycle Wolf Ammo. Only brass cased stuff. Guns with more loose tolerances, such as Stag's, DPMS's, will cycle it just fine.

My experience with ARs and Wolf has been different than Maksim's. The 2 ARs I've seen have issues with Wolf were a Bushmaster and a DPMS. Both had cases that wouldn't extract. I've heard (but not seen) from another NJGF member of one Stag choke on Wolf. I've seen at least one Colt (in a carbine class) handle Wolf just fine. My DD and BCM ARs will eat Wolf all day and ask for more. None of this is a large enough statistical sample to really come to a definitive conclusion, but, that's just what I've personally seen.

A lot of the problem with Wolf seems to have come from the older style lacquered rounds that would gunk up the chamber and cause cases to get stuck during extraction. I could be wrong, but I believe all of the Wolf I've shot has been the newer polymer coated stuff.

My experience with ARs and Wolf has been different than Maksim's. The 2 ARs I've seen have issues with Wolf were a Bushmaster and a DPMS. Both had cases that wouldn't extract. I've heard (but not seen) from another NJGF member of one Stag choke on Wolf. I've seen at least one Colt (in a carbine class) handle Wolf just fine. My DD and BCM ARs will eat Wolf all day and ask for more. None of this is a large enough statistical sample to really come to a definitive conclusion, but, that's just what I've personally seen.

A lot of the problem with Wolf seems to have come from the older style lacquered rounds that would gunk up the chamber and cause cases to get stuck during extraction. I could be wrong, but I believe all of the Wolf I've shot has been the newer polymer coated stuff.

Correct. This is the newest wolf stuff... except now it just would cycle it. extracted just fine in both colt match and sig, just wouldnt cycle the next one. I guess just try it.

Though I have yet to see an AK that wouldnt.

On the flip side, I saw a PTR-91 that would only cycle steel cased stuff, and would not cycle brass cased ammo.

I've heard (but not seen) from another NJGF member of one Stag choke on Wolf.

That was me Pete :D

I had a few rounds get lodged in the chamber and I needed a cleaning rod to punch them out. In the ammo's defense, I was shooting a lot and the gun was hot so the polymer coating could've melted. I have used the newer stuff recently and without a problem.

I have a brand new Smith & Wesson .40 calber gun. What is a good brand of bullets I should use? A friend of mines is using WOLF bullets. Any other good bands out there. A guy at a range told me to use Federal Bullets. Can someone give me more advice of bullets?

thank you

Wolf is the absolute low end of bullets.

Ant brass cases ammo will be 100% better.

Steel case ammo will wear the throat of your chamber and possible also wear your extractor long before brass case ammo ever will.

I have a brand new Smith & Wesson .40 calber gun. What is a good brand of bullets I should use? A friend of mines is using WOLF bullets. Any other good bands out there. A guy at a range told me to use Federal Bullets. Can someone give me more advice of bullets?

thank you

Wolf is the absolute low end of bullets.

Ant brass cases ammo will be 100% better.

Steel case ammo will wear the throat of your chamber and possible also wear your extractor long before brass case ammo ever will.

The alloy used in the case is alooooot softer than the steel in the chamber. Nearly as soft as brass. If you can wear out a gun with wolf, I'll buy you a new one! And since when does the case touch the throat of the barrel? It doesnt even touch it, I'm unsure of how you think it will wear it out. Ive seen 1919s run thousands upon thousands of rounds of romanian 8mm steel cased ammo full auto. No problems. And the gun was designed for brass cased ammunition, not steel, and not 8mm mauser!

"The first large scale use of "steel cased" ammo was used by the Germans in WWII. The steel casing is really a mailable alloy that has most of the properties of brass cases. The only problem per say, was that the steel cases would not release from the cylinder walls as quickly as a brass casing would. The steel also had a tendency to rust very quickly when exposed to the elements. The Germans developed a lacquer that helped both problems.

The steel cased ammo was used almost exclusively in their MG-42 . The MG has a firing rate of 1,600 rounds per minute and the ammo did no harm to the chamber what so ever at that speed and heat.

Any steel cased ammo today is made to even a higher standard than it was in WWII. Just as in the brass cased ammo there is good and bad lots. When in doubt ask others who have used that maker/year."

I wouldn't use wolf. . . they are dirty, unreliable, and cheaply made. Any big name rounds will be better for you. You may pay a few bucks more per box, but it will be worth it. I look at it as putting regular gasoline in a Bentley. You spent the big money on the gun, don't put cheap ammo thru it. I use wolf in cheap rifles that I don't care about, never in handguns. If all you are doing is putting holes in paper, you don't need anything fancy, just plain ol' fmj rounds.

Winchester, Federal, Remington etc.

ymmv

Two things.

One, if it's cheap enough and works, why not use the cheap stuff and keep up on cleaning?

Two, if you own a Bentley, or any car or motorcycle that runs fine on regular without knocking....then run it on regular. Additives make some brand names of gasoline better than others gunk build-up wise, but octane is a different story.

Sorry, that gas analogy is one of my pet peeves.

thank you

Don't buy bullets...Buy loaded ammunition. :deadhorse:

And make sure you don't use clips...Use magazines :deadhorse: