Matt

Would it be a complete disaster to have the girlfriend shoot

my full size double stack .45 HK USP if she has never shot a handgun? I want her to experience shooting a pistol without having to buy one that she can shoot without knowing if she will like it... is that a terrible idea considering its size?

yes

Find someone who has a .22 that she could shoot at a range.

If you bring her to the monthly meetup someone has GOT to have a .22

If not, she's more than welcome to shoot mine next time I'm going shooting.

M

I'm not familiar with that particular pistol but I've found that the 1911 for example has a much lower recoil than say my 9mm. You can also buy 'low recoil' ammo though you'd probably have to order it.

Or like the others said, see if you can go with someone else who has a 22.

You know her better than any of us. If you think she's up for it, why not? That's to include being safe, etc.

Just the other day, I had a lady go to the range with my buddy and I, for the first time, and she was right there with us taking shots with the 12g-- and absolutely loving it.

Hard to say without knowing her... and even then.. everyone reacts a little differently. .45 isn't really what I consider a hard recoiling round tho.. hell of a lot easier to shoot than .40 IMHO

I thought my wife would run the other way after firing 9mm and was pleasantly surprised to find out that she liked it better than .22. So, it's hard to even guess how she'll react.

That being said - show up to one of the Bullet Hole Tuesdays or one of the CR Sundays, and she'll be able to try a .22 first.. then a 9mm.. and then a .45. Hell, if we end up at one of the meets on the same night, I can bring the pink Walther P22 for her to try out ;)

I agree with Matt6669, If she has never shot a handgun before .45 is probably not the way to introduce her to the sport. If she finds the recoil to harsh she will be turned off to shooting completely. Let her start on a .22 and build her confidence. Than she can work up to larger calibers at her own pace.

I'm not familiar with that particular pistol but I've found that the 1911 for example has a much lower recoil than say my 9mm.

Are you shooting wax pellets out of your 1911? :lol:

It wasn't my gun unfortuntely (though it is on the 'the list'). Ironically the guy that let me shoot 1911 (older guy, smaller than me) refused to shoot my 9mm when I offered to return the favor. He told me they beat him up too much and have too much recoil. :) Of course the 1911 is all steel where as my gun is mostly plastic so I'm not saying it's just the size of the round but... That 1911 was well balanced and I was able to shoot a fantastic group with almost no effort, very little recoil compared to my pistol. It really was a pleasure to shoot.

Pete are you bringing the pink gun this sunday? :?

I usually don't bring it with me, but I can bring it if someone wants to shoot it ;)

Since RayRay can't make it, someone has to take his place :lol:

I figured I'd just shoot at one clay 5 times to make up for Ray's absence :D

Hard to say without knowing her... and even then.. everyone reacts a little differently. .45 isn't really what I consider a hard recoiling round tho.. hell of a lot easier to shoot than .40 IMHO

this.. and my g/f shoots my 40s&w Glock ALL the time.. it is the FIRST handgun she EVER fired..

while i can agree that shooting a 22 would be easy on her.. does that really prepare her for shooting any real caliber? there is literally NO recoil to a 22 so if she gets used to that.. then shoots a 40.. 45.. etc.. it will likely scare the shit out of her..

My wife shot my XD .40 S&W her time out and she loved it. Out of the WASR, XD and the Arisaka she shot the XD the most (150 rds or so).

I would hope it was the XD, it would scare me if she shot 150 rounds from the Arisaka and not complain about her shoulder.

My wife shot my XD .40 S&W her time out and she loved it. Out of the WASR, XD and the Arisaka she shot the XD the most (150 rds or so).

I would hope it was the XD, it would scare me if she shot 150 rounds from the Arisaka and not complain about her shoulder.

:D I dont think I could afford for her to shoot 150 rds threw the T99. She shot the T99 twice and looked

over at me asked if she had to shoot off the rest of the mag :lol:

this.. and my g/f shoots my 40s&w Glock ALL the time.. it is the FIRST handgun she EVER fired..

while i can agree that shooting a 22 would be easy on her.. does that really prepare her for shooting any real caliber? there is literally NO recoil to a 22 so if she gets used to that.. then shoots a 40.. 45.. etc.. it will likely scare the **** out of her..

I think it would. It teaches proper handling and trigger squeeze with little or no down side. She can get confident that she can hit what she is pointing at. I do think that it would be wise to expose her to a larger caliber later on the same day just so she knows what that is about. This would be important if you want her to be able to use your HD handgun but if not the .22 is better than dry firing learning good habits from the start.

while i can agree that shooting a 22 would be easy on her.. does that really prepare her for shooting any real caliber? there is literally NO recoil to a 22 so if she gets used to that.. then shoots a 40.. 45.. etc.. it will likely scare the **** out of her..

I think it would. It teaches proper handling and trigger squeeze with little or no down side. She can get confident that she can hit what she is pointing at. I do think that it would be wise to expose her to a larger caliber later on the same day just so she knows what that is about. This would be important if you want her to be able to use your HD handgun but if not the .22 is better than dry firing learning good habits from the start.

I had my g/f load, unload, ready the firearm, and clear it before she EVER handled it with live ammo.. taught correct hand placement, and aiming procedures.. while i DO agree the fact that a 22 gives SOME physical feedback, I would just have concerns that getting TOO used to the minimal recoil would make any substantial caliber that much scarier.. but if you utilize YOUR example in which the user is exposed to higher calibers in the same day... i think you would be good to go.

This Sorry Damage I have to disagree.. Good habits learned with a low-recoil platform like a .22 then carry over when you ramp up. Plus sight picture, and return to target is a lot easier with little or no muzzle jump. I usually start with a .22 to get the basics down, then transition to a .380 .38 spl, or 9mm, once she is comfortable with THAT then we can make the jump to .40 or .45 if she is comfortable and wants to.

This Sorry Damage I have to disagree.. Good habits learned with a low-recoil platform like a .22 then carry over when you ramp up. Plus sight picture, and return to target is a lot easier with little or no muzzle jump. I usually start with a .22 to get the basics down, then transition to a .380 .38 spl, or 9mm, once she is comfortable with THAT then we can make the jump to .40 or .45 if she is comfortable and wants to.

no I agree.. that makes total sense... I guess I was lucky.. the 40 worked well.. she was on paper in no time.. and center mass shortly after.. = )

but i DO see your point in gradually moving up.. makes total sense..

I was in the same boat. I have wanted to take my gf shooting for sometime since we have been together for over 3 years now. figured if i could get her to enjoy shooting then we could spend time together doing something I actually like haha.

I actually started out teaching her about the guns at home. having her help me clean them and showing her how to handle them safely long before we ever got to the range. so after i knew she had learned all the rules I took her to the range and let her start out with my Ruger single Six revolver which is a .22 and let her find her stance and have some fun. now the problem is the next caliber up handgun i have is a .40S&W after about an hour of her shooting the .22 she felt she was ready to try her hand at the .40. I stood close by and she just couldn't handle it. now she is kinda scared of .40 cal but still wants to work her way up to it. I kinda wanna buy a 9mm so she can give that a try.

I agree with many of the above posters, start her out with a smaller caliber handgun if you could (.22 or 9mm) then work her way up.

If you cant, chamber one round and let her shoot individual rounds until she can shoot a whole mag.

My gf was always into shooting as her dad was an avid hunter. She was used to shooting rifles, but not handguns. So I took her under my wing, and gave her a Guns 101 class one night. I had all my guns out, showing her what is what and what the actions are on each, cleaned some, went over gun rules/safety/manners, and that was about 3 months ago. Since then she has came to the range with me about 5-7 times and loves every minute of it.