Shane45

NJGF Top Shot

Hey, the rear sight says 1000m on the M44!!! BWAHAHAH... yeah I'm just sayin lets keep it fun and keep politics to a minimum. I'll certainly try to shoot 1000m or whatever. I'm not ashamed if I don't hit anything. At least I can say I had fun trying.

I do like the idea of shooting, then passing the weapon... or moving firing positions. Ya know, shoot 10 from X gun, 10 from Y gun, 10 from Z gun.

PS, who's payin for the 338 ammo :shock: :shock: HAH!

I do like the idea of shooting, then passing the weapon... or moving firing positions. Ya know, shoot 10 from X gun, 10 from Y gun, 10 from Z gun.

You have to allow shooters time to familiarize themselves with the weapon and how it works, else AD's/ND's are bound to happen.

bah... not even gonna go into the safety rules. They are what they are for a reason... it shouldn't matter how familiar you are with a weapon. Have the owner go over basic operation, safely loading and unloading, clearing, etc. Its shouldn't be an issue... as long as you ASK if you are unsure.

bah... not even gonna go into the safety rules. They are what they are for a reason... it shouldn't matter how familiar you are with a weapon. Have the owner go over basic operation, safely loading and unloading, clearing, etc. Its shouldn't be an issue... as long as you ASK if you are unsure.

Yeah, and under pressure, or in front of a bunch of peers, everyone is going to ask?

The first thing you do when you buy a new gun is load it up and shoot it? I take some time to check it out and get how it works down first.

Long story short, a few people I shoot with sometimes, tried to do something like this, and an AD happened because the shooter was unfamiliar with the pistol.. in the end, the bullet ended up in the berm, because rule #1 was followed, but the point is that the bullet wasn't intended to go there.

On the show, they gave the shooters time the day before to familiarize themselves with the M9, next to an instructor. And then, during the pipe shooting thing, one of them forgot to put the safety on while putting it down.

Not saying this thing isn't a good idea.. but we aren't getting shot at, we don't need to save our selves from pirates, this is a fun competition, lets be safe about it.

Any one interested in doing this an RSO by chance? If not a few of us that shoot comps might be a suitable substitute? Im sure we will design stages that take full safety into account. If we do do a swap stage, Id swap people not guns. In other words put it down safety on, swap spots, resume..... Just remember to shoot your own target :lol:

Yeah, and under pressure, or in front of a bunch of peers, everyone is going to ask?

The first thing you do when you buy a new gun is load it up and shoot it? I take some time to check it out and get how it works down first.

Long story short, a few people I shoot with sometimes, tried to do something like this, and an AD happened because the shooter was unfamiliar with the pistol.. in the end, the bullet ended up in the berm, because rule #1 was followed, but the point is that the bullet wasn't intended to go there.

On the show, they gave the shooters time the day before to familiarize themselves with the M9, next to an instructor. And then, during the pipe shooting thing, one of them forgot to put the safety on while putting it down.

Not saying this thing isn't a good idea.. but we aren't getting shot at, we don't need to save our selves from pirates, this is a fun competition, lets be safe about it.

When I did the pistol training class with Chris at MDTS a few weeks ago we performed a drill called 'malfunction junction'. Basically you run up to the table, grab the first pistol, aim at the target and pull the trigger. When it fails to go off you run through the malfunction drills (One actually fired the first time as it was out of battery and slid into battery when I picked it off the table, like you said always need to be safe). Then you shoot the steel plate downrange and pick up the next pistol and repeat (There were 7 pistols total). The pistols were pulled from the participants and we had mostly Glocks, a Beretta and a Ruger (They all had to be 9mm to prevent an accidental ammo swap). The interesting thing was that the Beretta messed most people up (including not only myself but ironically the guns owner as well) as the safety was on (who builds a pistol with a safety! :) ).

The idea was to not only force you to clear the gun under stress but also to simulate the idea of having to pick up someone else's handgun and be able to operate it in an emergency. I'm guessing Chris has probably run that drill hundreds of times without issue and if you can do it under stress I'm sure in a somewhat relaxed environment it shouldn't be a problem as long as everyone follows the basic safety rules.

I think the idea of leveling the playing field somwhat by using the same equipment would be closer to the aim of the competition as well.

Sounds like fun count me in. Gow about squads based on geographical local. I am on TIM's team.

I got my squad!! Ray Ray, Matt(Pinky) and Xanax :lol:

Your forgeting USNmars, Caine, ChrisJM981, Sigman, Megaman, Echo Mirage, and ?

While i don't know many of you guys that well.. I would be VERY interested if it's on private land and takes place on a Sunday.. I love the range, but can't financially justify joining another range far away for a one time thing... 8-)

I havn't met any of you guys yet but I would be in!

Also, random question, what is the legality of transporting firearms to someone else's private property? don't the exceptions only allow you to transport to your own property or to a sanctioned range?

That may be true for out of state... like I'm going to NY to shoot. You can't take a firearm there unless you are entered in a sanctioned NRA competition with proof, and are heading directly there.

In NJ, I think all you need is a FID card and consent from the private property owner to have your weapons there. Just be sure that township law allows for firearm discharge. Many towns in NJ specifically ban it.

I havn't met any of you guys yet but I would be in!

Also, random question, what is the legality of transporting firearms to someone else's private property? don't the exceptions only allow you to transport to your own property or to a sanctioned range?

I have shot on private property MANY times here in NJ.. and on at least one occasion contacted the state police due to not knowing the firearms restrictions where I was going.. I called the state police because they had jurisdiction in the town.. when I informed them I was shooting on my friends land and was just checking to make sure there were no ordinances they told me it was fine and just to be safe.. I know what you are saying there.. but they didnt make issue of it when I asked..

That may be true for out of state... like I'm going to NY to shoot. You can't take a firearm there unless you are entered in a sanctioned NRA competition with proof, and are heading directly there.

Only applies to a hangun. You can bring long guns into NY State as long as it is legal to possess in that state.

If you are a NJ resident with a NJ license and FPID card, you cannot bring a rifle into NY... right? Well, unless you are going to a match or have a hunting license...? I can't just bring a rifle to NY to shoot in my buddies property for the hell of it.

The man above you is correct. You can bring rifles into NY just not pistols

If you are a NJ resident with a NJ license and FPID card, you cannot bring a rifle into NY... right? Well, unless you are going to a match or have a hunting license...? I can't just bring a rifle to NY to shoot in my buddies property for the hell of it.

The man above you is correct. You can bring rifles into NY just not pistols

Thank you Matt. Was searching for a previous thread to confirm this.