hopper

Stock Pile

I was wondering if any of you guys out there have like a dooms day stock pile of food, ammo , water , money , etc.... saved up just incase the inevitable happens ??? Just curious ...........

1. if I was stock piling, I am doing it because I am paranoid and would rather be in complete secrecy about it.

2. If I was stock piling, I wouldn't find the need to tell anyone else I was.

3. If I was stock piling, upon request I would deny it.

but since im really not stock piling I would say no, if I had the money to stock pile (maybe).

Some would say it isn't a bad idea to stock pile some stuff, and some people go all out.

better to pack what you can quickly grab, odds are in most SHTF situations you dont have all that much time to gather your shit and go.

I never really understood the point of stockpiling either. I understand being prepared-- but then of course these days, the "American way" dictates you shop at Costco or Sam's Club (and buy in bulk) versus buying locally or even super markets... so, most families do buy for three weeks to a month at a time anyway (from the three S's [sh-t, shower, shave] perspective, not necessarily the three B's [we know these]).

As for stock piling for if/when SHTF, what's the point of having a billion rounds of every caliber ever made? Unless you live in a highly secure bunker that nobody (to include the government) knows about, there will never be such a need. If things are so bad you need a million rounds, well-- probably wouldn't get out of that situation alive anyway (at least here in NJ, considering you'd be overrun within the first couple of minutes).

I'm not saying its a bad thing either. There are people who take a number of courses per year, and those courses tend to burn through ammunition pretty quickly... and there are other situations of course. But to be paranoid for paranoid's sake is... well, detrimental IMO.

My neighbor is a big time "survivalist" and tried to get me to stockpile food, water etc. I told him it wasn't necessary...... if everything turned to sh....t, I knew where there was plenty of food and water and I was well armed! He still isn't sure if I was kidding or not.

My neighbor is a big time "survivalist" and tried to get me to stockpile food, water etc. I told him it wasn't necessary...... if everything turned to sh....t, I knew where there was plenty of food and water and I was well armed! He still isn't sure if I was kidding or not.

:lol: Way to keep him guessing!

It all depends on what you consider stock piling. I tend to buy more ammo than I need just to have it on hand. OIts like going shopping for pants, if I like a pair and the fit well, I get 5 of them.

Personally, if you can afford to stock pile, then minor shortages won't affect you. just sayin.

Certain religions encourage 1 year worth of food/water/whatever.

Show me a man with 1 years worth of provisions and I'll show you a man with a gun to his head 2 weeks after he starts to use it.

The reality is this; you need to be able to weather a few weeks of outage. It can be a weather event, a "man made catastrophe", a massive solar storm that takes out parts of the grid, etc. If society does not start to resume after a few weeks, the game is up and all the provisions in the world aren't going to allow you to live the life of Riley while your friends and neighbors starve. It's just the way it is.

Get some canned foods, some dried stuff, have some water bottles that you rotate through on a regular basis and that's about as good as you'll ever realistically need.

As far as Ammo...can't get enough. Since ammo never goes bad(with reasonable storage) and if you have the money why not. If Armageddon arrives, I'm taking some zombies with me.

I was wondering if any of you guys out there have like a dooms day stock pile of food, ammo , water , money , etc.... saved up just incase the inevitable happens ??? Just curious ...........

if you really want to see paranoid, delusional idiots waste thousands and thousands of dollars on 'prepping', read the shyt at zombiehunters.org

Immediately after 9/11 many ATMs in my neigborhood did not work. A few did and they were overrun with people trying to make withdrawals. It only lasted about 4 hours but wow did I see some people in a panic over that. Since then I keep a couple hundred cash locked up. Not for any apocalyptic episode, but in case the grid fails, weather disaster etc.

As for ammo, I have been buying target ammo in bulk when the deals come around. I have started thinking in terms of commodity pricing when it comes to that. I only keep about 50 rounds of HD ammo and that's because it comes that way.

When I get down to a couple hundred rounds of a caliber/gauge that I shoot I usually buy 1000 rounds to replenish the inventory. My reasons are more because of deals on bulk ammo, and the fact that most of my trips to the range are last minute decisions and I don't have time to stop and pick up a couple boxes of ammo. It's just a convenience thing for me.

Considering that you can survive a few weeks on nothing but water... Its safe to assume all you absolutely need to have a couple cases of water, a couple cases of baked beans, a few guns, and some ammo. Certainly wouldn't be pretty, but you would be better off than somebody who has no water, no food, and no guns. My guess is that most homes have a normal pantry sufficient to hold them over for quite a long time. Hell, I have enough homebrew beer at my house to keep me fat for YEARS! HAHAH!

I have a few friends who are survivalists, but even they dont have a stockpile of anything. It is be extremely cost prohibitive to be completely prepared. I would say that some provisions wouldn't be a bad idea, like a water purifier, dehydrated food and 500 rounds of your choice ammo. Bottled water is a huge waste if you ask me. It is easy enough to come by in NJ, you just need to purify it.

A lot of survivalists go way overboard spending large amounts of money to try and retain the same quality of life during a catastrophic event. Thats impossible and stupid. Only millionaires have the kind of cash to make that happen. If I had the cash I would plan for basic essentials to get you buy for like 3 weeks. If it doesn't turn around by then you have other options.

still wondering what is inevitable........

Most survivalists consider a catastrophic event to be "inevitable". This would include economic collapse, nuclear terrorist attack, astronomic event etc. When that event happens they expect that anarchy will over take civilized society.

I have to disagree about the food assessment.

I've done papers on Just In Time inventory for my masters degree. Most grocery stores are replenished every 1.5 to 3 days. Some Wal Marts are replenished every night. And most people only have a 3 day supply of food on hand. Cut off that just in time delivery system and we are in deep trouble.

As part of a masters project, I actually took a look in my pantry. I thought I had a lot of food, but in reality, most of my food was junk (fruit roll ups for the kids - Doritos). Then I started to look at the caloric information. I typed everything into a spread sheet and I was shocked that I only had 12 days worth of food on hand. This was all done to help theorize how food inventory could be moved from place to place in a crisis - although my crisis was a glitch in the supplier system rather than some kind of disaster. The question was how to get food to specific stories for maximum caloric benefit.

Unfortunately, I can't upload the spread sheet on this forum. But you can do it yourself - just add up all the calories from the Nutrition Facts label in your pantry and minus it by the caloric needs of you and your family. Males above 11 need 2500 per day. Women above 11 need 2200 per day, kids below 5 need 1500 per day. Kids between 6 and 10 need 1700 per day. If you do this, you will be shocked at the results. My conclusion that if you absolutely needed to have some kind of disaster store - have a couple of jars of peanut butter, Triscuts, Manderin oranges and canned corned beef. That provides the most calories and fat without taking up too much space and the canned oranges provide vitamins.

I'm not too concerned about some kind of end of the world scenario - in a case like that I think that we are all in a lot of trouble and the most valuable commodity won't be food or ammunition - it will be *seeds.*

But I can see a scenario like New Orleans taking place, or some kind of massive power outage that lasts for five days in a snowstorm. I can even see a scenario like Argentina where some food is just not easily available and other kinds are scarce.

Bottled water? I think it is prudent to have some kind of water filtration system or at least some bleach on hand - just in case.

Weapons... I don't foresee the extensive use of weapons or ammunition, although they have a role. I point to the Chilean earthquake in February where men with hunting rifles and shotguns threw up barricades and protected their neighborhoods from gangs. A couple of homeowners with shotguns (even if they work in shifts and trade them off) will probably be able to defend a neighborhood without ever firing a shot. Criminals don't want conflict. They will go somewhere else rather than deal with a couple of middle aged men with shotguns.

Ammo: I tend to buy ammo when it is on sale and just keep it locked up for when I want to go to the range. But I mainly only buy .22 and skeet loads, and It's hard to *not* buy that in bulk.

But that money spent on stockpiling would probably be better spent in other ways. There is a difference between being prepared and being paranoid.

Actually - quick edit. The most valuable resource in a situation like this is your neighbors. If you think that you and your wife are going to guard the house, do the cooking and take care of the kids, you are probably wrong. Good neighbors at a time like that are probably the best resource. The best way of preparing would be to get to know your neighbors - Who is a Doctor? Who is an Engineer? Who is a carpenter or knows how to drive a truck? Who was in the Army once and could handle a shotgun if needed?

Banding together with your neighbors at a time like that would probably yield better results than hunkering in your basement with ammo and hoping for the best.

Bether

Actually - quick edit. The most valuable resource in a situation like this is your neighbors. If you think that you and your wife are going to guard the house, do the cooking and take care of the kids, you are probably wrong. Good neighbors at a time like that are probably the best resource. The best way of preparing would be to get to know your neighbors - Who is a Doctor? Who is an Engineer? Who is a carpenter or knows how to drive a truck? Who was in the Army once and could handle a shotgun if needed?

In some cases, your neighbors may be your greatest enemy. Who will draw the line at letting more people into your compound to eat your food, drink your water, sleep with you and your kids, etc.??

Good neighbors means knowing how your neighbors will handle a true disaster situation. Without discussing this with them beforehand you have NO idea how they will react - and even with discussing it beforehand, you cannot predict how they will react in a true crisis situation.

First i wanna thank everyone for entertaining my question , now let me just say i work at a major retail grocery chain and let me tell you when they call for snow storms people buy everything , i mean everything , enough for days and maybe weeks worth , when this happens ive seen where there is a delay in replenishing shelves of food so i can only imagine if the news were predicting a major event ; earthquake , hurricane , terrorist attack , we would definitely have shortages of basic foods and stuff so i guess to answer my own question i guess its not a bad idea to have some stuff on hand ...

I'm not too concerned about some kind of end of the world scenario - in a case like that I think that we are all in a lot of trouble and the most valuable commodity won't be food or ammunition - it will be *seeds.*

Bether

Seeds are a very good point. I guess supplemental vitamins would be a good idea as well. Not to mention you could gather food, by hunting and trapping. I agree that you should get to know your neighbors and band together. If they piss you off you could always resort to cannibalism :lol:

Well when it happens how long will you need to hold out for to get goods? A massive freak blizzard, hurricane, or something of that nature will not take out NJ for more than a few weeks maximum. We've had some pretty good storms in the last few years that pretty much stopped the state for a day or two. Big deal. If New Orleans was knocked out for like 5 days, You gotta figure the tristate would take less time due to the population density and infrastructure in place. It took basically the entire place to be underwater and it was still getting supplies in 5 days. There are many roads into this area, most not right next to a lake or something that can flood. It would take something of insane proportion to K.O. this area for more than a few days. Something inevitable but numerically improbable such as large meteor or something. If you are honestly stockpiling for meteor you are nuts :lol:. Nukes/bio attack... possible... but then you probably are more worried about escaping the fallout not living in your house for a few weeks. If that's the case a on/offroad motorcycle is probably your best bet. Hop on the bike and ride due west while all the suckers sit in bumper to bumper traffic.