Sign in to follow this  
BCeagle

Spot the problem.

Chicken Wing?

Her right elbow is way out pretty much perpendicular to her body... big no-no. Tuck that chicken wing in. It's an obvious sign of a novice shooter.

And also yes - the backwards mag.

Ahaha, i know what it is, looks like we both posted at the same time :-)

mag backwards?

How the hell is that even staying in there

Do you think it means she is a truly incompetent cop, or was she just posing for the picture and didn't happen to notice when someone handed it to her?

I think she is posing but assume she did it herself.

No the mag is in the proper orientation. She's shooting the new style, necked-UP ammo designed for maximum knock-over power. Like any caliber, they have different ammo designed for different purposes and have different names for each. Such models include a light grain screamer called "The Candy Cane ", a heavyweight crusher called "The Hammerhead", and lastly, the ultimate penetrator, "The Mushroom Stamp".

Chicken Wing?

Her right elbow is way out pretty much perpendicular to her body... big no-no. Tuck that chicken wing in. It's an obvious sign of a novice shooter.

That's not really a given. Elbow up gives you the "pocket." Elbow down is normally CQB with an AR.

It certainly isn't what we were doing with M16A2's and IBA's on. In any case, good shooting is determined by what the shoter is most comfortable with.

Here ya go

http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/2008 ... tions.html

Facing nearly 90 degrees to the target, standing straight up, feet at a normal spacing, comfortable distance apart, sling up! Keep the forward hand open or lightly gripping the rifle, fingers clear of the operating rod. You may want to hold the fore stock a bit further aft than other positions, and remember when you are adjusting the sling or dry firing not to put you hand so far back that it would cover where the magazine will be. The sling should be snug, under the back of the hand, across the forearm and high on the bicep. Elbow nearly straight under the rifle, trigger hand gripping the rifle firmly and pulling the butt back snugly into the pocket with the trigger side arm held elbow high (

That's not really a given. Elbow up gives you the "pocket." Elbow down is normally CQB with an AR.

It certainly isn't what we were doing with M16A2's and IBA's on. In any case, good shooting is determined by what the shoter is most comfortable with.

It also depends on the stock. A pistol grip is much more conducive to elbow down. Try shooting a rifle with a short LOP and no pistol grip with the elbow down. Your hand will be either twisted up at the wrist or just plain not fully gripping the stock.

This an old photoshop that's been dancing around the Internet for years. Look at her left forearm and hand.

I was suspecting that. There is really no way to lock the mag in like that because the slot is only on one side. I suppose you could jam it in but,....no click

It also depends on the stock. A pistol grip is much more conducive to elbow down. Try shooting a rifle with a short LOP and no pistol grip with the elbow down. Your hand will be either twisted up at the wrist or just plain not fully gripping the stock.

I also think you will see more pistol gripped rifles shot this way when the shooter is wearing a vest. Vests have a habit of rounding out the pocket so the arm goes up to keep the stock from jumping when fired.

Also, like you noticed when we were shooting Sunday, the stock on the Moss is a little too long for me with just a T-shirt. Without bringing my arm up there was really nothing else I could do to get a good cheek weld.

Elbow up is a pretty common position to use when firing a shotgun. In fact I was chastisted for shooting trap with my elbow down the first time out and I was immediately called out as a 'rifle shooter', which up to that point was mostly true. ;)

My guess is she has more training with a shotgun than an AR.

Chicken Wing?

Her right elbow is way out pretty much perpendicular to her body... big no-no. Tuck that chicken wing in. It's an obvious sign of a novice shooter..

absolutely not. i have always shot with my elbow out, and i can certainly tell the difference when its tucked in. you have much more stability and control with it out.

I think I've seen this picture before... or maybe basically the same situation before. It looks like it is upside down too... At least she has good trigger discipline. :facepalm:

its from a number of years ago...there have been a ton of different opinions on the mag, ranging from it was worked in backards (Difficult, but not impossible) to it being 2 mags cinched together. usually who delcares what depends on their bias towards police in general.