Joeybones

CHAINSAWS

I purchased an electric chainsaw after using one a few weeks ago. Thinking it would be handy for fall cleanup around the yard. Now I purchased a gas one thinking it might be useful if the power went out.

I think I am developing an addiction.

Anyone else have a chainsaw addiction disorder ?

has anynone serious recommendations? My dad's 60th bday / aniv of retiring from his 34 year career on the force rapidly approaching, and he has everything and when he wants something, he just buys it.

He did however just get a new vacation place in the Poconos oh a whim and he's loving up there nd his new "family"... BUT he did mention borrowing a chainsaw from someone so ...if he needs to gut a tree, cut some stuff, etc... he'll need something useful...

Who knows teh hotnezz about chainsaws>

Thanks!

my backup plan will most likely go boom.

I purchased this one from sears. It is made in Japan not China , and I believe it is also sold under the Redmax brand name model number GZ4000 . I read somewhere it is a Zenoah/Komatsu chainsaw.

I know nothing about chainsaws but this one seemed to be a good deal.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07136218000P

Your best bet is to buy direct from a real power equipment dealer. Not to knock those of you that work for the box stores, but the quality of the equipment sold there is not the same. Let alone the fact that they do not offer service on the equipment they sell.

I worked for a dealer for over 10 years as a mechanic, and then service writer/showroom, parts counter sales. We sold Stihl chainsaws exclsively, and in my opinion you cannot buy a better saw for the money. They offer in their lineup models that will sevice the occasional homeowner all the way up to professional lumberjacks. Homeowner range models retail for basically the same as the big box stores, but come with the piece of mind having a place to get it serviced.

YMMV, and I know that alot of people will say that I am out of my mind for knocking the products sold in Sears, Depot, or Lowes, but the way I see it why spend good money on something that will be inferior, and will be a pain in the a** to get fixed. Check out http://www.stihlusa.com to see all the current models, and most dealer websites through the dealer locater will show current pricing.

Stihl saws are the best and I would say a Husky Rancher 455 is pretty damn good as well. After my father passed away, I ran the shit out of his little trimmer Stihl like it had a 20" bar. Finally the gas tank cracked and parts were getting hard to find for the 20+ year old saw so I gave it to a happy tree guy doing some work at my house. The 20" Husky Rancher I bought a couple of years is a damn fine saw as well. Two other people where I use to hunt with have them and we figured we can always cannibalize parts if we needed to. When some extra coin comes in, I plan on buying another Rancher for insurance. I have a spare bar, a few chains and a good sharpener. I should buy a piston, cylinder and other parts for added insurance. I like the scope idea...perhaps a Red Dot or NVG for it.

Stihl or Huskvarna are excellent gas-powered choices. I've been cutting with those brands since I was a kid. Stay away from no-name brands that are sold in Lowe's or Home Depot, those are the ones you buy, use it and then return it to the store.

while stihl is a quality saw, if i had to buy one and only one saw, itd be a husky. ive got more hours on a saw then many people here have rounds through a gun. enough to know its not what i wanted to do for a living. my uncle had a husky 51 or 61 for at least 15 very hard years. it wasnt until the motor had so much use that the cylinder was getting enlarged did he finally stop using it. after buying replacement parts off ebay, its back in use. its at least 20+ yrs old, used every year, with thousands of cords cut.

Your best bet is to buy direct from a real power equipment dealer. Not to knock those of you that work for the box stores, but the quality of the equipment sold there is not the same. Let alone the fact that they do not offer service on the equipment they sell.

I worked for a dealer for over 10 years as a mechanic, and then service writer/showroom, parts counter sales. We sold Stihl chainsaws exclsively, and in my opinion you cannot buy a better saw for the money. They offer in their lineup models that will sevice the occasional homeowner all the way up to professional lumberjacks. Homeowner range models retail for basically the same as the big box stores, but come with the piece of mind having a place to get it serviced.

YMMV, and I know that alot of people will say that I am out of my mind for knocking the products sold in Sears, Depot, or Lowes, but the way I see it why spend good money on something that will be inferior, and will be a pain in the a** to get fixed. Check out http://www.stihlusa.com to see all the current models, and most dealer websites through the dealer locater will show current pricing.

+1

Definitely stay away from the big box stores. The quality is not the same and that is why their stuff is sold at discounted "big box store" prices. You don't find Stihl equipment at these stores for this reason. I personally love Stihl and over the years have run several chainsaws as well as hedge trimmers and string trimmers.

Some other good brands include:

Jonsered http://www.usa.jonsered.com/node246.aspx

Dolmar http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/

Check out http://www.arboristsite.com/ it's a forum dealing with all things relating to trees.

They have a Specific sub-forum for Chainsaws too.http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=dd09d4056f8f9bd05277c32056934110&f=9

I usually check out the Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment forum. http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=dd09d4056f8f9bd05277c32056934110&f=55

I personally dont think there is ANYTHING wrong with the Huskys I sell, they are great saws. I would however agree with everyone else, do not buy anything else.....the quality is inferior. Stihl is also a VERY good company, I have a string trimmer from them. I would not hesitate to buy from Husky or Stihl.

I think I am developing an addiction.

Anyone else have a chainsaw addiction disorder ?

Yes.

I have one remington electric saw, one homelite gas saw, and one husqvarna gas saw. I would welcome more.

Got a woodstove a few years ago. Local tree services bring logs to my house for free. I cut, split, and stack the firewood.

It's a bit strange to answer "heating my home" when asked about hobbies.

I got to say the electric chainsaw was pretty nice. As long as your not cutting more then 100 feet from the house. I bought one from sears which is made by Poulan(owned by Husqvarna). It's rated at 4 horsepower and seems plenty powerful for my needs. You do not have to store gas or oil. So depending on your dad's needs that might be a way to go.

If you go gas Sears sells cans of pre mixed gas and oil. It's 90 octane ethanol free gas mixed with synthetic oil and has stabilizers added. The label says once you open the can it has a 5 year shelf life. It was $4.99 for 32 ounces but is good to have for emergencies.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07134118000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Yes.

I have one remington electric saw, one homelite gas saw, and one husqvarna gas saw. I would welcome more.

Got a woodstove a few years ago. Local tree services bring logs to my house for free. I cut, split, and stack the firewood.

It's a bit strange to answer "heating my home" when asked about hobbies.

imagine having a wood stove hydronic heating system

I have a poulan electric chainsaw i purchased for around the house, i was uterly suprised at how well it worked, always had gas saws and i like the electric better than the gas..

I will have to get pics of the dam dog carrying my forwood around and chewing on it, i stack it and he unstacks it..

I got to say the electric chainsaw was pretty nice. As long as your not cutting more then 100 feet from the house. I bought one from sears which is made by Poulan(owned by Husqvarna). It's rated at 4 horsepower and seems plenty powerful for my needs. You do not have to store gas or oil. So depending on your dad's needs that might be a way to go.

If you go gas Sears sells cans of pre mixed gas and oil. It's 90 octane ethanol free gas mixed with synthetic oil and has stabilizers added. The label says once you open the can it has a 5 year shelf life. It was $4.99 for 32 ounces but is good to have for emergencies.

http://www.sears.com...=4&blockType=G4

Joe, that is way to much money. For $20.00 you could have 5 gallons of gas and add your own stabilizer and just add the oil if you need it for the chainsaw. Now you have 5 gallons for any emergency and every 6 months if you did not add any oil to it you just put it in the car and refill with fresh gas and stabilizer for another six months. You can also use a 1 gallon can when mixing the oil with fuel for any 2 stroke engine instead of mixing all 5 gallons.

Dude - you got to put oil in the gas man... And you need to refill the string once in a while. :lol:

Not if it is 4-cycle :icon_e_biggrin:

I would vote for Husqvarna. Stay away from the cheap stuff like Homelite, they suck.

Not if it is 4-cycle :icon_e_biggrin:

I would vote for Husqvarna. Same away from the cheap stuff like Homelite, they suck.

Newer ones, yes absolutely. The older ones from the 90s or earlier were built like tanks, though.