Maksim

Is your home protected?

I want to thank Avi for sending me this news story as it hit very close after our NJ 2A Society meeting last night.

For those that dont know, or were not there, Chet from ShootNJ, a training facility was a guest speaker talking about home defense and common things people can do to make their house more burglar proof.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/14/conn-doctor-takes-witness-stand-murder-trial-wife-daughters/

Reading that article, should be a wake up call to anyone to get off their butts and start thinking of safety, and having an action plan.

I want to thank Avi for sending me this news story as it hit very close after our NJ 2A Society meeting last night.

For those that dont know, or were not there, Chet from ShootNJ, a training facility was a guest speaker talking about home defense and common things people can do to make their house more burglar proof.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/14/conn-doctor-takes-witness-stand-murder-trial-wife-daughters/

Reading that article, should be a wake up call to anyone to get off their butts and start thinking of safety, and having an action plan.

Read that at lunch. Heartbreaking. Thats what our "leaders" need to realize. This can happen to anyone at any time. I give this guy a lot of credit. If i lost my wife and children, i most likely would not be here anymore.

But back to the point... here you are... you can live in a safe neighborhood, however it can still happen to anyone.

Chad posted a while back, how a few expensive houses were burglarized, in Colts Neck... where the only crimes that happen are the property tax bills. =)

this is sad to hear and a shame that I can make the assumption that the Incompetent Brady's of this country would read it and say "See if guns were illegal this wouldn't have happened." Being prepared is the only way to possibly stop this. Unfortunately that is no guarantee, but it is better than no possibility at all.

Thanks for sharing, Maks, as tragic as it is.

I'm the type that believes in deterrence and avoiding the fight for as long as possible. Whether its having auto lights by the driveway or in the house; an aggressive alarm system (insert: dog); or having a back-up plan for the backup plan's backup plan to get out of a bad situation. Having a firearm doesn't really mean much if you get caught with your proverbial pants around the proverbial ankles.

I also believe strongly to invest heavily into your community. Of course everyone's situations are different. People who live somewhat remotely can't honestly believe that their nearest neighbor a few miles away (or even a few hundred feet away through heavy brush/forest) will be available for assistance. But people who have neighbors literally next door, or within spitting distance could use the tactic. Not to give away too much, but my neighbors and I know which vehicles and/or people are familiar. We know (without intruding or being nosey) if something is out of context, and take concerted efforts to help each other out if need be.

As terrible as this event was, there will be some good to come out of it I believe. Still, prayers to that man and his family.

I have a friend in my town, front door broken down, between 930 and 1030 am! there was a police officer directing traffic 60 yards away! Thank God no one was home! Deterents are great! But if someone busts your door down when you are home......YOU better be prepared to go to war! It doesnt meen you have to. You just better have a good home defense plan. I currently have 2 pistol vaults, 1 on each floor of my house. I will not get caught with my "preverbial" pants down. My sons room is the safe room. and my wife and I have discussed thouroughly what to do. Keys and cell are on the night stand every night! Do I over think tnis stuff? I also carry everyday while at my store!

Anyone who reads that testimony and doesn't want them executed is not human. I always have at least 2 loaded firearms within reach 24/7 when at home. I work at a facility that has a quantity of ex/cons and gang members.

+1 on the torture. I'm usually not for it, but in these case, they deserve it. anyone see that movie "Law Abiding Citizen"? this somehow strikes me as having parallels to that story, at least the crime part, certainly not the punishment.

Law abiding citizen comes to mind....

Yankee, Im puzzled by your coment about having children which makes me think you read 15636215's post wrong.

I spoke with my father in law tonight about this. He worked Super max prison for 26 years. I tried talking him into guest speaking at our next event. Focusing on all the violent felons he watched come in, go out and back again. An argument I use on anti's all the time. I ask them if they ever watch those real life TV prison shows. Almost always they have seen them. They always turn an interesting shade of pale when I tell them 80% get back out! I end with yeah that 260 poung line backer with the tattood face will probably listen when you say stop or I'll say stop again!

I strongly believe that justice is about equal and just punishment. I hope to God that the state of CT deems capital punishment necessary for the two individuals (as I don't think there could be any type of reasoning for them not to receive this punishment).

But all this stuff about torture and whatnot, really? What will torture ultimately do for the man grieving and/or society? Crime is an irrational item to began with, and torturing people isn't going to even began to rationalize it. Torture in the application of enhanced interrogations is different as it is a means of reaching an end (whether its justifiable is a different debate); torturing someone as a punishment is just cruel-- and yes, that is keeping in mind the monstrosities that these men committed (I won't even say 'accused'). There is no punishment harsh enough for these men... but still, no matter what happens, I could imagine it won't heal the father/husband. Torture/stoning/public executions/etc would mean what for our society? We claim to be a civilized society, and yet we are blood frenzy.

aaaah Ben, you bring rationality to us. it's true. us commenting on the sidelines say "make them hurt". but to this Dr. - it won't bring his wife & kids back. unless torturing these animals will give him closure, but I doubt it. it's a slippery slope, torture is...

all I know, god forbid this happens to my family. 'cause I'd go all "Law Abiding Citizen" on those guys. it's not righteous, but I know myself. as the good Rebbe said "If I am not for myself, then who will be for me?"

I know he didn't mean it the way I do. and I think I'll leave this thread alone before I say something really not nice...

Oh, no doubt-- if this happened to me personally I couldn't even imagine how I would feel about those rabid dogs. And its a luxury, and gift, I have to only be an observer in this situation; which I am grateful for.

As for my quote, yea, ha. A portion of it was actually a saying my buddies and I always said, "If not me then who?" I mentioned it briefly to one of my professors, and she gave me the full quote-- and its made a lot of sense to me since.

I think torture wouldnt be as much for closure, but more for a deterrence. I have read all too many newspapers where Jaiquan hopped on a public bus and unloaded a handgun at a rival gang member, hit the gang member in the leg and arm AND a twelve year old girl in the chest which collapsed her lung. Then he gets 6 years in prison......6 YEARS!!! Assault with a deadly weapon....which means if I simply POINT a gun at somebody is 5 years, but he gets 6 years. There is ABSOLUTELY no form of deterrence for criminals, at least thats what I think.

I never heard about this when it happened, but saw it on the news tonight. What an absoluley appalling situation! I only hope that none of us ever have to go through anything like that. Just more proof that it is imperitave that every household have some kind of action plan in place...not that every situation can be covered, but something is better than nothing. It is amazing how protected people can feel though in their own homes, I told my wife about this and she acted as though things like this don't happen. She changed her tune after I read the article to her. You just can't be to carefull. What a shame.

IT is hard to determine what actually happened here. The withness says he fell asleep and then awoke in the basement tied up and bloodied. It is unclear how he actually got himself untied to get out of the basement. Also, why didn't the bank do something when the girls said she was taking out $15,000 because her family was being held hostage? The whole story the way it is written makes no sense.

This is tough and at the same time easy to play Monday morning quarterback.

I spent six years working in a regional NJ/NY Bank where we had over 200 locations as a Property Manager who over saw all of our branches plus corporate buildings. I can't see how someone can come in and withdraw that amount of money in cash without advance notification. We just didn't do it. In addition, having a customer tell you that you are in the midst of a crime and being held at their mercy and not hitting the silent alarm is crazy. As soon as this woman said that, the alarm should have been hit and the PD would have been there in less then two minutes while they were "counting out the money". Poor operating procedures on the bank's part.

Alarm systems versus a dog. Most townships will not respond to a home alarm unless it is verified or a specific 'panic button' is triggered. Plus, most families do not have them activated during the daytime hours when household activity is high. A dog is on 24/7. Even if that dog only provides you with a 20 second advantage, it still is a head start and another obstacle for the perps to deal with. Anytime my front bell rings, I grab my little 380 and answer it and in the rare circumstance I don't have that in my pocket, I have one hand on my folder ready for a quick deployment. When I am outside in my yard, I have a carbine and revolver stashed in my shed. My nightstand of course has a Surefire and a XD45, in my back office I have an AR and a 1911. Forget about it if I am in the basement, which is where my quick accessing vault is. All floors are covered so I can come a'running.

Now the most important part. Harden your home. Put camera's on the outside (they don't have to work), put 'beware of dog' signs up, have security lighting, put an NRA sticker or something on your doors. Perp's know that they have time when they see an ADT sign. They don't like the fact of a dog alarming an armed home owner.

You can't rehabilitate scum. It will always be scum and it needs to be gotten rid of to benefit the rest of the eco-system.

I just read an update on the story that makes me feel a little better about Bank of America...the PD dropped the ball on this in a huge way.

At 9:21 a.m., police reportedly received a phone call from an employee at a Bank of America branch in Cheshire, alerting them that Hawke-Petit had just withdrawn $15,000 in cash and had told a bank teller her family was being held hostage.