intercooler

My first gun! post it up

ok, having gone thru the ordeal of applying, waiting being examined and finally getting my NJFID, I am proud to announce purchase number 1:

I always wanted one and i found a nice luger at a gun store a few miles from my house. This is a GI bring back and has not been fired in 50 years, it sat in the holster. It is a 1940/42 model, number 4986

it matches with the exception of the side plate. This is a GI take home and has all the waffen proofs and Nazi proofs. I got it for 1200. The magazines do not match, 1 is an original, but it is a very tight fit and the other is a old nickel plated one that fits much better(looser)

post-2110-057330700 1284512286_thumb.jpg

post-2110-065040200 1284512298_thumb.jpg

Guest schutzen-jager

DSCN0037.jpg-

here are some of mine - what manufacturer is yours ? markings ? - looks definitely redone - are the grips plastic ?

Yeah, A luger wouldnt be my first gun either :blink: but they sure are nice. Depending on your markings and if it has capture papers or not, you may have overpaid if it was redone. SARCO has an all matching DWM pre-war luger for $800 in nice shape (And sarco is usually high priced).

Have you shot it yet? I hear they are very accurate

the grips are bakelight. the gun is all original save the side plate and mags. Finish looks original and is similar to others on luger forum. I have no doubts that it is what was sold to me. So,no worries from me if it was refinished and if I NEVER shoot it, i will still be happy with it. AND I could say that it won't depreciate like a modern gun will

the ones that sarco has that are cheap are all parts guns that are import marked and pitted, i looked at them online and looked a t a few others at a shop in NY

BTW, not everyone wants a glock as a first gun.... :icon_lol:

so it's cool if it isn't for you.

finish reference:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=21902&highlight=1940+42+finish

Nice! Are you sure that its a bringback? Does it have papers? Only reason I ask is that the parts that should be "strawed" arent, indicating a reblue

Only the first run in a series would have straw, later models of the same year would not. To see if the gun has been reblued use a high quality chrome polish on whatever part is in question. Use a very small amount. If anything other than rust transfers to the rag, it has been refinished.

Good score, Lugers are fun!

Guest schutzen-jager

Only the first run in a series would have straw, later models of the same year would not. To see if the gun has been reblued use a high quality chrome polish on whatever part is in question. Use a very small amount. If anything other than rust transfers to the rag, it has been refinished.

Good score, Lugers are fun!

i have never seen any wwII from any manufacturer with any straw colors - definitely shoot it if it is safe + has

good springs + bore - you will be amazed at the accuracy + pointability - they sure beat all the new plaxtic ,

aluminum , + pot metal things that are currently being produced -

reminds me of that story line from "Band Of Brothers" where one of the guys kept trying to get a Luger. Nice gun, interesting choice for your first, but to each his own! as long as you're happy with it, who cares what we think... congratulations!