7-3-2

Is .40S&W a bad beginner round?

Hey guys,

First off to all rangers fans :nhl: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok now that that is out of my system,

Is a .40 S&W a bad round to learn how to shoot with? I have been planning on a 9mm the whole time but I see the .40 ammo-wise isnt THAT much more expensive yet offers a better chance at stopping somebody should it (God forbid) ever come to that. The thing is I have heard that .40 kicks harder than a .45 in some cases and also have read that its not recommended to go higher than 9mm for anything your planning to use at the range a bunch for cost reasons. I dont plan on reloading ammo right now or anytime in the near future as I dont have the money to drop on all the cash because of a child on the way. Just curious how everyone feels ... 9mm ... or .40S&W given my circumstances. Thanks guys!

9mm would be EASIER to learn how to shoot with, as you can focus on the basics more than handling the recoil. If you have the money, starting with 9mm and then moving to .40 would probably be a good idea.

That's just how I feel. I'm glad I started with 9mm. You may feel comfortable with starting out at .40. Go out and shoot them, then decide for yourself.

Well how much more expensive exactly is .40 S&W than 9mm honestly? Because Cost is probably what will dictate my decision ... if its not a considerable difference (because in all honesty ill be lucky to make it to the range 2x's a month) than ill just go for the .40 if not than 9mm is fine. I will eventually buy a .22lr but i think Im going to go the M&P 15-22 route to avoid having to go through the permit BS.

$10 a box for 9mm, $15 for 40 sw

Personally, 40 caliber is snappy out of most guns, unless you reload, in which case you can make it nice and mild.

45 is more of a push, 40 is more of a snap. If you shoot it out of a glock/ polymer type gun, after 100 rounds, starts to become uncomfortable. Out of a steel gun, such as a 1911, Sig P226 full size, should be alot easier to handle.

Shoot them all... but would lean 9mm.

I'd suggest 9mm if you want a semiauto. 40 doesn't give you that much of an edge AFAIC. I don't feel I'm armed with an inferior weapon if I have a 9mm. I usually suggest a 4" 357Mag revolver as a first centerfire gun. Theres a variety of factory power loadings from target wadcutters to full magnums. Many will say that a DA trigger is hard to learn. Well, its not that hard. I had guys in my police academy class back in the 70s that never fired a gun and they qualified expert by the end of 40 hrs instruction. If you learn a DA revolver trigger everything else is easy.

I have to agree with what Maks said, .40 is a very snappy round. I was able to shoot a full size Glock in .40, then a 1911 in .45 right after. The 1911 was much more pleasant to shoot. The Glock wasn't terribly comfortable for me, I thought that the MP40 was a little easier to control in .40......although still a snappy gun.

I don't feel I'm armed with an inferior weapon if I have a 9mm.

Agreed. I feel that shot placement and round type is much more important than round size, especially when considering the minimal difference between 9mm and .40.

As far as financially, 9mm is cheaper then .40 that's a given but if you end up shooting alot its expensive regardless. Dont say never to reloading, if you don't increase the amount of ammo you shoot after you start reloading you will save money. First handgun I ever shot was in .40 and it felt very snappy and hard to control I got used to it though. I still prefer 9mm because I am just more comfortable with it and its cheaper, you need to try both for yourself though everyone's different some people swear by the .40 others disapprove of it.

Honestly go .40 S&W no regrets. Don't ask people you will always be swayed!

Care to qualify that statement? Reason why he should?

Personally, I now own two 40 caliber guns. Handguns number 10 and 11. One is a gun for uspsa limited division, the other is a great deal and steel so recoil will not be that bad. In any case I can reload down to powder puff loads if I want to. The uspsa gun is like a metal club that I can use to wack people if I am out of ammo.

Get the picture of how I feel about 40 cal, especially for new people?

everything has already been pointed out.. but at the end of the day it is going to be more about you.. I have Glocks.. they are in 40.. I shoot them all day... then other people don't care for them.. nothing we will say can replace some trigger time.. that will tell you what is best for you..

• Like 2

Care to qualify that statement? Reason why he should?

Personally, I now own two 40 caliber guns. Handguns number 10 and 11. One is a gun for uspsa limited division, the other is a great deal and steel so recoil will not be that bad. In any case I can reload down to powder puff loads if I want to. The uspsa gun is like a metal club that I can use to wack people if I am out of ammo.

Get the picture of how I feel about 40 cal, especially for new people?

The second has an aluminum frame. I shouldn't have passed :)

everything has already been pointed out.. but at the end of the day it is going to be more about you.. I have Glocks.. they are in 40.. I shoot them all day... then other people don't care for them.. nothing we will say can replace some trigger time.. that will tell you what is best for you..

Exactly true.

I started with .40 then went to 9mm, then to .45acp. I like them all.

Unless you are limp wristed and recoil sensative a 40 is fine. And if that is the case you should not be shooting. My wifes first gun was a USP 40, her next was an XD 40. If you like a gun that is in 40 get it and learn to shoot it. A plastic gun will have more snap, a steel gun will have less. If it is about ammo cost then 9mm. Definately try and shoot different guns before you buy. They all feel and shoot differently but do not let the inability of others to handle a caliber stop you from choosing it. Before you know it we will allbe shooting squirt guns because they have no kick.

I started out with a Glock 22 in .40 and between the cost of ammo and the recoil (its different with each brand of ammo and what grain you use) I now feel more comfortable shooting my new M&P 9. The .40 round seems too snappy for me, especially since im a fairly new handgun owner. In hind sight i probably should've started out with the 9mm, but now i know. I most likely wont be getting another .40 gun in the near future, my next purchase will be a .45... I dont want to persuade you from a .40, it is one hell of a round but for me personally this is how i feel.

I have to agree with what Maks said, .40 is a very snappy round. I was able to shoot a full size Glock in .40, then a 1911 in .45 right after. The 1911 was much more pleasant to shoot. The Glock wasn't terribly comfortable for me, I thought that the MP40 was a little easier to control in .40......although still a snappy gun.

This is not a fair comparison. A polymer pistol should not be compared against a metal framed gun for felt recoil. The .40 "snappy recoil" is way exaggerated on the internet - no offense intended guys. You need to compare different calibers in the same type of gun. Yes - .40 S&W will have more felt recoil than 9mm in a polymer framed gun. I don't particularly care for .40 S&W sub compact polymer pistols. I don't see much difference in felt recoil between a Sig 226 .40 or a XD 9mm. Grip length will also play a big factor. A longer gripped gun that you can wrap your fingers around and give a solid grip will be easier to control.

A nice shooting first gun would be a CZ or Beretta 92FS 9mm. If you like .40 S&W, try the Sigs. Both are sweet shooters.

From an instructor's point of view, I'd suggest to go with 9. It's easier to learn on, cheaper to practice with and almost as good at stopping, which is about shot placement primarily.

I'm always wary, especially when someone is getting their first pistol, that it's a 40. It's too easy for experienced, let alone novice shooters, to get rounds mixed up when things are running well. 9 will chamber in a 40 and 40 in a 45, but 9 slides straight through a 45 barrel and it's virtually impossible to try to load a 9 in a 45 mag without noticing. Not so with the other combinations.

I can't imagine that someone's first pistol will be their last, so I'd usually advise go for 9 and if you really want something heavier, go straight to 45, bypassing 40 altogether. Besides, 9 is significantly cheaper if you don't hav ethe time, space or inclination to reload.

For home defense, I'd suggest a revolver. Or a shotgun. Or both.

Finally, if you're new to shooting, get some lessons, do the NRA courses for pistol and personal protection - despite what some people will tell you, you'll have a great time and learn a lot. Full disclosure, I teach with ShootNJ, but there are many good instructors here, from large commercial outfits like us and Gun for Hire (see the vendor list) to smaller private units.

Enjoy your pistol(s) and Happy Shooting

G

Oh yes - the suggestion to rent some is excellent. Shore Shot is I think the only place in NJ where you can rent. Firing the pistol is at least as important as holding it. Also, get them to show you how to strip and reassemble it before you make a final decision (sigs score well here, as well as general shoot-ability, but they're $S$). Buy used from a reputable dealer and save big.

G

• Like 1

I started with a .40; however, I shot a 9mm, 44 mag, 357 mag, .45 auto and I inherited these fine specimens. My first gun was a .40 and loving it. Ammo is expensive but I concentrated on technique and basics. My groups are tight and love my .40 .....

Agreed. I feel that shot placement and round type is much more important than round size, especially when considering the minimal difference between 9mm and .40.

Couldn't disagree more, everyone says .40 is snappier while .45 is more of a push.

Try the rounds in the same class of gun. Most of the people who shoot 45 do so out of a fairy heavy metal framed 1911.

A large percentage of 40 shooters shot out of a small plastic gun.

Of course the 40 will feel snappier out of a smaller gun.

Try firing a 40 out of a 1911 frame and then fire the 45 out of the same frame.

You'll find that the 40 isn't any "snappier" when compared apples to apples.

• Like 2

Guns are like toothbrushes..some like firm bristles som like soft..go to Shore Shot pistol range and rent the calibers your interested in -(metal/polymer)..you can rent multiple guns in the same caliber for same fee..lot cheaper than spending hard earned money and not being happy..I was warned about 40 cal, but I find it tame and pleasant in a metal sig p229 as I do in 9mm, p220 45cal, p229 357sig/40s&w..

now if your a hypothetical brand new handgun shooter and want to learn basics and PRACTICE them and get good at trigger pull sight picture breathing etc a .22 revolver with a da trigger. given that you plan to TRAIN and get the basics LEARNED wouldnt that be an optimal first gun to "learn" on

Anybody can shoot any handgun......

What you need is the confidence and control for the firearm you are using. The best thing to do would be to go to a range that you can rent from and try different calibers and different firearms. If nothing feels rite, take a course. ammo price is a useless number to use when buying a gun you have never shot. You could spend a lot of money for a gun you flat out dont like after a couple boxes of ammo and that makes any ammo savings go out the window.

As for my preference,.. I own both in springfield XD and I prefer the 40. It is a snappy gun and could take some geting used to for a new shooter. For me, it was a natural fit. Go try some and make your decision based on personal feel.

Enjoy

Ken

Couldn't disagree more, everyone says .40 is snappier while .45 is more of a push.

Try the rounds in the same class of gun. Most of the people who shoot 45 do so out of a fairy heavy metal framed 1911.

A large percentage of 40 shooters shot out of a small plastic gun.

Of course the 40 will feel snappier out of a smaller gun.

Try firing a 40 out of a 1911 frame and then fire the 45 out of the same frame.

You'll find that the 40 isn't any "snappier" when compared apples to apples.

um... the 40 caliber is "snappier".

The only guns in which the 40 caliber was a bit more tame has been tim's XD 40, with hand loads. Otherwise, shooting stock ammo in a Glock 23, Sig 226 and 229's, Walther P99's, Sig 2340's, and Walther P99's, I can absolutely say it is more snappy than

Baby Eagle/Jericho in a 45, any 191, FN FNP 45, Glock Full size 45, whichever one it is, and XD 45. For slight variants... the 40 was snappier than shooting 45 gap loads out of the semi-compact XD and Glock 37.

This weekend I went through 200 rounds of various 40 caliber ammo (did not have time to really work up a load), shot about 50 rounds of each, Winchester White Box, Speer Gold Dots, Ronny's handloads (180 grain N320 loads), and my 165 grain WSF loads.

This was through my heavy brick of a CZ clone. The rounds felt different, from pleasure to shoot out of a heavy gun to... "I hope I dont have to shoot much more". For someone who is not used to it... it is putting alot more things to worry about, to an already newer shooter.

While 40 caliber is great... I would say it is not an ideal round for someone newer, especially out of a polymer gun.

Btw, have shot 40 caliber ammo through a 1911/2011.... yep, still snappy, give me a 45 any day over a 40. =) (caveat, you reload, in which case your powder choice makes a difference, one of the reasons I prefer a slower burning WSF over 231.)

When I first started shooting a pistol it was on my own and then with the help of an "NRA certified" instructor. That ended up with me tossing the damn thing in the back of the closet and forgetting about it for about 12 years. That handgun was a Glock-19 in 9mm. And it was not until I started shooting USPSA and getting tips from guys like Vlad, raz-0, BrianB and others that are not on this forum, that I actually learned how to shoot a handgun somewhat effectively. Getting the right instruction IMHO is a lot more important than picking the "right" caliber. And when I say proper instruction, I do not mean "NRA certified". Because no offence to anyone who is "NRA certified" but that certification does not mean a whole of a lot in terms of the ability to teach someone how to shoot a pistol well.

• Like 1