DevsAdvocate

New range in West Paterson/Woodland Park?

Man there are some seriously whiny as people on this forum.

If you don't want to buy the pre-sale, then don't freaking buy it. But don't piss and moan on this thread that wahhhhhhh you don't know where the range is.

Good lord this forum is going in the shitter

then feel free to LEAVE the forum, just like the others can feel free to not join the range

• Like 4

LEO MEMBERSHIP ($175.00 per year)

1/2 price of the civilans?? WTF!

how many HANDOUTS do the cops need to get? :girlwerewolf:

someone hand me the vaseline again!

i didn't want to be the one that brought that up, but thank you.

Also a question for rtsp, can we have the option if we're a member to not purchase the $75 rifle extension. I mean i want to shoot my rifle there, but it would be a very rare occasion. Say maybe $5 for every visit with a rifle, the same difference a non-member would pay.

Man there are some seriously whiny as people on this forum.

If you don't want to buy the pre-sale, then don't freaking buy it. But don't piss and moan on this thread that wahhhhhhh you don't know where the range is.

Good lord this forum is going in the shitter

Matt, no one is being whiny. I think it is stupid to spend $250 without knowing all the facts. Yes, someone can look it up at the ATF, but at the same time, so can any anti gunner.

If you are spending your own money, you have the right to want to know all the facts. Quite frankly though, I think the grand opening sale will be around.

Matt, no one is being whiny. I think it is stupid to spend $250 without knowing all the facts. Yes, someone can look it up at the ATF, but at the same time, so can any anti gunner.

If you are spending your own money, you have the right to want to know all the facts. Quite frankly though, I think the grand opening sale will be around.

Really? Not sure I want to shoot next to someone who can't figure out how to do a reverse phone lookup or a radius map given the clues to narrow down the area to western morris county somewhere along either routes 46 or 10. Damn folks, this is easier than reloading... Don't get yer panties in a twist just because your google-fu is broken. Instead, do what Cage Fighter did and just freakin ask someone who already knows. Those that really wanted to know, already know. And frankly, we knew long before the ATF license was issued. Hello people, this had to go before the planning board and most planning boards at least list their agendas online... God, if we left anymore bread crumbs... :thsmiley_deadhorse:

Do I agree with the description of close to 80, 280 & 287, well, not entirely, but misdirection is a tool as well. :girlwerewolf: Also, RTSP came on early and said that West Paterson was way off...

then feel free to LEAVE the forum, just like the others can feel free to not join the range

Because it's so wonderful here and it's so perfect. A Utopia of gun forums... /sarcasm. Really, have you looked around? Do you realize that for the most part the truly knowledgeable gun owners no longer post? The gun gurus are long gone and the mall ninjas are here to stay.

Really? Not sure I want to shoot next to someone who can't figure out how to do a reverse phone lookup or a radius map given the clues to narrow down the area to western morris county somewhere along either routes 46 or 10.

Not sure I want to shoot next to someone who uses this to base who they want to shoot next to. ;)

For the record I know reverse lookup Lmao.

Do I agree with the description of close to 80, 280 & 287, well, not entirely, but misdirection is a tool as well. :girlwerewolf: Also, RTSP came on early and said that West Paterson was way off...

close to Rt 280, 80 & 287? ...I think NOT!

kinda far for me, since im next to Paterson, but glad to see a NEW range in Morris Cty.

I wish we can have a 24/7 range in our area, just like CJRPC!

ANY DISCOUNTS FOR NRA FIREARM INSTRUCTORS?

It's amazing how little people know about the construction process. This is NJ, a wad of cash is often the great motivator whether it be to obtaining items or to preventing things from going forward. Furthermore, It's foolish to assume that a CO is EVER a formality and it just shows the lack of knowledge of anyone who assumes otherwise about the construction "process" in NJ. At least in NYC they have legalized the corruption where you have to hire an expediter to get your building permit. Here in NJ, it's at the whim of the inspector. Frankly, it makes the firearm process seem legitimate.

In addition, the towns often don't give home owners too hard of a time - after all, they are the great voting tax base. Commercial building owners have no vote in that town - they are generally large corporations and last I checked, corporations didn't get a vote... I've seen building departments require fire sprinklers in buildings where the current building code says they are not required. Only a couple of ten grands there... No biggie.

Corporations usually bring in tax dollars and jobs though... Not to mention: the nice thing about corporate taxes that is unlike homeowners, they don't have kids. For every house you put up and family you move in, it's a detriment to the community since that family will never pay enough taxes to cover the cost of services rendered to them (schools, police, etc). I would wager towns would rather have big corporate parks and industrial buildings before they would want tax consuming homeowners.

As for the CO process, it's obvious that games can be played... that's not even strictly a Jersey Thing. But seeing as the NJSP knows, the ATF knows, the local PD knows, the towns' council knows... heck... most of us know.

"Handgun Only – To Add Rifle & Shotgun add $75.00 per year"

Shouldn't this be part of the pricing?

Why should I or someone else pay extra to be able to shoot a rifle or shotgun?

Are the hourly rates different for this as well?

Really? Not sure I want to shoot next to someone who can't figure out how to do a reverse phone lookup or a radius map given the clues to narrow down the area to western morris county somewhere along either routes 46 or 10.

Not sure I want to shoot next to someone who thinks you need a radius map. Just go to the ATF website and download the spreadsheet of all FFL holders in NJ, and there you are. Actually, you won't have to shoot next to me since it turns out to be 45 minutes from me, and so not closer than the 3 ranges I already use.

By the way, the ATF listings of all FFLs in each state in Excel format is really handy for finding FFL resources in general!

Excel lists of all FFLs in the country

Why should I or someone else pay extra to be able to shoot a rifle or shotgun?

Two reasons off the top of my head.

1. Customer comfort. Rifles and shotguns, in general, are louder than hand guns. It's not so bad if you're behind the trigger, but next to a rifle isn't nearly as fun.

2. Damage to the backstop.

1. Customer comfort. Rifles and shotguns, in general, are louder than hand guns. It's not so bad if you're behind the trigger, but next to a rifle isn't nearly as fun.

My one issue with this rule is the classification of .22lr rifles... while I'll respect the range's decision in the matter, I think a .22lr rifle could be exempted.

so I guess I should bring my SCAR-17 to the range to piss people off with the concussion, etc?

you 5.56 guys aint got nuttin on me! :vinsent:

While I have been eagerly awaiting the opening of this new range, I have to say I am somewhat dissappointed in the terms of the membership and pricing policy.

1. Are there any other indoor public ranges that charge additional for rifle/shotgun?

2. $20/hour is higher than any other nearby places I know of, but I can sort of live with that for a new class act place.

3. Are there any other indoor ranges that charge additional for a second person using the same stall?

4. It seems $250/year for an indoor range is not cheap and $350 would be way overpriced

It seems to me they know that there is a strong demand and are taking full advantage of that - this works inthe short run only.

am I wrong?

Answers in red

1. Are there any other indoor public ranges that charge additional for rifle/shotgun? Yes, Bullet Hole

2. Are there any other indoor ranges that charge additional for a second person using the same stall? Yes, Bayonne

4. It seems $250/year for an indoor range is not cheap and $350 would be way overpriced

At $250 per year, you break even at 12.5 hours of use. At $350, you break even at 17.5 hours of use. Will you go to a range more than 15 hours (avg)? If so, then a membership will benefit you. If not, then pay hourly...

What do other ranges charge and what amenities would you otherwise get at those ranges in comparison?? At the end of the day, it's a free country and you can make your own decision.

At the end of the day, it's a free country and you can make your own decision.

This apparently doesn't work with this forum, they feel they can't make their own decisions :facepalm:

And one other thing about CO's. It sometimes has nothing to do with the building department, or the town council, or any of those people. I've seen cases where people are 90% completed with their construction, they put their signs up outside, someone see's it and says I don't want this in my neighborhood and that person happens to be politically connected. Next thing you know, Joe Schmo calls up his building department and says, Yes hi this is Joe Schmo from Joe Schmo plumbing and I'm ready to schedule the appointment for my final CO. Building inspector now responds because he just got leaned on by the Mayor and a few other appointed people, well Joe, I can't make it out to your place for 3 weeks I'm really swamped with appointments. Joe Schmo says ok, 3 weeks comes by, building inspector comes out, and now there is a laundry list of things the building inspector wants done that should never have to be done in the first place. If you don't believe this stuff goes on, you really need to extract your head from your butt because it happens every day, in every town throughout this entire state. We aren't the garden state, we are the corrupt state, just remember that.

Here is my take on it. I have no interest one way or the other in the range, it is way out of my area, and 2, it is an indoor range. In any case, here is my take on it, take it for whats its worth. I was seriously considering opening a range and have done the research, furthermore, spoke with numerous gun range owners here in NJ and in other states.

You might of hear the joke,

"How do you make a small fortune in the gun business? You start out with a big one"

The range was in all likelihood between 1.2 and 1.5 million to complete. Not including the inventory and all the other stuff.

Then, add salaries and monthly expenses and that is where you are.

The public ranges popping up are not for the everyday gun owners, and 85% of the people here who shoot often. $350 a year is more expensive than any other NJ private range, Central Jersey, Old Bridge, Cherry Ridge, Shongum, etc, yet does not have half the facilities.

Most ranges will have a break even of about 5 to 7 years, and alot go in massive debt and have issues, take a look at BA. The only way to stay afloat is to charge massive rates, that will only really cater to brand new shooters, and or the casual shooters (once or twice a year).

As far as pricing, the only public range that I see that has managed to stay afloat, and cater to both new people/casual shooters, and the forum crowds (ie, not to piss them off) is ShoreShot, and to a greater degree, BA.

Both have offered substantial discounts to forum members, as well as those shooters who go there frequently. In any case, an all inclusive membership was $250 without discounts, $150 for forum members (for both Rifle and Pistol), and in no case have I seen anyone come out and kick you out after an hour!

It really is a tough spot to be in, however I sincerely hope the range owners realize the fact that they need the gun owners here on their side. I think if they offered an NJGF discount membership of $150 a year, for rifle and pistol, people here would be singing their praises, no matter if they are located in western morris county, or east. When you are taking a discounted price of $250, plus additional fees for rifle... you will get a very sore reception, minus obviously the zealots.