almiz111

How's your 10/22?

I just finished an Appleseed today and the 10/22 was a pain in the butt. Jam jam jam and there goes your score.

Specifically when it hangs, I rack it, the stuck round flies out and I see that the bullet tip has been shaved off.

I clean it after every use including last night after Appleseed day one. I use Ruger and the clear plastic banana mags. We're talkin about 250 rounds per day - all Winchester Viper 1400FPS. Rifle about a year old.

HELP!! Any clues out there? I hope you're not gonna tell me I need $300 of hot parts to make it run good. LOL

Danke shoen very much.

I just finished an Appleseed today and the 10/22 was a pain in the butt. Jam jam jam and there goes your score.

Specifically when it hangs, I rack it, the stuck round flies out and I see that the bullet tip has been shaved off.

I clean it after every use including last night after Appleseed day one. I use Ruger and the clear plastic banana mags. We're talkin about 250 rounds per day - all Winchester Viper 1400FPS. Rifle about a year old.

HELP!! Any clues out there? I hope you're not gonna tell me I need $300 of hot parts to make it run good. LOL

Danke shoen very much.

One of my 10/22's gave me a lot of problems. I had to polish the bolt, replace the extractor with a Volksquarten extractor, and clean the mags. It was a jam-o-matic. I also found that it shoots Federal bulk ammo very well. It never did well with higher velocity .22LR. I now just shoot standard velocity ammo.

I also stopped using the clear plastic magazines without metal feed lips. I think the biggest improvement for mine was after the extractor replacement.

check to see if the tip of the round being shaved is from it impacting the front lip of the magazine. Mine had that issue and some mothers polish on the magazine lip remedied it.

I cant get my 10/22 to jam even if I try. When I first got it I ran 1,050 rounds of federal bulk pack without even cleaning out the preservative oil first. Not one jam. I felt terrible so I cleaned it then LOL. I continue to shoot bulk pack problem free and I grab all the discarded ammo from the misfire can at the range and I shoot that too as freebee plinking ammo and THAT cycles. Sometimes you get a noticably underpowered round and it still cycles, in slow motion. lol...

It just doesnt stop shooting! You must have a lemon

I kinda agree with Glenn, I have thrown thousands of rounds through my K10/22T without a hitch. Even my Mark III shoots everything, only a couple of times did it mush the soft ends of Winchester bulk hollow points.

My experience has been similar to glennp's. I've only had mine for a couple of months, but I've put about 1000 rounds through it without a glitch. In fact, the only times it has failed to fire are when I didn't get the mag in right and it fell out. Popped it back in and I was back in business.

I haven't shot mine for 10 years. I can't bring myself to sell it because it's the .22 auto workhorse benchmark. Yet I fire about 2K of .22 ammo a month and never use it. I'm not even sure I have a mag that works for it. The Ruger mag died from being loaded for about 7 years. Yes, I know mags are not supposed to die because of that.

I almost won the 22 father's day shoot at MCRPC today using my 10/22. My 11-yo son also competed with his 10/22. Not a problem with each, and I hit all 13 little metal targets at 25yds in 15 shots.

I've started only using the CCI AR-Tactical copper-plated ammo. I did a test a few months ago, with 9 different brands/styles, and the CCI AR-Tactical did best in my rifle all three rounds. No doubt other rounds work better in some guns, etc. I've shot a few thousand of these, never had a single FTF/FTE anything even slightly wrong.

Qwik update. I cleaned it up real good and cycling /dry fire was excellent.

One problem I told Ruger but not posted above was sometimes Ruger mags stick and will not drop out.

So anyway Ruger says 'ship it in for checkout'.

I will do that but only after I install and try the magic extractors mentioned above. The reviews of this device at Midway were super good. Almost too good to believe!

One of my 10/22's gave me a lot of problems. I had to polish the bolt, replace the extractor with a Volksquarten extractor, and clean the mags. It was a jam-o-matic. I also found that it shoots Federal bulk ammo very well. It never did well with higher velocity .22LR. I now just shoot standard velocity ammo.

I also stopped using the clear plastic magazines without metal feed lips. I think the biggest improvement for mine was after the extractor replacement.

Finally got the extractor installed. Shot about 150 rounds today with no problems. Thanks for the info. I hope this miracle continues.

Speaking of it I'm willing to part with mine if anyone want a 10/22

I'm willing to get rid of mine as well. (at an FFL in PA, which is legal for NJ residents)

Sad, isn't it? Truth is, it may still be the gold standard of .22 semis. But we have other options nowadays and I doubt I'll ever shoot mine again.