alec.mc

Ruger GP100 vs Taurus 66

I've got a few hand gun permits I need to use up soon, I am interested in picking up a revolver, price wise I like the sound of the Taurus 66, and the Ruger GP100.. Either would be the 4" model.

Seen here:

Taurus :

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31325

Ruger:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70258

It seems like the GP100 is more popular, but only assuming that since I havent found too many reviews of the Taurus.

For those who own one, or have shot both- Which do you feel is better quality and why? I'd be putting this in place of my current Beretta M9 in my night stand safe, I feel a .357 would be (much) more effective. But I still want something that can perform well @ the range.

The Taurus being a 7 shot revolver really doesnt do much for me, a six shooter would be plenty - I assume having the 7 shot will greatly reduce me options for speed loaders?

I think I like the finish of the Taurus better, they list it as a Matte finish, which I like - the Ruger says its a Satin stainless, which isnt bad - I just dont like the really shiny chromed ones. For those with the Ruger satin stainless could you comment on the finish? - Does it appear to be a shinny chrome finish or more of a flat look?

Thanks

-Alec

I own a GP100 and a Taurus revolver. I love my GP100, like all Rugers it is built like a tank. I have never had an issue with the GP100, it is my favorite revolver and I think I'll be getting another Ruger Revolver in the not-too-distant future. I got the Taurus for IDPA (the GP100 has a 6" barrel, therefore not IDPA legal). I had to send the Taurus bact to the manufacturer, the timing was off and it was brand new. I should have saved a litle more money and purchased a non Taurus gun (hind sight being 20/20). That being said, I got the gun back from Taurus and it works fine, no more problems. My personal opinion, I'll take a Ruger over a Taurus any day.

Another option, if you are open to getting something used, you can pick up a nicely used Smith & Wesson M28 or a Ruger Security Six off of Gunbroker for about the same price as a new GP100 will run (~$400). I picked up a M28 not too long ago and love it! Older revolvers are more than just functioning pieces, they are almost like works of firearm fine art with the level of detail paid to the overall construction quality. You won't find the same level of workmanship on newly manufactured guns. The nice thing about the M28 and the Ruger Security Sixes is that these were frames designed for magnum loads so you won't shoot it loose in your lifetime.

I have a Taurus, and I don't have a Ruger. As nice as the Taurus is to shoot, I wouldn't want it to be the gun I may need to save my life. Get the Ruger.

I have a very nice 6 inch stainless Security Six with target grips and Mag -n -Ported. It feels like a .38 due to the strong frame and Mag n Porting. I believe the Security Sixes were/are better shooting guns. Accuracy is excellent

Well it looks like the Ruger is more loved by far. I guess I'll pony up the extra $140 for the ruger.

For those that have the GP-100 in the "Satin Stainless" finish, is it shiny like chrome or more flat/matte looking?

POST UP PICTURES OF YOUR GP-100!

thanks all.

Concealing? In NJ. :sarcastichand:

I thought about the 6" , im sure it'd be nice.. But I read that a 4" is a better balanced revolver as far as weight, and wont be so heavy in the front.

I have a 6" K38, a 8-3/8" 500, and a 8" 1858, and all 3 balance very nicely for me.

You should hold both before coming to the conclusion of longer is a worse balancing gun. The weight if anything keeps it steady. You will shoot a 6" better

Yeah, I've fired a 4" S&W 686 and a 4" Ruger GP100...I prefer the 6" barrel on my S&W M28 as I feel that has the best balance. Remember, the magnum frames are heavy so it's not like you're going to be nose heavy even with barrels longer than 4". Longer barrel gives you a better sight radius and on top of that, .357 mag loads are best shot out of a longer barrel where the slower burning powders give the bullet time to obtain it's peak velocity. You kind of miss out with a shorter barrel. Although, if you want to use the revolver in competition, like IDPA SSR, then you'll have to stick with a 4" barrel.

I have the Ruger GP100 6" with fiber optic sights. The stainless finish is not shiny like nickel. It is more of a matt finish with a little shine - very nice. I don't have any pics handy. I don't have personal experience with Taurus, but I have heard their customer service is lacking. This is from the mouth of a gun shop owner that needed to have warranty work done.

For those that have the GP100 in the 6" Barrel, What is the total length from tip to tip. I'd need to be able to lock it in my "GunVault" safe in my night stand.

I have my beretta m9 in there now, and there is only maybe an extra inch or so of clearance.

Its definitely not chrome shiny. Its a flat, satin, stainless look. I dont want to say matte because matte finish to me means a "textured feel". The ruger site has good example of pictures. I dont have any of mine on hand right now.

http://ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html

Well it looks like the Ruger is more loved by far. I guess I'll pony up the extra $140 for the ruger.

For those that have the GP-100 in the "Satin Stainless" finish, is it shiny like chrome or more flat/matte looking?

POST UP PICTURES OF YOUR GP-100!

thanks all.

I'll stop buy NJ firearms guild and rahway, and check the 4" and 6"..... I think i'll be leaning toward the 4", i just find it more ascetically pleasing. The 6" sort of looks more novelty in the pictures i've seen. But all that might change once i have one in hand.

I'll stop buy NJ firearms guild and rahway, and check the 4" and 6"..... I think i'll be leaning toward the 4", i just find it more ascetically pleasing. The 6" sort of looks more novelty in the pictures i've seen. But all that might change once i have one in hand.

If 6" was a novelty then why do bullseye shooters use only 6" or more? If it was unbalanced and not more accurate, they wouldnt use them. My K38 is a 6" barrel and I wish I got the 8-3/8 version, its almost too light! The 500 handles great, and its 75 oz with a 8-3/8" barrel

Edit: I'm GlennP, forgot to switch usernames lol

DSC00857.jpg

LoL, best RugerGp-100 Range video ever on youtube.

:icon_e_wink::icon_mrgreen::icon_e_wink:

Horrible technique. Huge flinch. Nice a$$.

Did I watch the whole thing? You bet I did :icon_mrgreen:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, took a trip to nj firearms guild this morning and picked me up the Ruger GP-100, stainless - with a 4" barrel.

I held both the 4 and the 6" barrels, the 6 was a nice gun, but overall i felt the 4" felt better in my hand, and would fit in my nightstand safe ( the 6" barrel would not )

Im very happy with my purchase, the trigger on this gun is amazing, very smooth and crisp, the double action is worlds better then that on my beretta.

While I was there I also wound up leaving with a new Ruger 10/22 with stainless barrel, I couldnt help myself. Im happy , Wallets empty!

I will say the the gun is dirty though, I could hardly believe the grime im cleaning off this now, it doesnt seem to want to come off!

dont know if it was the ammo, or just revolvers shoot dirtier then a semi-auto. I was using federal 38 special, and CCI blazer 357

Fired off about 100 rounds of 38 special, 50 rounds of .357mag and about 150 rounds of .22

Good day.

5860676863_c176ff41cb_b.jpg

5861153982_4e0fee9510_b.jpg

with the rest of my junk.

5860603255_c37d152bb4_b.jpg