jcerillo70

Becoming a Police Officer in NJ

Hey guys,

So I'll be going back to school in a few weeks to finish up my marketing degree, But i really want to be a police officer. After alot of research almost all of the agencies require a degree, but they dont specify what type whether it be criminal justice or basket-weaving!

So to all my LEO friends out there, Can i get hired with a marketing degree or do i have to do it all over again?

my suggestion is to finish school first, then decide what you really want to do. you never know what kind of job may come up once you get your degree. i also wanted to be an fbi agent or police officer but things changed after i got my degree. I wanted to be an fbi agent so bad, i even got my degree based on what the FBI wanted or "preferred" (which was law, accounting, science, or foreign language).

MOST LEA's in NJ don't require any degree and if they do 9x's out of 10 it can be in basket weaving. My department doesn't require any degree and you don't get anything special if you have one. In NJ especially now it is VERY difficult to get hired especially with all the guys on the RICE list that often do AND SHOULD get first preference on a job. In jersey there are a lot of layoffs and not a lot of hiring. The biggest hiring department right now is NJDOC. Going out of state is not a bad idea if you aren't tied down here.

Phoenix PD was looking for people big time but has slowed n almost stopped in the last three years. I have family in Arizona and had oppertunities to join three years ago and kick myself for not moving.

-Scott

Scott thanks for the heads up, I'll not promote AZ any longer, by the way, still kicking myself also, I loaded my truck up when I was 18 just out of high school and drove west to move to PHX. I had saved enough for rent, food, ins, utilities, etc for a year so I was set to find a job out there. Wound up getting a job offer but on the condition I would move to Souther Kali, 18, South K wimin, heck yea. Well that lasted a few years and for some stupid reason I wound up back here in NJ. Either way, I'm still kicking myself also but should be out there when I retire in another 5 years.

Harry

Here's the reply from my hometown.

Mr. Cerillo,

First thank you for sending an email to the Howell Police Department and expressing your interest in our fine agency. We have several qualifications that must be met to be employed here. You must:

1) Be a Howell resident at the time of hire

2) We hire off of the Monmouth County Chiefs of Police list. The test is given in the late spring or early summer each year at the Monmouth County Police Academy. Applications are given on the basis of your written score, but you must pass the physical testing

3) Have a valid driver's license

4) Have 60 college credits or more

5) Successfully pass a very thorough background investigation

6) Successfully pass medical and psychological testing

7) Successfully pass multiple interviews

I hope this answers your question and again thank you for your interest in our Police Department

Well its time to finish school and pack my bags for PA. And ill be able to have real 30 rd mags for my AR ;)

• Like 1

Ah, becoming a police officer in NJ. That's what I wanted to do, back before the cruel world of retail crushed my spirit. Back when I entered community college, I thought I'd get a police job right out of graduation. How naive was I!

It wasn't even until after I graduated and joined the local volunteer fire dept and ambulance squad (thinking that would boost my chances) that I even heard the term civil service test. I was like, wtf is that? You'd think that would be mentioned at least once during a criminal justice program, but no.

After realizing how competitive it was, and that I had really no credentials that made me stand out, I eventually gave up and let go of that dream. I'm not saying that to sell myself short, but rather to acknowledge the reality that I am from the dime-a-dozen category of wannabees.

Personally, I think that the colleges should offer an entry seminar into the criminal justice program to inform incoming students that the job market for police officers is slim. Had I known, I might have just selected a different major and career path, because those criminal justice courses haven't really done anything for me, careerwise or otherwise (ok, I'll admit it makes me feel smarter when watching shows like Law & Order, but that's as far as it goes).

• Like 1

In North Bergen (Hudson County) all that is required is a G.E.D. (Good Enough Diploma). You have to score High enough on the Civil Service exam, be a township resident for at least a year prior to taking the test. Have no felonies. Depending on how politically in you are, you can even have minor DP's. If you have active military you go to the top of the list and rightly so.

I retired in '09 at 46 years old. I voted for the fat slob Christie and he is killing the newer guys. I had a real good run, but the neighborhood has changed, and would try to talk my sons out of it if possible. I have a pretty good pension that I collect now and lifetime benefits. That is all gonna change, as guys with less than 20 years have to pay a third and im sure as time goes on will get worse not better.

I was PBA president when I retired and the contract that I negotiated prior to leaving gave us 4% across the board for 4 years and no give backs. THose days are long over with towns giving 2% plus paying more for youe Benes, which means you are losing income every year not gaining.

Being a cop in 80's was fun and I made some good freindships, but I would not go back now for double the salary.

Good luck and Im sure the decision you make will be the right one for you.

Stuntman

You should know my uncle John polatta! He's the head of the nj retired state police. He's the man

When you mean State Police, do you mean STFA? (State Police Fraternal Association) As the PBA is a different union. The President is now Anthony Wieners from Belleville PD. Prior to that it was that fat slob, from Oakland PD who got in a jam with the Waterfront commision.

There are a ton of Polatta's from Palisades Park. One of the was a Union Firemen for the North Hudson Regional Fire Dept.(I think a Captain when he went out) He went out on a disabilty but was one of the most professinal guys I know. If he is related, Im sure he is a solid guy.

Ah, becoming a police officer in NJ. That's what I wanted to do, back before the cruel world of retail crushed my spirit. Back when I entered community college, I thought I'd get a police job right out of graduation. How naive was I!

It wasn't even until after I graduated and joined the local volunteer fire dept and ambulance squad (thinking that would boost my chances) that I even heard the term civil service test. I was like, wtf is that? You'd think that would be mentioned at least once during a criminal justice program, but no.

After realizing how competitive it was, and that I had really no credentials that made me stand out, I eventually gave up and let go of that dream. I'm not saying that to sell myself short, but rather to acknowledge the reality that I am from the dime-a-dozen category of wannabees.

Personally, I think that the colleges should offer an entry seminar into the criminal justice program to inform incoming students that the job market for police officers is slim. Had I known, I might have just selected a different major and career path, because those criminal justice courses haven't really done anything for me, careerwise or otherwise (ok, I'll admit it makes me feel smarter when watching shows like Law & Order, but that's as far as it goes).

Not to be a Prick, but a CJ degree is about as useful in the REAL world as one in Applied Basketweaving.the vast majority of the time the classes are being taught by people who have never served a DAY in the field and have no clue ow what the Criminal Justice world outside of the textbooks is. If you are serious about being a cop, ABSOLUTELY get a Degree, but get it in something USEFUL, Such as Business, or Public Management.

Not to be a Prick, but a CJ degree is about as useful in the REAL world as one in Applied Basketweaving.the vast majority of the time the classes are being taught by people who have never served a DAY in the field and have no clue ow what the Criminal Justice world outside of the textbooks is. If you are serious about being a cop, ABSOLUTELY get a Degree, but get it in something USEFUL, Such as Business, or Public Management.

Just as a side question, what do you need to enter the forensic divisions? i have a science degree and was always interested in the field, but i never get answers when i e-mail these agencies, NJSP and local sheriff depts. I was told you basically need a masters or Doctorate for lab work, but i'm more interested in the field work. I got more info from the CIA when i asked them, but no way am i moving to DC.

Just as a side question, what do you need to enter the forensic divisions? i have a science degree and was always interested in the field, but i never get answers when i e-mail these agencies, NJSP and local sheriff depts. I was told you basically need a masters or Doctorate for lab work, but i'm more interested in the field work.

Be an ex-stripper 5'11" tall with red hair and a nice rack :)

Just as a side question, what do you need to enter the forensic divisions? i have a science degree and was always interested in the field, but i never get answers when i e-mail these agencies, NJSP and local sheriff depts. I was told you basically need a masters or Doctorate for lab work, but i'm more interested in the field work. I got more info from the CIA when i asked them, but no way am i moving to DC.

i know a little bit about the job. :p

do you want to be in the field collecting evidence or do you want to do lab work? lab work requires a science bs degree and 3 years lab experience, a masters with 2 yrs of lab experience or a phd with no lab experience. you also must pass the civil service test and hopefully score high enough on the list.

if you want to collect evidence in the field, you need to be an officer. i don't think a science degree is required for that. when lab guys show up at a crime scene, they're just there to "assist". they don't take over the scene like on tv. lol

i know a little bit about the job. :p

do you want to be in the field collecting evidence or do you want to do lab work? lab work requires a science bs degree and 3 years lab experience, a masters with 2 yrs of lab experience or a phd with no lab experience. you also must pass the civil service test and hopefully score high enough on the list.

if you want to collect evidence in the field, you need to be an officer. i don't think a science degree is required for that. when lab guys show up at a crime scene, they're just there to "assist". they don't take over the scene like on tv. lol

I'm far more interested in the field work, i just never got any strait answers about it. Working in the labs is much more strait forward in respect to prerequisites. I would probably enjoy either one, and it looks like to work in the field you need to have a couple years as an officer and to work in the lab you need a couple years in a lab.

I fully agree with your first statement about how useful it is. I just wish I had known at the time, and I might have pursued a degree that might actually have landed me a real job. However, most of my courses were taught by either retired police officers or by practicing attorneys. That may not be the case anymore with the college I went to, or at other colleges.

The point I was making earlier was that there ought to be some kind of seminar required before entering a criminal justice major--basically to tell students that job opportunities are slim and they shouldn't expect a miracle after they graduate. Also, explain to them that careers in law enforcement are NOT limited to criminal justice majors; agencies now are looking for diverse backgrounds.

One last point I'll make is that none of my courses even introduced material that was specific to NJ, such as reading over a few NJ statutes. Wouldn't that make sense in a criminal justice course? Instead, we were learning about the history of mug shots, and biographies of the first criminologists, nothing that would be useful towards policing. While they were teaching us terms like felony and misdemeanor, they left out that NJ law doesn't use these terms. Instead, NJ law uses the terms crime and offense.

Ok well from my experience civil service towns normally do not require a college degree.... And in some cases a management degree or computer science degree can be more beneficial then a criminal just degree...( my buddy has his cj degree and has yet to.hear back. From one agency) and as for a degree its not.neccesarry Atleast not in my are (Jackson) I got picked up by ocean county doc as a corrections officer off the last list with just high school . Even ocean county sheriffs require just a hs diploma. That being said, degrees do help, and in most instances you need a degree to get promoted. And you also get extra money in most cases for your degree. That being said....nj is not a easy place to be hired... And there is really no job security. Layoffa is common now of.days in high crime communites. May I suggest maybe southern states. Arizona is great when they hire and in some.cases its 100% pension after 20 years with health benefits. If you want any help though filling out applications, or general questions just pm me.I.would be.more then happy to.help

Ok well from my experience civil service towns normally do not require a college degree.... And in some cases a management degree or computer science degree can be more beneficial then a criminal just degree...( my buddy has his cj degree and has yet to.hear back. From one agency) and as for a degree its not.neccesarry Atleast not in my are (Jackson) I got picked up by ocean county doc as a corrections officer off the last list with just high school . Even ocean county sheriffs require just a hs diploma. That being said, degrees do help, and in most instances you need a degree to get promoted. And you also get extra money in most cases for your degree. That being said....nj is not a easy place to be hired... And there is really no job security. Layoffa is common now of.days in high crime communites. May I suggest maybe southern states. Arizona is great when they hire and in some.cases its 100% pension after 20 years with health benefits. If you want any help though filling out applications, or general questions just pm me.I.would be.more then happy to.help

My neighboring town will be requiring that new hires have a 4 year degree from a nationally accredited university, just read it this week in the news paper, they also make close to 70k their second year, if u ask me for the amount of money they make they should need a degree. There is no paygrade for education in law enforcement i've ever herd of... its not like being a teacher, a degree is either required or not, and has no bearing on pay. Getting promoted has nothing to do with a degree as well, you take a test and if you score high enough and a spot opens up you get promoted.

The point I was making earlier was that there ought to be some kind of seminar required before entering a criminal justice major--basically to tell students that job opportunities are slim and they shouldn't expect a miracle after they graduate. Also, explain to them that careers in law enforcement are NOT limited to criminal justice majors; agencies now are looking for diverse backgrounds.

There should be a seminar before anyone goes to college that covers this topic. Just because you go to college doesn't mean you get a job. The fact is your going to college your a big boy, you pick your career and do what needs to be done. No one is going to take your hand and walk you through life, especially a college which is run more like a business... they dont care what you do after them, they just want your 4 year enrollment. God, i cant tell you how many people just barely scathe by in my field, why spend all that money and time and have barely anything to show for it except a piece of paper.

My neighboring town will be requiring that new hires have a 4 year degree from a nationally accredited university, just read it this week in the news paper, they also make close to 70k their second year, if u ask me for the amount of money they make they should need a degree. There is no paygrade for education in law enforcement i've ever herd of... its not like being a teacher, a degree is either required or not, and has no bearing on pay. Getting promoted has nothing to do with a degree as well, you take a test and if you score high enough and a spot opens up you get promoted.

In my department you get a pay differential for your education after high school degree, Manchester township you need a bachelors to make captain.. There plenty of departments that you need a degree to take the promotion exam. After sgt. but even in civil service and chiefs towns... Pay differentials are based on college degree and promotions. And now... As per the ptc you will be required to pass a physical training test with 200 points or better. It's a new thing for this civil service certification list.

In my department you get a pay differential for your education after high school degree, and promotions.....you obviously have no idea what ur talking about, Manchester township you need a bachelors to make captain.. There plenty of departments that you need a degree to take the promotion exam. After sgt. So yeah . I don't know where you get your info from, but even in civil service andmchiefsmtowns... Pay differentials are based on college degree and promotions.

+1

-Scott

• Like 1

In my department you get a pay differential for your education after high school degree, Manchester township you need a bachelors to make captain.. There plenty of departments that you need a degree to take the promotion exam. After sgt. but even in civil service and chiefs towns... Pay differentials are based on college degree and promotions. And now... As per the ptc you will be required to pass a physical training test with 200 points or better. It's a new thing for this civil service certification list.

That's not what i was implying per say... just because you have a higher education doesnt automatically get you more money... it can qualify you for advancements in the field, but its not like being a teacher, you don't get more money just for having a degree or credits towards a graduate degree. I could be wrong but i'm more interested in the standards state wide then from municipality to municipality.

The NJ State police dont mention anything about pay differential, but i have seen other states do it, so it leads to me believe they dont, but they could have just left it out on the site.

Because u need a 4 year degree to be a state trooper.or.2 years military, and a associates degree. In my department we get 1600 a year more foryour bachelors degreen civil service.is.normally.just your test and a high school diploma. Chiefs towns normally require a.degree..n like toms river

Because u need a 4 year degree to be a state trooper.or.2 years military, and a associates degree. In my department we get 1600 a year more foryour bachelors degreen civil service.is.normally.just your test and a high school diploma. Chiefs towns normally require a.degree..n like toms river

So it doesn't apply to state police? If you acquire a masters? or if you are hired based on military background and receive further education?

Forgive my ignorance, but this isn't information readily available unless you know someone in the field.

Yes it is look it up. It's a minimum of a bachelors. With no military for state troopers. There's no ignorance, I spent the last 6 years trying to get into law enforcement, and from my research, and fellow cop buddies, degrees are not worth it to get hired, but for promotions, and future specialties like forensics, Internet crap, and investigation... A degree will prove to help you further your career ut not necessarily get you hired, except for in town and municipalities that require a degree. Civil service you get appointed off of a 2 hour exam, you choose when u apply and pay for the exam what counties and jobs you want... They submit your test score to the department, and if you score high enough they send you a appointment letter, then you fil out the municipalities application and if that's ok they start there investigation' and there hiring process. I went through it, my number didn't come up for 2 municipalities, and amsherriffs department even though I started the application process and was already cleared medically and mentally, the will interview 60 people and perform the full process just to hire 2 since most people do not pass the back rounds... I settled for a county jail, passed up state and juvi. Theresmplenty of info online and even books. If you want more info I will answer from my experience and research.

civil service 

[quote

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/qual.html

There yah go, I didn't get a link for chiefs test since they vary from county to county

name=cguiro' timestamp='1316054041' post='358055]

Yes it is look it up. It's a minimum of a bachelors. With no military for state troopers. There's no ignorance, I spent the last 6 years trying to get into law enforcement, and from my research, and fellow cop buddies, degrees are not worth it to get hired, but for promotions, and future specialties like forensics, Internet crap, and investigation... A degree will prove to help you further your career ut not necessarily get you hired, except for in town and municipalities that require a degree. Civil service you get appointed off of a 2 hour exam, you choose when u apply and pay for the exam what counties and jobs you want... They submit your test score to the department, and if you score high enough they send you a appointment letter, then you fil out the municipalities application and if that's ok they start there investigation' and there hiring process. I went through it, my number didn't come up for 2 municipalities, and amsherriffs department even though I started the application process and was already cleared medically and mentally, the will interview 60 people and perform the full process just to hire 2 since most people do not pass the back rounds... I settled for a county jail, passed up state and juvi. Theresmplenty of info online and even books. If you want more info I will answer from my experience and research.

An applicant must have (1) a bachelor’s degree, signifying completion of the undergraduate curriculum and graduation from an accredited college or university or, (2) alternatively, an associate’s degree or have completed 60 college credits from an accredited college or university, plus at least two years of satisfactory employment or, (3) alternatively, have completed 30 college credits from an accredited college or university plus at least two years of active duty military service with an honorable discharge

Most people are gunna take option 2....the state had to offer this route after their racial profiling invest and minorities said the requirements were to hard for them to even apply. In my opinion, its government dumbing down society.

-Scott

• Like 1