Pizza Bob

Camden Chief Issues P2P's to Prohibited Person

Article here...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/lo...mpid=124488459

Politics at its best in Camden. It says they performed a background check. Tell me his conviction didn't show up. So we have the chief committing a crime by issuing to a prohibited person and the councilman for lying on the STS-33 application.

Says all this is being investigated - it's going to take an awfully big carpet to sweep this under. They are already laying the groundwork for that to happen by saying the councilman gave the permits back....no harm, no foul. And the police chief said it was an "administrative error" - yeah, that works.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

In the councilman's defense, this was for welfare fraud in 1982.

I personally don't think that a non violent crime committed 20+ years ago should prevent you from defending yourself. A repeated string of them, sure. A one off of which he's made restitution? I don't think for a second that this 55 year old is going to turn into a banger.

As to the chief...is anyone surprised that a conviction from 29 years ago might not pop to the top of a search? I would bet it really was an accident rather than some kind of conspiracy to get a gun.

• Like 1

In the councilman's defense, this was for welfare fraud in 1982.

I personally don't think that a non violent crime committed 20+ years ago should prevent you from defending yourself. A repeated string of them, sure. A one off of which he's made restitution? I don't think for a second that this 55 year old is going to turn into a banger.

As to the chief...is anyone surprised that a conviction from 29 years ago might not pop to the top of a search? I would bet it really was an accident rather than some kind of conspiracy to get a gun.

Incredibly surprised actually..background checks for DYFS is part of what i do right now and EVERYTHING comes up. I spend about half my time pulling out archived reports from 10-15 years ago.

I personally agree with Malsua on this. He committed a non violent crime and made restitution on it. Now, I do believe people can change and I am sure he is doing good things now. We also don't know the circumstance of the crime in 82.

Maybe he was on the outs and had no choice to feed his family.

That's not much of a defense in any case.

As some point, unless you're a career criminal or it was a heinous crime, your past shouldn't haunt you. I never have been in trouble with the law, but I certainly am not the same person I was in 1982. I did some awfully stupid things back then that I wouldn't even contemplate now.

I personally agree with Malsua on this. He committed a non violent crime and made restitution on it. Now, I do believe people can change and I am sure he is doing good things now. We also don't know the circumstance of the crime in 82.

Maybe he was on the outs and had no choice to feed his family.

While I agree. Let us not forget the law (whether we like it or not) states he is NOT entitled to own a gun.

• Like 1

I don't know. A crime of that type and that old should not ruin the guy's life. I do have to wonder though, why he didn't have it expunged years ago. Especially going into politics. You don't want any old dirt to come back and haunt you. Also, how did it not get rejected by the FBI or state police?

Not to stir the pot, but how many times shpuld a person have to pay for a crime? A person does his time, supposedly his debt to society is paid, no? Yet for the rest of their lives (unless he/she gets an expungement) they have keep paying for it by the loss of rights (for the religious this must be an issue of god giving and man taking away) and being passed up for jobs they might otherwise be more than qualified for. Having to keep listing it on applications seems like an additional punishment especially whaen their crime might have nothing to do with the job they are applying for. Doesn't seem right. As others have posted not everyone is the same as they were years ago. Not saying I have a solution but the way things are doesn't seem right. I know quite a few people that heve been caught for smoking pot when in college, or even worse actual cigar smokers that were charged with paraphenalia for having a Phillys Blunt in their pocket. Several of the latter were actually smoking one and had several nubs in the ashtray when arrested. My point is that not everyone that has a record is irresponsible nor may have actually done anything. Those that have, have either payed their debt and changed or they are continual violators. I just don't think they should all be lumped together.

• Like 2

If his record was expunged his application would be okay IMO. However, I don't think it was expunged as the guy returned the permits. Not having it show up is a distinct possibility as has been explained. He should be prosecuted for a false statement on the application though.

the law needs to be changed because he shouldn't have any elected or appointed position in the government.

The person must be convicted of a crime that bars him from holding any public office or a condition of conviction as the result of an impeachment from a public office already held. I don't think welfare fraud carries any of these stipulations.

Regardless of how anyone "feels", the law is quite clear. He was a prohibited person, period.

As far as the chief not knowing about it due to an administrative error, or, as some on here have surmised, it didn't come up in the background check, the telling sentence in the article is...

"...the inquiry began after a Camden police officer told state police that Thomson was made aware of Jenkins' record when he signed the permits. "

There is no mention of expungement, so why would you assume that? What was mentioned was that he received welfare because he was out of work. He went back, but his wife continued to draw public assistance - what's wrong with this picture?

He seems to have done OK for himself, so I'd hardly say it ruined his life - it may now have a secondary impact since he has once again broken the law.

He was denied a gun permit, not a livliehood or anything else deemed necessary to survive. Sorry to sound harsh, but I really am surprised at the support he seems to have found on this board.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

Who says this guy has changed?

He lied back then and got arrested, and well he lied again to get his way, sooo to me this is the same guy in 1982 who seems to think he can do what he wants. He is a politician, why not start an organization for non violent felons rights to own weapons...

• Like 1

Totally not defending the guy, he lied on his form so I have no pity. It just struck a cord I started to type and didn't fully consider starting a topic or just adding a reply. I chose unwisely as I don't want to give the impression of supporting criminal acts. Don't want to hijack thread as it was just a tangential thought.