Leon

storing ammo at home

Hi all,

So I know that the law in NJ says that you can't store ammo in the same safe as your firearms. I was wondering how/where others store their ammo and how they transport it. I'd like to get a locking ammo can that I can use at home and for transport, but I can't seem to find any good ones (that don't seem like they're made of cheap plastic). My Jeep doesn't have a separate trunk space, so I need a way to lock it up when I'm bringing it to the range.

If I do put it in a locked ammo can at home, do I need to secure it to something that doesn't move or can I just leave it on the floor in my closet? Could I put it in my safe with my firearms if it's locked in it's own container? I'd prefer not to install another safe. Any advice would be appreciated!

Leon

It does? Really?

Should I ask why? or just tell myself this is NJ.

I keep most my ammo in the same safe as the firearms

You absolutely do not have to store ammo at home separate from your guns. You can keep it IN the guns...or next to it, or on top of it, or anywhere you please. The only exception being loaded weapons within reach of children.

WHERE IS THIS LAW THAT SAYS AMMO MUST BE SEPARATE FROM YOUR FIREARMS ANYWHERE IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY?

agreed. The only specifics on transportation I am aware of are:

A. The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;

B. The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;

C. The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose

D. The firearm is unloaded

E. The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

F. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

G. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;

H. The person is not

1. a convicted felon

2. a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or

3. an illegal alien

I. The person has not

1. been adjudicated to be a mental defective

2. been committed to a mental institution

3. been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or

4. renounced his United States Citizenship

So E.F.G. mean it the firearm needs to be in a 'separate' trunk or in a locked container if the trunk is not a separate compartment (e.g. a SUV). The ammunition and firearms can be together in the same locked container.

TheWombat

I have a locker I just put in the basement that has a lock, it's now holding over 7 spam cans of 7.62X54R, 20K plus of 22LR's and 5K or more of both 40 and 9mm, as well as a some 380 and 410, 12, and 20 shotty ammo as well as some misc other calibers. I'm going to need another locker when I start reloading next week, then I will be able to stock up appropriately. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Hi all,

So I know that the law in NJ says that you can't store ammo in the same safe as your firearms. I was wondering how/where others store their ammo and how they transport it. I'd like to get a locking ammo can that I can use at home and for transport, but I can't seem to find any good ones (that don't seem like they're made of cheap plastic). My Jeep doesn't have a separate trunk space, so I need a way to lock it up when I'm bringing it to the range.

If I do put it in a locked ammo can at home, do I need to secure it to something that doesn't move or can I just leave it on the floor in my closet? Could I put it in my safe with my firearms if it's locked in it's own container? I'd prefer not to install another safe. Any advice would be appreciated!

Leon

As has been stated in the thread, you don't need to worry about where you store it at home. ANYWHERE is ok.

If you're worried about locking it in ammo cans for transport you can modify the 30cal ones, as I did.

Not super secure but enough.

ammocan1.jpg

ammocan2.jpg

I have a locker I just put in the basement that has a lock, it's now holding over 7 spam cans of 7.62X54R, 20K plus of 22LR's and 5K or more of both 40 and 9mm, as well as a some 380 and 410, 12, and 20 shotty ammo as well as some misc other calibers. I'm going to need another locker when I start reloading next week, then I will be able to stock up appropriately. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Hahahaha Thats awesome !!! :good:

I found this on the NJ state police site: FAQ #6 - http://www.njsp.org/faq.html#firearms

"Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported. Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console."

So I suppose it doesn't specifically mention that they need to be in separately locked containers, but I'd find it hard to argue about the wording in court. They just need to be locked up and in separate containers? So I can lock up a seabag in the back of my Jeep, and inside the bag, put a gun case with a gun (unlocked) and ammo boxes with ammo (unlocked) and I should be okay because the seabag that contains both is locked?

Also, about storage at home, I should probably rephrase and clarify why I'm asking... I took a pistol safety course (here in NJ) and was told by the instructor that if a burglar gained access to my firearm, that they should not be able to load it right away and use it, or I could be held responsible for not taking measures to secure BOTH the ammo and the firearm. I didn't read anywhere that it's illegal to not lock up your ammo. I just assumed I had to for theft prevention and use of it. I was also told that if the burglar (minor under 18 or not), steals my ammo and/or firearms, and uses them in another crime, that I can be held responsible. Is that not true? Whether or not it's specifically a law isn't really the question.

Thanks!

I found this on the NJ state police site: FAQ #6 - http://www.njsp.org/faq.html#firearms

"Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported. Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console."

So I suppose it doesn't specifically mention that they need to be in separately locked containers, but I'd find it hard to argue about the wording in court. They just need to be locked up and in separate containers? So I can lock up a seabag in the back of my Jeep, and inside the bag, put a gun case with a gun (unlocked) and ammo boxes with ammo (unlocked) and I should be okay because the seabag that contains both is locked?

Also, about storage at home, I should probably rephrase and clarify why I'm asking... I took a pistol safety course (here in NJ) and was told by the instructor that if a burglar gained access to my firearm, that they should not be able to load it right away and use it, or I could be held responsible for not taking measures to secure BOTH the ammo and the firearm. I didn't read anywhere that it's illegal to not lock up your ammo. I just assumed I had to for theft prevention and use of it. I was also told that if the burglar (minor under 18 or not), steals my ammo and/or firearms, and uses them in another crime, that I can be held responsible. Is that not true? Whether or not it's specifically a law isn't really the question.

Thanks!

Here is the actual statute. The NJSP website statements are guidelines.

NJSA 2C:39-6

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Thanks!

As Mark mentioned above, these are "guidelines" published by the State Police. There is no statute requiring you to keep ammo and guns "separate" when traveling and certainly NONE that require you store ammo and guns separately. As there is no statute - you cannot be charged with a crime. No statute = no law, period.

edited to add IANAL

This: "If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a LOCKED CONTAINER other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console." seems to conflict with this: "Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, OR locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported."

And yet they are both from the same paragraph! The former says that when transporting in an SUV, the firearms must be in a locked container; yet the latter seems to say that it's OK to have them in some kind of case or wrapper if they are not in the trunk. Can anyone explain this disparity?

Harry

Crazy right wing wacko....that's all you have? :icon_mrgreen:

BTW, I keep my firearms and ammo locked in HEAVY duty double locked steel safes/containers. The main reason I do this? Theft... I spent a lot of money for ammo and firearms and I want to protect them best as possible. Also , I have a "quick open" safe for the handgun in a few spots around the house in case I need them quickly.

Also, I have 12,16 and 20 year old children that I need to be mindful of. They have the utmost respect for firearms, but hey, they're still kids.