SW9racer

Tossed between these two clubs

I live about 1 hour between CJRPC and Shongum. I only have enough budget to join one of them, so I am deciding which one matches my interests the best.

- Both have an indoor 50' range which I would use for handgun and 22lr. Do either of these let you shoot pistol-caliber-carbines indoors?

- Both have skeet/trap which I would use about 4 times per year.

- both have outdoor rifle range where you can set up your targets at any distance. Shongum goes out to 100yard, Cjrpc to 300 yard. I rarely shoot at 100 yard, i tend to stick from 7 to 50 yards, so either range is good.

- Cjrpc has separate outoor 50 yard pistol and 22lr range. Can you use pistol-caliber-carbines there? Can you set up targets at 7-10 yards? Shongum has a similar pistil-pit, but it seems its closed when someone is shooting skeet.

- Cjrpc has the 6 multi-purpose ranges which look cool. I take it you can set up your own mini steel-match for practice. Can you shoot static clays? Are these always jammed filled on weekends?

- Targets allowed, both web sites seem vague. Are they limited to paper? Any type of paper target? Can you set up steel at 25-50 yards for 22lr & 9mm? What about clays?

- Shongum has wifi, very important for the kids. Snack and soda machines are also a plus. Does Cjrpc?

- Both ranges do not require work days, but rather ask for volunteers, which is what I like and I do help out.

And very important, the crowds. ( I do belong to Range14, that one can get crowded). I also know you need enough members to keep the range viable.

- Shongum limits membership, which I translate to "crowd control". So how are weekends when there is not an event?

- I do not know how many members at Crrpc, but they seem to have many more ranges and shooting positions. I can see a backup for the pits, but between all the various outdoor ranges, are there any that fill up quick? As long as if the high power range people dont get upset at a 50 yard target if the other spots are full?

Anyone with experience on both of them?

Thanks!

I've been a member at CJ for some time. I will answer all for CJ:

You cannot use Pistol caliber carbines in the indoor range.

The indoor range is open 24/7 (you get your own key fob) If you want to shoot at 3am, go ahead.

You can shoot the rifle ranges at any range (We have 2, a 200 and 300yd range) you can set your target anywhere.

You cannot use carbines at the pistol range either. I have seen people set their targets anywhere at teh pistol range, but there are specific holders at 25&50yds.

We now have about a dozen multi purpose pits. You can shoot pistol caliber carbines in them once you qualify to. You can shoot just about anything you want if you clean up after yourself in the pits. (within reason, nothing unsafe, no glass) Steel is fine.

You can use anything safe for targets at the range (outdoor, indoor is limited to paper). No glass, etc...

We have soda machines, a grill, and picnic tables.

I'm not sure about Wi-Fi.

CJ is almost never crowded. Some events have alot of shooters. Most of the time during week you can be alone, sometimes 2-3 others) During the weekends, it can get crowded, but I've never had to wait.

The trap and skeet machines are remotely controlled. (no one there to pull a string) All computerized

There are no range officers. Your initiation gets you trained in safety, you are responsible for yourself.

CJ is a member owned club. We are all part owners. It carries a certain "pride". It keeps most people from messing up the club.

As long as you are behaving safely, no one cares if you shoot 25yds or 300yds. It is a real friendly environment. Most members treat you as a brother.

I have been there countless times and been asked unsolicited if I wanted to try their new gun.

No one there will judge you, most everyone will help you in any matter. We are almost a fraternity.

PM inbound

• Like 1

I am a member of CJRPC as many of us here are.

You have a 24 hr indoor pistol range. You can shoot 22lr carbines indoors as well. You can't shoot the FN 5.7 though.

There is a skeet and trap range that is awesome and they have shoots on Tuesday night where it's $3 a round for 25 clays. That $12 and pretty cheap considering everything is set up for you.

The pits are awesome. You can shoot 22lr, all pistol calibers up to .50 in pistol. You will need a draw and fire pass, that allows you to have a holster to draw/ fire and allows pistol caliber carbines in the pits. There are almost 17 pits now.

200 yd general purpose range and 300 yard high power range. Rarely is it busy unless there is a match going on.

there is a outdoor pistol range 25yd and 50 yard tagets. These are mainly for bullseye guys. I am not sure but you may be able to shoot 22lr carbines at this range also. Would be great to sight something in.

• Like 1

I am a cj member as well, everything lunicy said is pretty much right on the money. I do a lot of late night indoor shooting,I think only once or twice I've gone before 12 am all other times I've gone later, that was a big reason for me joining. Everyone's nice that I have encountered there , always willing to help or just like to have some friendly conversation between shooting. Property is just huge and like its been said it's never really crowded because the amount of facilities available. Just a great ,member run place all around.

CJ for the win, although both clubs are great. Where do you live? I am sure there are other clubs in between.

I typically go to CJ to shoot in the pits. The facilities at CJ are far and above beyond anything else offered in NJ.

Let me know if you want someone to take you out to the club to check it out again.

New question about CJ. Looking at the rules, one section states "Members are expected to clean up any target fragments resulting from using pumpkins, golf balls etc", another states "Glass, masonry products or clay birds are not permitted".

So does this imply you can shoot the occasional fruit and plastic-bottle as long as you clean up properly after yourself? I take it you can't put these targets right on the ground, do you use a cardboard box or some type of stand? It also looks like the clay disks are out, except for skeet.

From what I am reading, the above is for the 200 and oudoor pistol, but not true for the 300 yard range where only paper and metal are good.

Do I have this correct?

New question about CJ. Looking at the rules, one section states "Members are expected to clean up any target fragments resulting from using pumpkins, golf balls etc", another states "Glass, masonry products or clay birds are not permitted".

So does this imply you can shoot the occasional fruit and plastic-bottle as long as you clean up properly after yourself? I take it you can't put these targets right on the ground, do you use a cardboard box or some type of stand? It also looks like the clay disks are out, except for skeet.

From what I am reading, the above is for the 200 and oudoor pistol, but not true for the 300 yard range where only paper and metal are good.

Do I have this correct?

Basic interpretation of what you can shoot.

If the broken shards can cut up your hand, you aren't allowed to shoot it.

if it just makes a mess, you can shoot it if you clean it up.

Except clay pigeons. Not sure why. I know we have more rules about cleaning them up due to the wetlands (not sure if hte issue is PH, the pitch in them, or just water runoff issues due to their non-permiability). We have to clean them up form the shotgun range, but went forever without doing it and the shotgunners are still making a stink over it. I don't see why it would be a issue if you cleaned your own up. Maybe the cognitive dissonance of shooting a shotgun target with something other than a shotgun bothers someone's sensibilities. R3egardless, it is against the rules.

I can live without the clays, they do get messy. For the Shongum waiting list, I can make due with Range14 until my number comes up. OB is a bit closer, but I ruled it out for several reasons.

Any reason why you ruled out OB, would you care to share in the forum, if not and would like to do it in a PM I'd like to hear why, and by the way, I am only a member of OB and not in a position of authority, just an interested member.

Any reason why you ruled out OB, would you care to share in the forum, if not and would like to do it in a PM I'd like to hear why, and by the way, I am only a member of OB and not in a position of authority, just an interested member.

OB does not have skeet/trap towers, not many ports on the 100 yard range nor 50 yard range, nor the trap field. They have the highest yearly cost and mandatory work hours. Their calendar shows events on just about every weekend with many range closures. The other clubs seem to offer more facilities for the price. If i am wrong in my perception, let me know.

For me, about twice a month I like to spend the whole day at at the range bouncing between the pistol, rifle, trap at will. So some sort of clubhouse onsight is a must.

OB does not have skeet/trap towers, not many ports on the 100 yard range nor 50 yard range, nor the trap field. They have the highest yearly cost and mandatory work hours. Their calendar shows events on just about every weekend with many range closures. The other clubs seem to offer more facilities for the price. If i am wrong in my perception, let me know.

For me, about twice a month I like to spend the whole day at at the range bouncing between the pistol, rifle, trap at will. So some sort of clubhouse onsight is a must.

CJ and Shongum do as well.

OB has as big of a rifle line as the Shongum. CJ has as many events, but they do end.

Why not join and shoot at those matches?

Got-cha, but here is a nice thing about all of them, they do have event that are open to all shooters as you mention was an issue to you, however, that may be a good opportunity to check the facilities out and maybe even see if there is a new shooting discipline you might be interested in that you never thought about before.

I have been to events in OB and CJ but not Shongum. It is different experience shooting an event vs being a member using all the facilities within the rule structure. Hense my detailed questions on the rules and everyday life at the club. I have great information here on CJ, still no input from anyone at Shongum!

I'll give you some information about Shongum, and you can ask questions if it's not enough.

First of all, let me say that while Shongum has 700+ members....you'd never know it most of the time. Unless there's an event going on, you pretty much will have the place to yourself. The wait list to get in is pretty long and takes a while to get through, though you can go as another member's guest. Speaking of guests, Shongum has a VERY generous guest policy. They ask that you not bring the same person as a guest more than twice in a year (this of course does not include your family members who are always welcome to attend with you). As a general rule, the range is VERY generous in all of its rules. As long as nobody abuses the rules, I assume they'll stay as is. It's by far one of the most laid-back ranges I've ever been to, though that's NOT to say that anything goes. There is a fine gentleman who lives at the range and keeps a close eye on all of the operations. As long as you are following the rules, you will hardly know he's there.

Shongum has an outdoor 100 yard rifle range (though I sure wish it were 200) with probably 16 shooting positions (or so). There is an outdoor pistol range that could accommodate up to 8 shooters (or more), though I've never seen more than 4 at a time. There are 4 trap houses. There are plenty of events that you can attend without being a member also. IPSC, trap, high power rifle, and cowboy action shooting come to mind. There is an indoor range which can probably accommodate 14 or 15 shooters, though again, except for pistol classes, I've never seen more than 10 active shooters, and even that's rare.

The clubhouse is cozy with a fireplace (gas) and a few couches, and a full kitchen if you felt like cooking up lunch or dinner for your crew. There are a few tables for classes and discussions. This place is in the middle of nowhere in Warren County.

I will say this....there are a few drawbacks to the indoor range. There is no way to control the position of the targets, so all shooting must be done from the same distance by all shooters. If you walk in and the line is set up with shooters @ 50ft, you will be shooting at 50ft. If the shooters are @ 7yds, you will be at 7 yds. First come, first to set the distance. I assume anyone there may be willing to reconsider, but I've seen quite a few shooters using it for .22 rifle and so will have it set at 50ft. The other MAJOR drawback of the indoor range is the fact that it is one big open room. As such, the entire space becomes the ventilation system. That being said........it gets COLD in the there in the winter and DOES NOT WARM UP MUCH AT ALL. Let me repeat that.............COLD!!!!!!! You can rest assured it'll be just about as cold inside the indoor range as it is outside except the only wind chill is that which is set up by the vent system, and there's no snow on the ground. However, there's no sun either, so it may actually be warmer OUTSIDE than the indoor range on a nice sunny winter day.

All in all it's a great place. I've been a member for 3+ years and at this point, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Another plus.....you just can't beat the people. In general, I find shooters to be about the nicest people on the planet, and Shongum is no exception.

I hope this helps anyone interested in learning more about Shongum. If I missed anything or you disagree with a statement I've made, feel free to let me know.

Hands down CJRPC.

If you wanna run around like Rambo, then OB is ur best bet. (too bad OB is too pricey for me)

While OB is free to let shooters do a little more than some other clubs, it sure isn't unsafe at all, just wanted to mention that just so someone who doesn't know the place isn't turned off by thinking unsafe practices happen there.

While a little pricey the first year it's really not that bad for what you get, especially if you can make it there at least once a week or more, not including competitions.

Since I live 5 minutes from both the indoor and outdoor ranges at OB I joined there. While I LOVE the Skeet/Trap facilites at Jackson (CJ) I couldn't justify joining their club. I do go there with my FFL and other members just for the shotgun sports.

Don't forget, there are other places to shoot Trap that are local, two of them being Mallard in Monroe and Citizens in Hightstown. They are open to the public for Trap and have a good group of people at each facility.

You can bring your own clay launcher to OB and use it in the shotgun area almost anytime you like. I think they also shoot there Tuesday mornings, the "old farts club". :)

I go to the OB outdoor range during the day (self-employed) and there is usually no one there. I know on weekends they do tend to have a lot of events which can lead to problems with people that can't get there during the week like I can. It will really limit your shooting time.

Work hours are not mandantory, they are simply a way to reduce your yearly fees. Don't do them, up to you. Do them, up to 15 hours I believe, and they credit you $15/hr towards your yearly membership (which rate is certainly higher than Jackson).

Since I live 5 minutes from both the indoor and outdoor ranges at OB I joined there. While I LOVE the Skeet/Trap facilites at Jackson (CJ) I couldn't justify joining their club. I do go there with my FFL and other members just for the shotgun sports.

Don't forget, there are other places to shoot Trap that are local, two of them being Mallard in Monroe and Citizens in Hightstown. They are open to the public for Trap and have a good group of people at each facility.

You can bring your own clay launcher to OB and use it in the shotgun area almost anytime you like. I think they also shoot there Tuesday mornings, the "old farts club". :)

I go to the OB outdoor range during the day (self-employed) and there is usually no one there. I know on weekends they do tend to have a lot of events which can lead to problems with people that can't get there during the week like I can. It will really limit your shooting time.

Work hours are not mandantory, they are simply a way to reduce your yearly fees. Don't do them, up to you. Do them, up to 15 hours I believe, and they credit you $15/hr towards your yearly membership (which rate is certainly higher than Jackson).

I actually have a question about the wrok hours. If im not mistaken its $384 a year, now the $15/hr is deducted from the 384 or added if you dont work?

TIA

It is deducted. If you do NO work hours you pay $384 for the year. If you do the work hours you get a reduction. I haven't done any yet so I can't tell you exactly how that works. I believe the work hous come-off the next years bill, I don't think they give you any money back during the year, but I could be wrong.

I actually have a question about the wrok hours. If im not mistaken its $384 a year, now the $15/hr is deducted from the 384 or added if you dont work?

TIA

Added if you dont work.

Right on the invoice received at the end of this year:

Dues Charge - $384.00

2011 Work Hours - $180.00

Total amount due: $564.00

You attach your work hour cards to the invoice when you make payment, and deduct $15 for each hour worked. So if you worked 5 hours out of the year you would pay $384 dues + $105 work hours, total $489

I believe if you are over 65 you are exempted from work hours.