JimSulli

Semi auto pistol choices

I'm looking into a few pistols. Trying to decide. Any comments on these would be appreciated.

Ruger 1911

Taurus pt99

Beretta 90-two

I learned on a Taurus 99, and liked it. Fits well, but I heard it is an easy transition to either of the others.

What do you want them for... range fun, competition, carry?

What do you already have?

TheWombat

I want it for the range. This is going to be my first, but I learned young with a Taurus 99.

I'm leaning toward the 9mm's now because of the less expensive ammunition.

Which is exactly why I'm getting this................ (Ruger SR9)

3301-1.jpg

... instead of this. (Ruger SR1911)

6700.jpg

• Like 1

If you don't reload ammo I say go for either of the 9mm. Pretty much half the cost (of 45ACP)

which means you can shoot twice as much. I'd opt for the Beretta, but only cause I

want one too :)

If you want the long barrel, check out the Beretta but look into a 92A1 w/ the removable front sight and the rail on the front. You may have to get and then use older 15-round magazines, but the ability to swap out the sight is a very nice feature.

Check out a CZ-75B or variant and maybe a Magnum Research Baby Eagle II, or maybe a SIG variant such as a SP2022.

I would definitely get the Ruger 1911 if they made a 9mm version. A Taurus PT1911 stainless w/ a lifetime warranty in 9mm would be an awesome choice, too. You may need to swap out the recoil spring for a government size 12 pound one. Wilson Combat 10-round magazines will work, but they stick out a little on the bottom, more than the flush 9-round stock Taurus ones.

If you want the long barrel, check out the Beretta but look into a 92A1 w/ the removable front sight and the rail on the front. You may have to get and then use older 15-round magazines, but the ability to swap out the sight is a very nice feature.

Check out a CZ-75B or variant and maybe a Magnum Research Baby Eagle II, or maybe a SIG variant such as a SP2022.

I would definitely get the Ruger 1911 if they made a 9mm version. A Taurus PT1911 stainless w/ a lifetime warranty in 9mm would be an awesome choice, too. You may need to swap out the recoil spring for a government size 12 pound one. Wilson Combat 10-round magazines will work, but they stick out a little on the bottom, more than the flush 9-round stock Taurus ones.

Me too. That's actually being talked about on the Ruger forums. Hopefully, Ruger will listen and produce a 9mm version. I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Me too. That's actually being talked about on the Ruger forums. Hopefully, Ruger will listen and produce a 9mm version. I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Hell they can't even make enough of the 45 version. I've been looking for one and all I hear is "We have no idea when we will get 1 in".

If you want a 9mm 1911, do it right, either get the Smith Wesson Pro Series, or an STI Trojan, or at the low end, STI Spartan. Its been tested, and it works.

I have shot Kimber 1911's in 9mm, and not impressed. Taurus I have yet to shoot.

Although I will say, for a ruger, the SR1911 looks really nice, but that is partly because I think all the other Ruger semi autos look uninspiring.

If you want a 9mm 1911, do it right, either get the Smith Wesson Pro Series, or an STI Trojan, or at the low end, STI Spartan. Its been tested, and it works.

I have shot Kimber 1911's in 9mm, and not impressed. Taurus I have yet to shoot.

Although I will say, for a ruger, the SR1911 looks really nice, but that is partly because I think all the other Ruger semi autos look uninspiring.

STI Spartan may be a good shooter but it sure ain't a looker. I'd buy the Ruger 1911 in 9mm for $700. The Smith and Trojan are both lookers but a bit pricey for what I want to spend.

STI Spartan may be a good shooter but it sure ain't a looker. I'd buy the Ruger 1911 in 9mm for $700. The Smith and Trojan are both lookers but a bit pricey for what I want to spend.

They may be pricey, but sometimes it better to buy once and cry once as they say.. What are you looking to do with the gun, that can have some say in what direction you may want to look in.

I have a kimber 1911 in 9mm. It shoots great and has no issues. Depends on what you get. I would be more inclined to buy a used kimber 1911 then new. At least you'd be able to try the gun out.

Also, is there a reason why you limited yourself to just those guns? What abouut SIG?

I have two M&Ps Now, I want pretty. Something with cachet and coolness to shoot paper and milk jugs at the range. :triniti:

I guess I grew out of that phase. I still like love pretty guns, but would gladly take function and reliability over "cachet and coolness".

If you like the PT99 I'd stay with it. I have one since 1988. I carried it for about 5 years as a duty gun (had to stop carrying it as the approved list became very small). I probably have 20K+ rounds through it and the only issue I ever had was after about ten years the rear sight leaf broke (have seen this happen with S&W rear sights also). Its still 100% reliable, about the most accurate 9mm I ever owned, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a carry gun today.

My first pistol was the new Beretta m9a1, i have zero regrets with that pistol. accurate, affordable, reliable, + looks great. It was a great first pistol, easy to clean and field strip, a caveman could do it. Cant go wrong with any of the fs 92's. The only deal breaker here would be if you didn't like the way it fits in your hand. I'm not a huge fan of the 90-two, but that's only because they make the prestigious 92. If your looking to holster this, i would just go with the regular 92 over the railed versions.

I was told by someone at Bob's little sport shop that the Beretta 90-two is illegal in NJ because of the 17 round mag. The website says that it comes with 10 or 15 round mags as well. Does anyone know if this information is accurate?

The gun is not illegal, the magazines are - for a civilian. Your FFL can order it and either sell it to you without the magazines, or pin the mags (permanently) to 15 rounds. Check with Paul (PK90) - he is the "Master-pinner" - not to be confused with the expert that puts worms on hooks, the Master-baiter :sarcastichand:

Adios,

Pizza Bob