Bully

What Would You Do?

So, I'm completely befuddled right now.

I want to buy a 9mm. It has enough pop and power for what I want to do. I don't want anything larger. No .40, .45. .50 or anything else. The 9 will have enough bang without killing the bank. So, that's what I want..

I caught between getting a Sig 226, possibly a tupperware gun (not all that appealing) or a 1911. I have a 1k budget, and that is the TOP of my budget. Unfortunately, if it's a 1911, I would prefer a U.S. made gun. The other stuff, I can do out of country.

The gun will be mostly a range toy. Possibly some local competition, but not much. Also will do duty as HD gun. My buddy shoots, so I will have the opportunity to shoot a bit and I am hoping to meet some folks on here to hook up with as well.

Given these criteria, I am looking for suggestions.

FWIW, I really like the Kimber Stainless II 9mm, and the Springfield Armory 9mm (I know, not truly U.S. made), the 226 (specifically the Extreme), and the Smith and Wesson M&P Pro 9mm. Thanks and I am looking forward to the discourse.

C

Hi,

I am also searching for my first 9mm pistol.

As Maksim says, the Sig P226 is a GREAT gun for sure. That would be my first choice, but as a lefty, I really think for my first 9mm, I would feel more comfortable with ambidextrous controls. Since you

have a budget of $1000.00. I would suggest you take a look at either the HK USP or the HK P30 or P30L models. You may just fall in love with the grip and ergonomics of the P30.

Also, be sure to look the the CZ 75 9mm.. (For me the CZ 85B ambidexrous model.)

Another alternative if you are set on American made pistol, take a look at the FN FNP-9 or FN FNX-9 pistols. Both are highly regarded and reviewed. Both are much more reasonably priced.

The 226 is really great, so is the M&P. Be careful of that HK P30. Once you hold one you may not be able to get it out of your head. I went with the M&P but, the P30 is next on my list. Try to get out and shoot as many different guns as you can. See which one feels best to you.

Before you settle on anything, find a Ruger SR9 to hold. If you don't care for the way it feels, then continue down the path you're going with the Sig or even something like the Ruger P95. Both of those are pretty chunky pistols, which I don't particularly care for. Give that SR9 a feel. You get purchase an SR9 brand new + 1000 of 9mm ammo and still come in much less than your $1k budget.

3301.jpg

I also wanted to say, please don't feel obliged to stick to the list I provided. I appreciate the Ruger suggestion. I am not in love with the way it feels, however. But, I appreciate the suggestion.

Anyone shot the Baby Eagle 4.5'' in steel?

C

Do yourself a favor and go to a range that rents and try out several of the pistols before you buy. I consider the rental $ some of the best I ever spent outside of classes. I had my heart set on a Beretta M92 and a Glock, but after shooting them next to a few Sigs, Cz's, and an M&P I changed my mind. I'm not dismissing either brand of pistol, but for my hand they weren't a good fit and I saved my self a lot of hassle and $ finding this out before buying.

The plastic guns aren't out of contention, but as the first I just feel like I want steel. I don't know why, but I do. As for the Beretta, not my thing. At least not the 92. Great guns, but I just don't like them. The storm seems cool and if it was a metal frame, I'd strongly consider it. Thanks for the offer, M4BGringo. I do appreciate it.

Does anyone feel like letting me try out their 226? Or Baby Eagle? Or, 9mm 1911. Drop me a line. I'd really appreciate it.

C

The plastic guns aren't out of contention, but as the first I just feel like I want steel. I don't know why, but I do. As for the Beretta, not my thing. At least not the 92. Great guns, but I just don't like them. The storm seems cool and if it was a metal frame, I'd strongly consider it. Thanks for the offer, M4BGringo. I do appreciate it.

Does anyone feel like letting me try out their 226? Or Baby Eagle? Or, 9mm 1911. Drop me a line. I'd really appreciate it.

C

I have the 90-Two and absolutely love it. But then again, i am a biased Beretta guy!

Sounds like someone had some sour grapes for breakfast.

I don't have any emotional investment in the HK brand. I just know that my HK has shot 2500+ rounds and never once had jam, misfire, light primer strike, etc. The only malf has been the slide not locking back about 5 times. All of those times were with S&B ammo. Never happened before, nor since I stopped shooting SB. It's pretty damn accurate and the ergonomics on it are great.

Sounds like someone had some sour grapes for breakfast.

I don't have any emotional investment in the HK brand. I just know that my HK has shot 2500+ rounds and never once had jam, misfire, light primer strike, etc. The only malf has been the slide not locking back about 5 times. All of those times were with S&B ammo. Never happened before, nor since I stopped shooting SB. It's pretty damn accurate and the ergonomics on it are great.

Nah, not at all. Actually, I heard it on a podcast (the now defunct, Handgun Podcast) and found it to be funny.

I like HK pistols even though they aren't high on my "must have" list.

FWIW, this is all now a moot point. I put some money down on a pistol today. Went up to Ramsey Outdoor to speak with Ron and see if he had anything further to recommend/take a look at (unfortunately not all that busy). As I was waiting for him to finish up a conversation I decided to take a look in the case and there she was... The gun that I really wanted but was fairly sure I couldn't have. US made, 1911 in 9mm. It showed up out of the blue yesterday. A Kimber Stainless Target II. I asked to take a look at it and as soon as it hit my hand, it was all over with. I spoke with the powers that be and made the deal.

I'm very happy.

Now just need to wait for the permit to come through and this part of the journey will be done. Thanks all for your help and I look forward to meeting a few of you at a local range some day.

C