SpacemanFry

G19 - Gen3 Or Gen4?

If you get a newer model of the GEN 4 w/ the newer spring and ejector, then you shouldn't have any problems. It is more ergonomic and has a rougher texture than the GEN 3 and probably would be a better bet for you if you have either really small or larger hands. If you have small to medium hands, then it is probably a toss up. I am in that boat and the medium grip on the GEN 4 is roughly the same size as the GEN 3 grip, except the GEN 3 is just ever so slightly smaller and feels better in my hand. I actually prefer the feeling of the GEN 4 in the smallest grip size, but I shoot better with the medium. As for recoil, I really haven't noticed much of a difference between the GEN 3 and GEN 4.

So, it really depends on what will fit your hands better and the price and availability. The GEN 3 is most likely cheaper than the GEN 4. If you already have other GEN 3s, then there might be parts similarity, however, if you don't then that would not matter too much. As for me, I would be more happy with the standard GEN 3. It has been more tested and proven and it fits a little better. The rough texture is a toss up on the GEN 4. If I was shooting a lot, it might be a little rough on the hands, however, if it was a "duty" gun to be carried, the extra texture might help out in a pinch.

You probably can't go wrong with either and it would depend mostly on the slight size differences of the grips. And, I am sure that Glock would support either fully. Still with medium or slightly smaller hand size, the GEN 3 would probably be the best best.

As for resale value... I would say they are about the same. You might be able to save some money getting a used GEN 3 in good condition, though.

Or get an M&P 9mm.

they all work.

Go shoot them both and see. Gen 3's, you get what you see, it works. Gen 4, you get a much nicer glock (ergonomically). There were a number of key changes, so obviously you will have issues. What matters is how Glock will stand behind you.

My personal opinion is go for either. While the Gen3 is proven "reliable" my reason for going Gen4 was purely the slight upgrade in design. Never had one flaw with my 17 to date. Some have had issues, and I'm sure the rest of the negativity comes from the Glock haters finally seeing their chance to "kick a man while he's down."

Regardless if I could do it all over again, I'd go with a H&K P30. Now that's a gun, in terms of looks she's like Miss Galaxy vs. the high school homecoming queen (I sure know mine wasn't pretty)

• Like 1

Buy the gun, by the 15 round mags.

What I meant to say is that I would buy the M&P if it had 15-round magazines because I already have a Glock 19. Get the Glock first, and since it's NJ, get the 19 in whatever flavor.

If you get a newer model of the GEN 4 w/ the newer spring and ejector, then you shouldn't have any problems. It is more ergonomic and has a rougher texture than the GEN 3 and probably would be a better bet for you if you have either really small or larger hands. If you have small to medium hands, then it is probably a toss up. I am in that boat and the medium grip on the GEN 4 is roughly the same size as the GEN 3 grip, except the GEN 3 is just ever so slightly smaller and feels better in my hand. I actually prefer the feeling of the GEN 4 in the smallest grip size, but I shoot better with the medium. As for recoil, I really haven't noticed much of a difference between the GEN 3 and GEN 4.

So, it really depends on what will fit your hands better and the price and availability. The GEN 3 is most likely cheaper than the GEN 4. If you already have other GEN 3s, then there might be parts similarity, however, if you don't then that would not matter too much. As for me, I would be more happy with the standard GEN 3. It has been more tested and proven and it fits a little better. The rough texture is a toss up on the GEN 4. If I was shooting a lot, it might be a little rough on the hands, however, if it was a "duty" gun to be carried, the extra texture might help out in a pinch.

You probably can't go wrong with either and it would depend mostly on the slight size differences of the grips. And, I am sure that Glock would support either fully. Still with medium or slightly smaller hand size, the GEN 3 would probably be the best best.

As for resale value... I would say they are about the same. You might be able to save some money getting a used GEN 3 in good condition, though.

I'll second that motion...

I have a G19 Gen4. And although I changed the recoil spring on it twice as per Glock instructions, I never had any kind of issues with this pistol with any of the springs. I fired different kind of ammo from it and it ate everything. I used to be a glock hater because of the grip, gen4 sits in my hand like a dream.

I own all Gen 3's and no issues eat anything. They work for me so I haven't switched to Gen 4's.

Just a reminder: I do warrantee updates on the extractors up at Mastadon. I do reccommend an Ultrasonic cleaning while you have the pistol up there. Though GLOCKS have a reputation of being lower maintenance, it's nice if I don't end up all grimey while working on your GLOCK. I enjoy my pizza and gun grime doesn't help.

I just recently picked-up a Gen4 G19.

300 rounds through her, no issues.

Test fire date: Sept. 14th 2011.

I agree with Patriot Oak... the main deciding factors should be "Grip feel" and Cost of Gen3 vs. Gen4.

I chose Gen4 beacuse I am left-handed.

I own all Gen 3's and no issues eat anything. They work for me so I haven't switched to Gen 4's.

Just a reminder: I do warrantee updates on the extractors up at Mastadon. I do reccommend an Ultrasonic cleaning while you have the pistol up there. Though GLOCKS have a reputation of being lower maintenance, it's nice if I don't end up all grimey while working on your GLOCK. I enjoy my pizza and gun grime doesn't help.

I just had my Gen4 ejectors updated by old school. First class work. It's also a nice shop with good prices.

And no, my Gen4 were not having any issues. I just opted for the updates because they were available.

Frank are you up at the shop or do you pickup do the work and return the guns to them?

Harry - Drop the gun off at Mastadon and I go up there to do the work. The pistol never leaves Mastadon.

Got ya, don't need any work done, did everything I needed myself already but will keep it in mind if I need something.

I was asking to know if you would be at the shop, just wanted to see if they had a "Grumpy Old Man" section and I would have stopped by and BS'd with you for a while.

Im proud to say that i have ~150 rounds through my G19 gen4 and have 0 fte or ftf with winchester 115gr. My test date on the card was early Nov. At this point i would say buy with confidence and youll be punching paper in no time . If your dealer will let you field strip the pistol and check if it has the 04 spring that should be a good indication that it also has the new ejector. Also the price factor at least at RTSP it was a ~10.00 difference between the 3 and 4.