deadeye74

Which Semi Auto Rifle Would You Buy...

I'm planning on heading up to Cabella's for a road trip with friends between Christmas and New Years, and thinking of picking up a rifle. Originally I was going to look at surplus Moslin's, but the more I read on them, I rather consider putting my time and effort into a used semi auto rifle.

My plan is to buy something for target shooting. If it's something I could change out parts/customize over time, even better. Would it be realistic to find something for under $400? A Hi-Point carbine looks like it could be fun, but not sure if I like the idea of shooting pistol ammo out of a rifle, plus I would like to be accurate in the 100-300 yard range at minimum. .223/5.56 would be more of what I was thinking, and 308/7.625 would be even better since I could possibly take it hunting out of state when I go. Of course, I'm looking for something that is NJ legal to own.

I would also like to say thanks in advanced to everyone who comments. I'm new to the forum and have made a couple of posts like this before. Hope no one thinks I'm a pain in the a**, I rather learn from experienced shooters than experiment on my own without any guidance at all!

IMO, I wouldn't go to Cabelas, check out our list of vendors in the vendor section to start.

100-300 yards rules out pistol carbines. In that price range I'd look at Saiga's like this one here. I got started with Chinese SKS's a long long time ago as my inexpensive entry into centerfire rifles. The Saiga makes a fine first SA gun if you ask me.

http://www.cheaperth...SG170260-1.html

2-USSG170260.jpg

You simply can not beat the Mosin Nagants for the cost vs. fun factor.

Look at the price of .223 ammo, then look at the 7.62 x 54 ammo. Beside the decent kick the Mosin will give you, it is CHEAP to shoot!

If you wanna trick the gun out you certainly can. I would say if there is one drawback, it is a bolt-action rifle and not a semi auto. I still like it.

To get a semi auto 7.62x54, it is gonna cost you a decent chunk of change.

The Saiga 7.62 x 39 is a good semi auto gun and can be tweaked-upon later when you want to. It is also a fairly cheap gun to buy and shoot.

Any handgun bought out of state needs to be shipped to an in-state FFL. Long guns are different, as long as they are NJ legal, they can be bought out of state and transported back to NJ.

I will third what Dan said, and suggest you support local vendors or even any NJ gun shop.

you will not be reliably shooting targets out to 300 with a AK... but as far as bang for buck.. a Saiga in 7.62x39 is a hard deal to beat.. ammo is reasonaly powerful and reasonably accurate.. the gun is extremely reliable.. in stock form it leaves a little to be desired for.. but can easily be modified (see my signature).. this is an EXTREMELY hardy.. reliable gun.. I would check PK90... IN NJ.. he may stock them..

• Like 1

Good luck with your decision. As what others said, a SKS or Saiga won't be a tack driver/precision platform, but will perform reasonably out to 300 yards and will be fun to shoot. If you want to go to the $700ish mark, you can start looking at your entry level AR platforms in 5.56/.223.

For Saiga calibers...

5.45x39 will be the cheapest with the good supply of inexpensive slightly corrosive milsurp out there.

7.62x39 and .223/5.56 will be fairly even in price when looking at the cheapest russian/milsurp stuff.

Good luck with your decision. As what others said, a SKS or Saiga won't be a tack driver/precision platform, but will perform reasonably out to 300 yards and will be fun to shoot. If you want to go to the $700ish mark, you can start looking at your entry level AR platforms in 5.56/.223.

For Saiga calibers...

5.45x39 will be the cheapest with the good supply of inexpensive slightly corrosive milsurp out there.

7.62x39 and .223/5.56 will be fairly even in price when looking at the cheapest russian/milsurp stuff.

didn't even think 5.45... I would honestly consider that in a Saiga...good recomendation..

Classic Arms had unconverted Saiga 7.62s for $299 and I think 10-round magazines were $9.99. For $449 you could get a converted Saiga 7.62 (or $429 if you and 3 of your buddies ordered 4 of them). I think the unconverted is the better deal and spend the money to get the extra magazines and rail. Still, I would order a converted one at the $429 price if 3 others locally were interested. I have ordered from them and they are smooth and very helpful. My order was perfect. It took about a week to get... pure sheet metal bliss! Too bad the 12 gauge and .308s weren't at $299.

http://classicarms.us/Saiga.htm

Any handgun bought out of state needs to be shipped to an in-state FFL. Long guns are different, as long as they are NJ legal, they can be bought out of state and transported back to NJ.

I will third what Dan said, and suggest you support local vendors or even any NJ gun shop.

Just to clarify what Don said - Long guns can be bought out of state FROM AN FFL IN THAT STATE, as long as they are NJ legal and you can bring it home with you.

Just to clarify what Don said - Long guns can be bought out of state FROM AN FFL IN THAT STATE, as long as they are NJ legal and you can bring it home with you.

To add, as I was informed a few weeks ago, also as long as that state doesn't have any rules that prohibit them from selling to NJ residents, as in just border state agreements.

Classic Arms had unconverted Saiga 7.62s for $299 and I think 10-round magazines were $9.99. For $449 you could get a converted Saiga 7.62 (or $429 if you and 3 of your buddies ordered 4 of them). I think the unconverted is the better deal and spend the money to get the extra magazines and rail. Still, I would order a converted one at the $429 price if 3 others locally were interested. I have ordered from them and they are smooth and very helpful. My order was perfect. It took about a week to get... pure sheet metal bliss! Too bad the 12 gauge and .308s weren't at $299.

http://classicarms.us/Saiga.htm

as I have stated in other threads.. an unconverted saiga is not the way to go.. get it unconverted.. but then definitely convert it.. the difference is night and day..

Not a recommendation but a question. Do you already own any firearms/rifles? If you do, do you own a .22lr?

Not intended to replace or takeaway from your purchase of another rifle, but if you don't have a .22, I would suggest looking into getting one in addition maybe. At the very least, don't discount one. IMO, everybody should own a .22. It is cheap to shoot, good to learn on, and fun as heck.

I mean, if you are looking for something to come in around the $400 dollar price range, you could get both a .22lr, like a Marlin 795, and a semi-auto center fire rifle like an SKS. Just a thought.

If you already have a .22, then you can ignore everything I said. :)

Not a recommendation but a question. Do you already own any firearms/rifles? If you do, do you own a .22lr?

Not intended to replace or takeaway from your purchase of another rifle, but if you don't have a .22, I would suggest looking into getting one in addition maybe. At the very least, don't discount one. IMO, everybody should own a .22. It is cheap to shoot, good to learn on, and fun as heck.

I mean, if you are looking for something to come in around the $400 dollar price range, you could get both a .22lr, like a Marlin 795, and a semi-auto center fire rifle like an SKS. Just a thought.

If you already have a .22, then you can ignore everything I said. :)

I do have a .22lr. A couple of weeks ago, Dicks had the Marlin 795 with a $25 mail in rebate, so all said in done I paid like $99 for it (without NICS and tax). I couldn't pass it up.

On my trip to Cabelas, I was pretty much set on the Mosin however once at the counter I saw they had an EAA PAP 7.62x39 on sale for $349. I ended up buying the PAP.

I would like to add that any more serious purchases will happen here in NJ. Arms n Ammo is very close to where I live and I had the chance to meet Paul. From my first experience there, I will say I plan on all future pistol purchases and new rifle/shotguns will more than likely be from them.