db1775

Anyone here down load your AR magazines?

I'm new to ARs and have a question about magazines not seating. I have a few 20 round pmags modified to only accept 15 rounds and I cannot get a fully-loaded magazine to seat in the mag well of my M&P15 with the bolt forward. I can get it to seat with some extra effort if I only load to 13-14 rounds

So:

1) Is this normal/expected behavior for an AR to not accept a fully loaded magazine if the bolt is forward?

2) Do any of you guys have experience with this, and do you down load the magazine?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Modified magazines, regardless of the type (polymer or metal), tend to have a tighter fit compared to the stock-magazines. This is often times because of the respective procedure that the producer uses when putting the modified magazines together to only accept 15 rounds max. Stock/non-pinned magazines can have some extra play to them (the good type), and are easier to seat even if the magazine is filled to capacity and the bolt is forward.

So, to answer your questions, I would say that since we, NJ residents, are limited to 15 round magazines, and the only available type are modified magazines-- the tight fit should be expected (and honestly, it's not a bad thing as I'd rather have a tight fit compared to a loose fit in which that 16th round might be able to be squeezed in).

And secondly, Uncle Sam taught me to download a round or two regardless of the magazine or firearm it's being used for-- but most notably with the AR-pattern rifles. So, I have a bias response to that question anyway.

Ultimately, as the end user, you will have more then one magazine on hand anyway-- whether it's at the range, competition, or in the home. Maxing it at 15 vs. having multiple magazines; I'll take multiple magazines, even if they're only loaded for like 10, because magazines can tend to fail... and that one magazine with 15 crammed rounds isn't of much benefit, nor is the rifle, if it isn't working as intended.

Interesting Post Dan. I am new to the AR scene but did notice that on my 15 round Pmags as well but since I recently got the Uplula Strip loader, I usually only load 10 rounds at a time at the range now. It tends to slow down my ammo usage a little :wild: so I don't mind. I just got 500 rounds on stripper clips and that seems to really make life easier at the range.

1) Is this normal/expected behavior for an AR to not accept a fully loaded magazine if the bolt is forward?

2) Do any of you guys have experience with this, and do you down load the magazine?

1) It is normal, particularly with 15 round mags.

2) I always load my 15 round mags to 14.

I had a similar issue loading rounds 14 and 15 in my 20 round AK mags pinned to 15. My soultion was to open the mag and pull more of the spring inside below the ' rivet / pin ' . This loosened the spring tension on top of it allowing me to get all 15 rounds in with ease.

hope this helps.

-alec

it depends on who pins the mags. i have 2 15/30s from riflegear, and its very tight to get a full 15 in on a closed bolt. however, i have several 15/20s and 30s from midwest px, and they are purposely pinned to be able to load a full 15 on a bolt, and it works. i can see the difference when fully loading both....the PX ones have an extra 1/16 to 1/8 play in the spring after the last round.

in america, usgi 30rnd mags are very hard to get a full 30 on a bolt. new designs, ie: pmags, tapco, are again purposely designed to load a full 30 on a bolt, and work that way.

It is only an issue on the first mag as the bolt open gives plenty of room for the next bunch of mags.

This. It can even be an issue with a lot of full capacity magazines, but is often more of an issue with NJ compliant magazines. You cna also just lock your bolt back before loading the first mag. That's what I do.

I'm new to ARs and have a question about magazines not seating. I have a few 20 round pmags modified to only accept 15 rounds and I cannot get a fully-loaded magazine to seat in the mag well of my M&P15 with the bolt forward. I can get it to seat with some extra effort if I only load to 13-14 rounds

So:

Thanks for your help!

Dan

1. Yes.

2. I have been downloading AR/M16 mags usually 2rds. since 1968 for the reasons you state. Some rifles will seat fully loaded mags but by just downloading 2 rds. the bases are covered no matter what rifle or magazines you have. This issue is not unusual and you can find it with other magazine fed weapons, the MP5 being another.

• Like 1

Just adding my experience. I have 6 15/20 PMAGs from Midwest PX and do not have this issue at all. My mags seat no problem with the bolt forward, haven't noticed them being particularly tight/finnicky. Probably just who pinned them and how "tightly" they pinned 'em.

Since I haven't had this issue, I don't download any of my mags.

Why are you loading full mags on a closed bolt? Open it up insert mag and hit the release. Shoot until lock back insert new mag and release. Continue until threat is neutralized or you don't want to shoot anymore. Boom problem solved.

:facepalm:

Those who carry a gun for a living know that it sucks to walk into a room with less than a maxed-out mag in your gun because you didn't Tac-load when you had a chance. This goes for pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

Tac-load: for a longer life.

I always download 2 on standard capacity mags, and 1 on reduced capacity mags for the rifle. I download 1 on my Glock 22 mags as well.

Why are you loading full mags on a closed bolt? Open it up insert mag and hit the release. Shoot until lock back insert new mag and release. Continue until threat is neutralized or you don't want to shoot anymore. Boom problem solved.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic. There are situations where it would be wise to do an admin reload, keeping your weapon filled to capacity when not in immediate use