gunguy1960

Change law to 20 round mag limit

Why cant any Republican representative or N.J. gun group take up the simple cause of getting our magazine capacity limit in this state increased from 15 rounds to 20? This would be fantastic for owners of semi autos whereas 20 round mags are common and cheap and 15 rounds are either non existent or custom, expensive, and legally suspect. Yes, we want concealed carry, and lots more, but if we cant even get this changed, with a republican gov., then we are just forever going backwards. Anyone have any thoughts, other than telling me I live in a very screwed up state and should move, ?

20 rounds is more important to me than CCW, but it may actually be harder in this environment. I think anti-gun people focus on magazine capacity more than anything else, and it's become the most public gun-control issue. When you think about the tragedy with Congresswoman Giffords and all the bystanders, the media and opportunistic anti-gun people focused more on the magazine capacity the gunman used. No one tried seriously to ban Glocks, but they all started talking about magazine capacity.

I think capacity is a hot-button issue, and it might be hard to change.

• Like 1

Christie is anything but a republican, he is a pure north east liberal politician whos one and only goal is to advance his public employment as long as possible. His choice for his first AG is proof of that. Compare what happened in Wisconsin and their gun laws since they elected a republican. I pray that christie runs as VP if romney gets the nod as that might be the only way we can rid our selfs of him quickly yet the outcome of that is not promising either since romney is as bad as christie with the constitution. New Jerseys only relief will come from the federal level and at the rate they are stalling it I will be retired and out of NJ. christie had the power to use executive order to straighten out many of nj's gun laws as well as appoint a AG who respects the constitution and he could have ordered the AG not to fight the SAF lawsuit and comply with the second amendment.

• Like 1

I agree with you, but you can imagine what happens when a politician who does this is up for re-election.

"My opponent proposed legislation to allow more deadly assault weapons on the street. He doesn't care about the safety of you or your children. blah blah blah ..."

15 rounds is fine with me. I would rather have dumb laws aboloished, such as the "Assault Weapons Ban" in NJ. Since everyone and their mother doesn't own an AR or AK anyway (legally!).

I bang my head against wall thinking about stupid this law is. Anyone can drive to PA and by 30 round magazines and drive back into NJ. The law only impacts those rare moments that a gun owner decides to shoot people.... Because we know the criminals shooting AK Variants from a sunroof of a BMW chasing cars in Newark aren't using 15 round mags.

if you want gun laws changed then you need to join the NJ2AS or NRA or SAF or all of them, then contribute some funds so they can do the work, it takes lots of cash and members for things to start to change in our favor.

Honestly,what does the NRA do for us in the State of New Jersey? Yea I'm a member but I just don't see them working for us in this State. Am I wrong?

• Like 2

Honestly,what does the NRA do for us in the State of New Jersey? Yea I'm a member but I just don't see them working for us in this State. Am I wrong?

The NRA hits things on a national level and gets involved in state issues that are winnable, right now at the state level the other groups and WE are more effective, and when it's time for the NRA to give that final push, or the push we need in the case that we hope will be heard by the SCOTUS is where money allocations and resources are best served for the whole NRA membership.

^^^THIS. I like the NJ2A, but honestly, I'm rather skeptical of any of them. I don't want to waste my time joining until they actually get something accomplished. I didn't see a single pro 2A person, other than myself out at the townhall meeting with Christie today (Didn't call on me to ask a question. I wanted to bring up why we are still using a redundant, and ineffecient paperbased system for the FID system when other states, with lower gun crime rates don't have an FID system. It's just a waste of money.) I don't see us out there protesting (yes, the word is sour in my mouth too) or making our voices heard. It seems like we sit here on this forum going back and forth with, "Damn, did you see this law, it's bull sh--." "Yeah, and they want to do (fill in the blank) too."

The politicians push the gun owners around because they don't realize how serious we are, and because they don't hear from us as a collective. When a few of us call to complain to a politician, they chalk it up to one or two pro-gun "loonies" and disregard it. If we could mobilize, and organize ourselves, and be more consistent, and vocal with our demands, maybe they'll start to actually take us seriously.

• Like 3

^^^THIS. I like the NJ2A, but honestly, I'm rather skeptical of any of them. I don't want to waste my time joining until they actually get something accomplished. I didn't see a single pro 2A person, other than myself out at the townhall meeting with Christie today (Didn't call on me to ask a question. I wanted to bring up why we are still using a redundant, and ineffecient paperbased system for the FID system when other states, with lower gun crime rates don't have an FID system. It's just a waste of money.) I don't see us out there protesting (yes, the word is sour in my mouth too) or making our voices heard. It seems like we sit here on this forum going back and forth with, "Damn, did you see this law, it's bull sh--." "Yeah, and they want to do (fill in the blank) too."

The politicians push the gun owners around because they don't realize how serious we are, and because they don't hear from us as a collective. When a few of us call to complain to a politician, they chalk it up to one or two pro-gun "loonies" and disregard it. If we could mobilize, and organize ourselves, and be more consistent, and vocal with our demands, maybe they'll start to actually take us seriously.

What he said ^^^ Thats really going to be the only way we get any change at all. well, that and voting for the rite people.

Ken

Ken

Why only ask for 20-rounds per mag? We all know, it's not the good guys with 50-round mags that are causing the issues. It's the thugs who don't listen or abide by the current laws. As soon as our government accepts that fact, things will get much better. Will that ever happen in our lifetime is the question.

IMO you aim too low.

Mag limits do nothing - criminals will carry 30, 50, 100 rd magazines. Only Joe Law Abiding Citizen worries about mag limits.

It would take just as much to change the mag limit from 20 to 100 so why shoot for so low a goal?

• Like 1

I don't think you will see any gun law reform in NJ done by politicians unless they are forced by the courts. Our governor is no help either, although Iam sure when he does decide to run for natioanl office he will magically come out as an NRA life member and supporter of gun rights like all the other politicians do!

I don't think you will see any gun law reform in NJ done by politicians unless they are forced by the courts. Our governor is no help either, although Iam sure when he does decide to run for natioanl office he will magically come out as an NRA life member and supporter of gun rights like all the other politicians do!

why cant we start a nra/gun owners rally on courtroom steps or something?!??? Give me the index cards with topics and statements and i will read them off on a loudspeaker and to news reporters.... i got a A in my public speaking class in college :icon_e_biggrin:

why cant we start a nra/gun owners rally on courtroom steps or something?!??? Give me the index cards with topics and statements and i will read them off on a loudspeaker and to news reporters.... i got a A in my public speaking class in college :icon_e_biggrin:

See my above post. As a community I don't think we're very vocal, and we rarely tell our politicians en masse how we feel. I'm not surprised they restrict us, they probably don't think we're a very large voting block. Hell, we might not be, but if we can prove to them that we're highly motivated, and a disproportionate amount of us will go out and actually vote, they won't have any choice but to listen.

Let NJ2A handle the lengthy court procedures. All members of NJGF should join together and start a grassroots movement to inform our politicians how we feel, to make ourselves seen and heard, so that they can no longer ignore us.

See my above post. As a community I don't think we're very vocal, and we rarely tell our politicians en masse how we feel. I'm not surprised they restrict us, they probably don't think we're a very large voting block. Hell, we might not be, but if we can prove to them that we're highly motivated, and a disproportionate amount of us will go out and actually vote, they won't have any choice but to listen.

Let NJ2A handle the lengthy court procedures. All members of NJGF should join together and start a grassroots movement to inform our politicians how we feel, to make ourselves seen and heard, so that they can no longer ignore us.

the NJ2AS is that grassroots campaign.

More than that, it takes money to show the politicians that care.

Btw, the last time there was a "rally" to oppose the one gun a month.... only 3 members showed up from here, and a few from njcsd. Great in theory.

the NJ2AS is that grassroots campaign.

More than that, it takes money to show the politicians that care.

Btw, the last time there was a "rally" to oppose the one gun a month.... only 3 members showed up from here, and a few from njcsd. Great in theory.

That's the problem exactly. We need to be more unified, we can try and go for a long, expensive judicial slug-fest, or we can try and organize something on the large scale at the same time, and have twice the impact.

why would this be your primary point of contention with new jersey laws, of all things? Yes I agree there should be no limit at all, but there are so many other more critical things, in my opinion most notably carry law, but also other things like the handgun purchase process. The 15 round limit just sucks logistically, because magazines are slightly harder to come by, but honestly in terms of overall defensive capability and/or fun at the range, 15 rounds is plenty. I would start somewhere else and come back to the magazine limit after tackling everything else.

Also, nothing really stopping someone in New Jersey from buying a standard capacity magazine in PA, breaking it down into individual parts, and calling it a magazine "re-build" kit...

Or buying >15 round mags and pinning them/limiting them yourself...

But really, the 15 round capacity limit is pretty much unenforceable from a practical sense.

let me see...over 1mil gunowners, only 40k NRA members in NJ.

where do u think they will spend their $$$? NOT NJ!

Maybe we can contact people on this site, send emails to friends,Tea party networks, work with SAF,NRA and others (mailing lists) set up a date then peacefully stand in front of the capital building? I don't know, just throwing the idea out there... I am tired of whining and complaining with no action. I know we all work and have families but we will (at some point) need to legitimately defend ourselves outside of the home and these Unconstitutional CCW laws in New Jersey could get US killed. What say you?