blksheep

Name some good things historically about NJ.

No personal property tax

Among the cheapest gas in the country if not the cheapest

Full Service gas for no extra cost

"Free" vehicle inspection (free because you really pay for it through your registration...)

4 REAL seasons

You can tell someone to F-off to their face and they think you're just being cordial

Many outdoor sports, Hunting, Fishing, Beach, Lakes, Mountains, etc.

Lol I read all about that mine in Weird NJ

Yeah , they had to bring in serious imaging equipment ( for the times ) and check the whole surrounding area for anymore shafts that were not filled like they were suppose to be.They found plenty..and then they "shafted " the homeowners for repair costs.. people had to pony up or have their house deemed unfit for inhabitance . Then they got partial refunds after a few years. Oh wait , this is suppose to be a what's good about NJ thread :o

I dont believe this anymore. This past summer I was in Ohio and Tennesee, gas was cheaper out there by at least 20 cents.

I can't speak for TN, but Ohio this past summer was about 15 cents a gallon more than NJ. We are probably in the top five for lowest fuel prices.

Well, there's The Hughes Ammendment.

- Hughes amendment – banning civilian machineguns

- Lautenberg Act – confiscation of weapons from anybody involved in domestic incident and prohibiting same persons

- First state to ban "assault weapons" and Clinton said it should be used as a model for the nation.

I know some NJ legislator either sponsored or was instrumental in the 1934 NFA, 1968 GCA, or AWB. I just can't remember this bit of trivia and a few minutes on the search engine yielded nothing.

I believe Arthur Sills (the one behind the 1966 FID law) worked with Dodd on 1968 GCA....

I believe the first submarine was tested in Hoboken in the very late 19th early 20th century.

Salem, New Jersey was once a great city featuring the Heinz Bottling Plant and Sturgeon Caviar. As a side note to Heinz in Salem, they also produced their own glass bottles and had them shipped via conveyor between the two plants. They employed like half of the city.

Penns Grove was once a summer hangout for Al Cappone (supposedly).

Salem was also a hot spot for the underground railroad. Most of the houses are still around today.

Leeds Point(?) in the Pine Barrens isn't just home to the Jersey Devil, but also to the actual Leeds family house. The foundation is still there, as well as the chimney.

Oh ! Peter Benchley wrote Jaws based on the string of attacks in Spring Lake and in the Manasquan river. Ok , not great history for the victims..but it was a great book and an epic movie :)

Matawan way inside the Raritan Bay. Not Manasquan.

Anything in the Pine Barrens... Batso, Wading River, Ongs Hat etc etc etc.

NJ's own Paul Revere.. Jonas Cattell. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jonas-Cattell-Revolutionary-War-Hero/384526520864

Cape May and the USCG Base and the Bunker. http://www.capemayviews.com/Attractions/Lighthouse/bunker.htm

I can't speak for TN, but Ohio this past summer was about 15 cents a gallon more than NJ. We are probably in the top five for lowest fuel prices.

I was just north of Cincinatti area off i75 in early July, premium was much cheaper there than NJ. Maybe up north by the lakes is more expensive?