keithco88

Holster wear on finish from kydex

So I just got my shiny new PPQ (pics to come) and I've been practicing drawing and reholstering with my kydex holster from pjholster.com and I'm noticing a little streak of wear along the right side of the slide between the front serrations and the ejection port. I'm thinking this is one of the main pressure/hold points for the holster on the gun, but I'm wondering if it's normal to notice this after only ~25 draws.

I cleaned & lubed & wiped my gun down right when I got it and I've just been practicing and noticed the streak, have not shot it myself yet so it's not any leftover residue from firing. Is this normal? Is there anything I should be doing to treat/break in my holster or is this just what happens when you actually use your gun instead of just put it in a safe and bring it to the range?

I'll be using this for IDPA so if it's gonna get scratched up anyway I'll live...I still have my Kimber (even though I REALLY love shooting it) as my showpiece :-) I'll try to get a picture highlighting the streak and post an update but right now the lighting and the camera from my phone ain't cuttin it.

Make sure your kydex holster has no sharp edges. I always check my new holsters and sand down any sharp edge that may scratch the finish on the pistol.

Whether you like it or not holster cannot be avoided. Most Kydex holster do not have any lining and will subject your gun's finish to more wear than soft leather or nylon holsters.

should I look at nylon or leather?

I avoided leather because if it gets wet you're hosed, and personally I just don't like the look (no offense to leather fans out there...i really just can't pull it off)

I avoided nylon because everything seemed to need the strap over the top to secure it and I really don't want that in any scenario where I'd be carrying.

Anything I'm missing? my gut tells me tony357 is totally right and these will just be "love scars" on my gun from a whole lot of practice and shooting from kydex

You want a brutal holster, let some sand get in a leather one.

25 draws tells me the ppq has a pretty delicate finish. I have a gun done in ionbond, which is HARD compared to most other finishes. It took two years, but I'm finally getting holster wear. I've got it on my melonited guns, parkerized guns, Teflon and epoxy coated guns, blued guns, etc.

You want maximum life, get a thick nickel boron plating. It'll take a good long time to wear through.

Shoot it enough, and everything wears.

So I just got my shiny new PPQ (pics to come) and I've been practicing drawing and reholstering with my kydex holster

So does this mean that you'll be at the CJ USPSA match this weekend? I know the PPQ is not yet approved for Production, but you could shoot Limited or Limited 10. Put all that drawing practice to good use.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It happens. Within the first 10 minutes of practice my Kimber lost some bluing on the tip.

Leather is not any better. If anything i wears more since it makes more contact with the

holster usually.

Thats because its not a Glock with the good finish :)

How true...My GLOCKS have been in and out of holsters 1000's of times with no wear.

OTOH...What a sin I have a pristine S&W mod 19 that I carried for about 2 weeks that has a little wear at the muzzle.

I know, I'll get thrashed by Pizza Bob.

How true...My GLOCKS have been in and out of holsters 1000's of times with no wear.

OTOH...What a sin I have a pristine S&W mod 19 that I carried for about 2 weeks that has a little wear at the muzzle.

Not as long as it was a leather holster

Ask around at a USPSA match, you'll see plenty of worn and shiny glocks.

So does this mean that you'll be at the CJ USPSA match this weekend? I know the PPQ is not yet approved for Production, but you could shoot Limited or Limited 10. Put all that drawing practice to good use.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nope, I'm just hitting the range in Easton this weekend to get a feel for the gun. I have very little experience with 9mms in general, a lot of quality time on 1911's. Want to get some range time in before embarassing myself in public...which I'm sure will happen anyway.

I'll probably see you at the March match...will message you or post to the events board as it gets closer. Have fun!

all of my holsters are Kydex and my Glocks are not scratched up at all..

So I put 200 rounds down range yesterday and then cleaned up my PPQ again and the "streaks" are gone. I actually emailed the folks at Kaluban Cloak (even though it's not a KC holster) and they said Kydex sometimes rubs off but a simple silicon cloth rub-down will remove the streaks.

Here she is all polished up with her new accessory

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii536/keithco88/20120212_203042.jpg

So I put 200 rounds down range yesterday and then cleaned up my PPQ again and the "streaks" are gone. I actually emailed the folks at Kaluban Cloak (even though it's not a KC holster) and they said Kydex sometimes rubs off but a simple silicon cloth rub-down will remove the streaks.

Here she is all polished up with her new accessory

http://i1258.photobu...0212_203042.jpg

Have you thought about fitting Trijicons (WP01)? I found the green front and orange or yellow rears worked well on the Low Light/No Light course I just took.

Looks great!

TheWombat