Gorilla800lbs

Beretta CX4 Storm impressions?

i wonder how much more power do you get firing a pistol round out of a longer carbine barrel? my cx4 is 45 cal, probably doesnt go as far as 9mm or 40 cal. or does it?

For the sake of argument, use the speer gold dot as an ammo constant all out of a 16 inch barrel.

9mm- 1379 fps

40sw-1143 fps

45acp-990 fps

the lighter ammo will move a little faster than the heavier and not drop as quickly. High pressure pistol cartridges benefit more from the longer barrels of carbines, compared to low pressure.

My own take, I did not enjoy the CX9 I had. Price wise, it is the same as a decent AR-15, recoil wise, I believed the felt recoil was harsher on the cx9 than a mid or rifle gas AR.

The only plus that I can gather, is the common caliber, and magazine interchangeability.

Beyond that, AR any day.

My own take, I did not enjoy the CX9 I had. Price wise, it is the same as a decent AR-15, recoil wise, I believed the felt recoil was harsher on the cx9 than a mid or rifle gas AR.

The only plus that I can gather, is the common caliber, and magazine interchangeability.

Beyond that, AR any day.

I agree.

The Cx4 is a great compliment to the matching pistol due to ammo, and magazine interchangeability. As a standalone rifle, its niche is inside 200 yards, where the 5.56 loading is still realistically effective at almost twice that range.

Its a great range and gun game toy, but the pistol calibers just run out of gas too soon for it to be considered a true conventional rifle.

i wonder how much more power do you get firing a pistol round out of a longer carbine barrel? my cx4 is 45 cal, probably doesnt go as far as 9mm or 40 cal. or does it?

not sure on effective range.. but I bet 45 out of a 16in barrel would knock the shit out of anything it hit within personal defense distance.. ;)

I have two CX4's at the moment, a 9mm and .40. I plan on shooting the .40 tonoght to see what it's like. The 9mm is being bought by a friend on mine this week. We did shoot that one, damn accurate. I like the front post on it, never used one before. Now I need to find the rail for the .40 so I can put one on that one too. I put a spare red dot on the .40 to see what it's like. I am hoping it will co-witness with the stock sights. The stock sights are good provided there is enough lighting, everything is black on that gun and my eyes aren't what they used to be!

I have two CX4's at the moment, a 9mm and .40. I plan on shooting the .40 tonoght to see what it's like. The 9mm is being bought by a friend on mine this week. We did shoot that one, damn accurate. I like the front post on it, never used one before. Now I need to find the rail for the .40 so I can put one on that one too. I put a spare red dot on the .40 to see what it's like. I am hoping it will co-witness with the stock sights. The stock sights are good provided there is enough lighting, everything is black on that gun and my eyes aren't what they used to be!

I put a trijicon (yellow triangle) on mine.. I gave up co-witness but for close shooting (where I would use it anyway) it is solid..

I am still waiting, perhaps in vain, for a good deal on 9mm CX4 to come across, but I started putting together the pieces of kit I want to go on it -- a Leapers red dot they had on sale at Dvor.com the other day, Moerse shroud, rails and foldable foregrip..

primary arms makes a great inexpensive quality red dot..

the shroud just makes the gun stupid heavy.. save your cash IMO..

I was pleasantly suprised to see the red dot co-witnessed perfectly with the factory sites. Shot a lot in the 10 ring at 25 yards. The .40 has more kick than the 9mm version for sure, and this .40 version has that barrel shroud on it. I'm going to see if I can put a good recoil pad on it, the factory piece isn't much of anything.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the red dot co-witnessed perfectly with the factory sites. Shot a lot in the 10 ring at 25 yards. The .40 has more kick than the 9mm version for sure, and this .40 version has that barrel shroud on it. I'm going to see if I can put a good recoil pad on it, the factory piece isn't much of anything.

Which red dot sight are you using?

went to range today with my cx4 storm in 45 cal., too easy to shoot holes into holes, she is a super accurate laser... awesome carbine, my friend is in the army who came to bullet hole with me, and he shoots an ar all day, everyday, he was in utter shock how well it shot, he absolutetly loved it! I had a bushnell trophy red dot on mine but we took it off, cx4 storm doesn't need it, really!

For me, the CX4 was a very good fit. I had a 92SF so I had the mags and mag pouches for gun games, even indoors and the 2x4 match. I reload 9mm so I already have the dies and supplies. The ammo cost is a big plus. I can reload 9mm carbine rounds for about $6.50 per 50. Now Baretta has a 30-round mag. If I was going to fight the Taliban, it would not be my weapon of choice, but for my needs, if works very well.

To me they are the worst of both worlds. They have the performance of a pistol with none of the handiness of a pistol shoved into the heavier package of a rifle with none of the caliber advantages of a rifle.

OR

they are the best of both worlds. A rifle that uses the same magazines and ammo as your side arm and is cheaper to shoot as well. Add to that, you can shoot this rifle in a pistol range so you can shoot it more than an AR or AK (or even a 12 gauge). ADD TO THAT, it's a 100 yard gun and if you need to shoot farther than that then you've got problems.

• Like 3

I first fired .45 ACP (in a rifle) through an Auto-Ordnance Thompson Model 1921-A1 Semi-Auto way back more than a decade ago. It was at CJR&PC in Jackson at an event entitled "Gun Day" or something similar. The Club hosted a bunch of different manufacturers and they brought rifles, pistols, shotguns, and some rather interesting specialty arms, one of which was the TommyGun! Each Shooter dipped their hand into a tupperware "bucket" and grabbed 10 rounds to load into the stick magazines they had for the Gun. The line for this thing was at least five people long, so every five Shooters was a box of 50 rounds!

When it was my turn, instead of just going after paper targets close-up, I opted to shoot a USPSA full-size Pepper-Popper instead. Timing my trigger releases I could hit the Popper when it was on it's way back up after already being hit. I had no problem knocking it back down soundly even though the spring-action was in the middle of the reset mode. The distance was somewhere around 40 yards if I remember correctly. So from what I saw with my own two eyes, .45 ACP 230 grain Ball ammo has some "Thumpability" left in it at that distance when fired from a rifle-length barrel.

Fast-forward to "today"------and one of my friends let me have a whack at some evil paper targets at the Old Bridge Indoor Range a while back with his .45 Storm. Dead-on accurate, but to me the trigger did need a little work. Once that issue was resolved, it was a real hoot to shoot, inside or out! You won't be sorry to get one of these!

Dave