rdsmith3

Do I need a holster?

So I have this new Walther PPQ 9mm for fun shooting, and HD backup (along with my Rem 870). Since we don't have concealed carry in NJ, is there any reason I need a holster? At home, I have both guns locked in a cabinet in my bedroom. We always have kids in our house.

I can't think of any reason why I need a holster.

The only reasons I can think of that you would need a holster are:

1.) You're going to carry when you're home.

2.) You're going to compete in events like USPSA or IDPA where one is required.

3.) You're going to do training where they're required.

It's convenient for those times that you need both hands; like hanging a new target, opening a box of ammo or helping someone at the range. I have a table at my range, but I just don't like putting down a firearm and walking down range to collect/replace a target.

I would not personally trust my ability to get to a locked cabinet and retrieve a gun in an emergency...

you have kids.. and want them away from guns since it is unsafe..

a good quality holster with a retention system will allow you to carry a gun without accidentally dropping it, or allowing unintentional access to the weapon.. it may sound crazy.. but I have a Glock 27 in a blackhawk holster that just clips on my pants.. carry it all the time.. ALL the time.. play with my nieces and nephews.. it is never an "issue" and keeps the gun at ready should it be needed..

I will say that, having children, I could not commit to carrying around the house. Holsters are man made and can fail just as anything else man made. I have absolutely NOTHING against those who choose to carry around their house at all. In my eyes there is just as much chance of the invasion as there is an accident with the kids. Maybe this is statistically incorrect. I am also just shopping for my first gun and with kids in my house I am already nervouse to have the gun there to begin with. I am sure as I become more familiar with my weapons that will go away to some degree.

With that said, a holster is absolutely needed if you are competing or training requires it.

I'm sure carrying in the house and all that can be debated at length . There are pros , obviously..but there are cons if you live in urban NJ and want your kids to actually have friends .I like the idea , but if I did carry in the house , would have to go concealed , which would mean buying a specific good gun for that purpose. In my house at least .

As for the holster thing , this is JMO ..it is not a big huge ticket item in the scheme of things . Why not get one ? It is a neat accessory , Same goes for mag holders IMO . And if you decide you want to pop into a training class , you're set. Even if you don't do any classes or activities where one is required , it is probably good to have around. You never know what could go down , you may want to have your handgun on your hip , along with extra mag holders .. and your Remi in your hand. Since neither mag holders or a holster have to break the bank , I say get them.

Ok Serpa holsters are wonderful, buy one for everything you own. Also buy kevlar pants.

Seriously there is something very stupid by design with Serpa's (or anything that has a button activator over the trigger guard for that matter) and just because they are cheap and say Blackhawk with an exclamation point over it does not mean they are fine.

I will say that, having children, I could not commit to carrying around the house. Holsters are man made and can fail just as anything else man made. I have absolutely NOTHING against those who choose to carry around their house at all. In my eyes there is just as much chance of the invasion as there is an accident with the kids.

A few points of interest to add:

Since you are new to firearms, you are corect that your precautions and hesitations to loaded firearms in the house should diminish over time.

While I am very much against carrying outside your home without a round chambered, I feel that carrying INSIDE your home without a round chambered is a completely logical compromise if safety around children is a concern. That being said - I still have a round in the chamber.

Your house is also man made, and your roof could collapse. While a dramatic example, a firearm is no more dangerous acting on it's own then any other appliance or tool, staple gun, microwave, hammer, etc.

Depending on the age of your children: teach them proper handling (or NO handling at all without you being present), and show them to your children should they ask. Taking away the mystery and mystic of firearms will help reduce the chance of them attempting to view them without your permission.

$0.02

If you plan to rely on a handgun or shotgun for home defense, then you really should take some training. The first time you have to operate the firearm under a dynamic and timed situation you will be amazed how little you are prepared by just punching holes in paper at the range. You will need a holster and magazine pouches at a handgun class.

Hint, MDTS has posted its schedule for 2012 ... https://mdtstraining.com/services.htm

Edit: I just noticed your other thread about taking a basic class with NGG. Obviously you are already on the right track. I'll still add that if you plan to continue with more advanced classes a holster will probably be required.

If you plan to rely on a handgun or shotgun for home defense, then you really should take some training. The first time you have to operate the firearm under a dynamic and timed situation you will be amazed how little you are prepared by just punching holes in paper at the range. You will need a holster and magazine pouches at a handgun class.

Hint, MDTS has posted its schedule for 2012 ... https://mdtstraining.com/services.htm

Edit: I just noticed your other thread about taking a basic class with NGG. Obviously you are already on the right track. I'll still add that if you plan to continue with more advanced classes a holster will probably be required.

Thanks. I have given a lot of thought to this. I am open to input if my thinking is off base.

First, my primary HD weapon is a shotgun.

Second, I would not carry while at home for a variety of reasons, mostly because we always have a lot of kids in the house.

Third, at night time, while I am asleep, it seems that it would be faster to grab the handgun from a secure spot and go with it, than to put a holster on and then grab the gun. (This is assuming the shotgun is not available for some reason.)

Second, I would not carry while at home for a variety of reasons, mostly because we always have a lot of kids in the house.

I will never understand this reasoning. Kids are mischievous and will get into EVERYTHING. I know, because I used to be one, and I got into EVERYTHING. If your handgun is concealed in an IWB, there is no way for the kid to get his/her hands on it. Carrying the gun is the best way to keep it out of the kid's hand.

• Like 1

if you feel that a small child has the ability to remove a firearm from you that is holstered under a shirt then yes.. you should probably not carry in the house..

I carry a gun all the time (I am pretty much in PA now)... I run around.. and play with my nieces and nephews all the time.. none have ever taken my gun.. in fact I almost feel it is safer ON me where I have control of the weapon.. than somewhere else they MIGHT get access to it.. do you carry a pocket knife?

...it seems that it would be faster to grab the handgun from a secure spot and go with it, than to put a holster on and then grab the gun.

To clarify, I am not saying you necessarily need a holster for home defense scenario. You would need one to participate in the majority of advanced handgun classes.

I am a firm believer in taking the mystery and curiousity away from kids. Teach them from a young age firearms safety and you will be ok.

This I do. I let my 5 year old, and the older kids, handle the gun if they want, to take the curiosity away. But I keep emphasizing with the 5 year old that he must never touch it if I am not around, and he should tell mommy or daddy. I just want to prepare him in case I forget some day, and also take away the novelty.

I will never understand this reasoning. Kids are mischievous and will get into EVERYTHING. I know, because I used to be one, and I got into EVERYTHING. If your handgun is concealed in an IWB, there is no way for the kid to get his/her hands on it. Carrying the gun is the best way to keep it out of the kid's hand.

There are a lot of reasons. First, I like to play with my kids, such as wrestling on the floor with them. Second, we also have teens who do not drive yet, and I am always driving them places. On a Saturday, I might be in and out of the house 10 times -- swimming lessons, field hockey practice, friends house, etc. I'd have to put the gun away every time I ran out of the house. Third, my wife is very uncomfortable with guns. This is all new to both of us. I bought a shotgun in December and a handgun in February. She is one of those people who thinks a gun can go off all by itself. I pulled my shotgun out of the safe one day. My son wanted to look at it (the curious 5 year old). I said, OK, I have to unload it first. My wife was shocked. "you mean it's loaded!?" I said, "Yes, it's not much good for home defense if it's not loaded."

She gave me "the look" that all men know about.