Regulator72

Kids, guns and school teachers

So...

It's ok for the kids to chant/say vagina and penis, curse and swear on the playground saying things like b!tch and whore but God help you if you say gun (or for that matter God) in school, the world is about to come to an end.

And to wvu - I hope you send the same note home regarding the kid who said to the other kid "pass me the knife" at the lunch table.

Great post...

She obviously overreacted and was just making sure that you were aware that he said such a horrific word... Hypersensitivity, zero tolerance and fear is driving this kind of BS. Simply explain that you are currently teaching your child the proper way to respect firearms and if she'd like to discuss it in detail you'd be more than welcome to meet with her and the schools principle. Don't worry too much about it.

I too have a 7yo who shot my MKIII for the first time this past Saturday. He's been extremely excited to tell anyone who'll listen how well he did. As am I.

I'm expecting to get a similar note or call.

Good Luck!

I agree

I would send back a note containing something along the lines of:

"I am sorry Mrs. So-and-So, I could see that you were having a long day when you wrote this note. I believe that you mixed up a few other letters when writing them, as you wrote "Timmy had said __________________gun______". The only logical explanation that I have for this is you must have mixed up another note, as that clearly does not make any sense. Just to clairify that I had not mixed up a few nouns myself, I looked up both "violence" and "guns" in the latest Meriam-Webster American English dictionary and they were not related in any case. Regardless, if there are any more concerns, please feel free to contact me. If you would like, I would be happy to donate my dictionary to the classroom as well"

You get the point.

• Like 1

So...

It's ok for the kids to chant/say vagina and penis, curse and swear on the playground saying things like b!tch and whore but God help you if you say gun (or for that matter God) in school, the world is about to come to an end.

And to wvu - I hope you send the same note home regarding the kid who said to the other kid "pass me the knife" at the lunch table.

You can say any word u want on a plane, but try saying bomb.

• Like 1

You have to have a steady stream of the NJ kool-aid in your veins to think that this note is any way shape or form okay. Stand up to it in any way you see fit, just do not let it slide. Gun is not a violent word. Next thing you guys are going to try and convince me is that a rifle can assault someone.

• Like 1

DO NOT JOKE AROUND AT THE AIRPORT !!!!! It's not a joke, it's not funny and you will not like your new accommodations..

Which is exactly my point, and we have more shootings in schools then we have bombs blowing up planes.

I don't agree with the teacher determining that gun is a violent word and talking to the student as if he had done something wrong.

• Like 1

So...

Actually it's not okay for them to do any of those things and any of that would get either a note home or a trip to the office. Then again my students learn quickly what is and isn't appropriate in a school. I've had lessons and talked about guns in history. It's all about the context and the use of the word, and none of us know exactly how the word was used. As far as "pass me a knife" goes you bet that would land them in trouble (our cafeteria doesn't give the kids knives).

And for all you dictionary guys out there the word gun can be used as a verb...

gun (down) - To shoot someone or something, usually with a firearm

gunning - To seek to attack someone; to take aim at someone.

I never said gun was a violent word just said I think the way the teacher handled it was okay. She sent a note home I know it's the end of the world. I'm sure sending back a bullet hole riddled rant about gun rights will send the right message. It'll prove dad has a short temper and access to firearms. Like we needed any more bad stereotypes.

What you need to teach you child is OPSEC. While he is a ward of the state in a public institution, he is in enemy territory and anything he says, can and will be used against him. Teachers are not his friends and they are not looking out for his best interests. They are looking out for the collectives' best interest and if he has to be thrown under a bus to preserve the collective, the wheels on the bus go round and round.

• Like 2

Oh, they'd get a note back from me - probably not what they'd be expecting, but it would be the last time they would mention anything like that to me.

In the interest of civil discourse, I thought you did just fine as you explained it above and a note to the teacher along those lines, with a healthy dose of MYOB would be the best way to play it in MHO.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Agree with this 100%. How is the word gun violent? Is the word hammer violent? Too much PC crap.

What if a kid brought a gun to school and killed a bunch of kids including your child. Later you find out the teacher overheard the shooter talking about a gun a day earlier and did nothing. How would you feel?

In a school we have to treat every situation in a serious matter. The teacher sent a note home and called the word gun a violent word (which I don't agree with). A simple meeting with the teacher to explain your position will go a lot further than a lot of the suggestions on here.

What you need to teach you child is OPSEC. While he is a ward of the state in a public institution, he is in enemy territory and anything he says, can and will be used against him. Teachers are not his friends and they are not looking out for his best interests. They are looking out for the collectives' best interest and if he has to be thrown under a bus to preserve the collective, the wheels on the bus go round and round.

Wow, thank god you're not a teacher. Obviously you know nothing about education. Education today is about individualized education and teaching to students strengths and not the best interest of the collective as you have stated. Until you spend a day in the classroom I suggest you don't pass judgement on the job just as I don't pass judgement on anyone else's job I haven't done.

Wow, thank god you're not a teacher. Obviously you know nothing about education. Education today is about individualized education and teaching to students strengths and not the best interest of the collective as you have stated. Until you spend a day in the classroom I suggest you don't pass judgement on the job just as I don't pass judgement on anyone else's job I haven't done.

A kid comes to your school after he went hunting and left a shotgun in his toolbox.

The best interest of the kid is to send him home and tell him to shut up about it.

What actually happens is the kid gets a record and suspended for the rest of the year. The collective has zero tolerance and consequently the kid becomes yet some more lubricant under the wheels of progress.

What an individual student's learning plan may or may not be is irrelevant. The method clearly doesn't work as well as what worked 30 years ago when we were packed 50 to a room, probably because the school is looking after it's teachers first. Instead of firing incompetent teachers, they're tolerated against the best interests of the students. Schools are about preserving income streams for the members of the teachers union. That it occasionally coincides with the interests of the students is good for the students but any threat to the collective is a threat to the income streams and must not be tolerated. There are good teachers that care, they are probably even in the majority, but the structure is inviolate and if a student is sacrificed, so it goes Billy Pilgrim.

A kid comes to your school after he went hunting and left a shotgun in his toolbox.

The best interest of the kid is to send him home and tell him to shut up about it.

What actually happens is the kid gets a record and suspended for the rest of the year. The collective has zero tolerance and consequently the kid becomes yet some more lubricant under the wheels of progress.

What an individual student's learning plan may or may not be is irrelevant. The method clearly doesn't work as well as what worked 30 years ago when we were packed 50 to a room, probably because the school is looking after it's teachers first. Instead of firing incompetent teachers, they're tolerated against the best interests of the students. Schools are about preserving income streams for the members of the teachers union. That it occasionally coincides with the interests of the students is good for the students but any threat to the collective is a threat to the income streams and must not be tolerated. There are good teachers that care, they are probably even in the majority, but the structure is inviolate and if a student is sacrificed, so it goes Billy Pilgrim.

It's illegal to bring a gun on school grounds so it's okay to break the law? This kid can get up early enough to hunt but can't stop home to drop off the gun? Come on man you sound ridiculous.

Also class sizes are larger today than they were 30 years ago so keep blowing that smoke up people's @sses.

Education today is about unions, teachers pushing their political agendas, and teaching the students to pass proficiency tests.

Wow man you have no idea. Keep believing the Christie hype with the rest of the sheeple. Like I said spend a day in my shoes.

Wow man you have no idea. Keep believing the Christie hype with the rest of the sheeple. Like I said spend a day in my shoes.

I don't pay much attention to Christie, but I did raise two kids on my own, went to every back to school night and kept in contact with their teachers. Before every election the e-mails I recieved from the school made me want to puke. My current girlfriend has a freshman in high school who can barely read, but his report card doesn't reflect this. Great grades, can't fkn read? Give me a break. Not the schools fault, but let's not pretend this isn't going on.

• Like 1

Weekends, Holidays, Holiday weeks, and Summers off. Dont forget the NJEA convention off. I should have been a teacher. I am not mad at them. Some are good some are bad. Like any other job in America. Alot of teachers are good out there, its the bad ones that always stand out.

It's illegal to bring a gun on school grounds so it's okay to break the law? This kid can get up early enough to hunt but can't stop home to drop off the gun? Come on man you sound ridiculous.

Google it. It happens multiple times a year. Kids target shoot or hunt, leave a gun in the car, police and gun sniffing dogs run around the lot and the kid gets his life wrecked. Way to look out for the students. To call this ridiculous means you're simply not reading the news.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/feb/01/sierra-vista-high-student-arrested-after-rifle-fou/ Sierra Vista High student arrested after rifle found in car at school

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/09/honor-roll-students-future-balance-gun-law/ Montana Honor Student Faces Expulsion for Leaving Hunting Rifle in Car While at School

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101209/NEWS97/712109961/1120 Gun gets student expelled

For the completely absurd:

http://www.wkrn.com/story/16325409/gun-shaped-pizza-slice Boy disciplined after waving gun-shaped pizza slice

Also class sizes are larger today than they were 30 years ago so keep blowing that smoke up people's @sses.

Whatever you say chief.

I lived it man. More than 20 yrs as the son of a teacher. My brother went down that road as well and taught for a while too. What bothers me most is the absent parents who really think the government is there to solve their problems and the teachers that believe they are the solution to all of societies ills.

As far as students in a classroom, yeah, not so much. I grew up in this state, went to college in this state. I'm finally about to break free if I can reach enough thrust to escape NJ's and Chris Christie's massive gravitational pull. That said, I regularly had classrooms with far more students in them than either of my children currently have or have had and my town receives virtually NO state aid. Yes, I regularly curse out Abbott... NCLB just made things worse, not better.

How come the majority of society can't tell you who the current VP is? Can't tell you what "the war in 1776" was about? Keep telling me how the current curriculum and teachers are doing "such a good job". NYC schools used to be the envy of the world, until the 1960's - now it's a cesspool. What has been done in the last 40 years is NOT helping.

I agree that parents need to be more invlolved. What I have a problem with and cant do anything about it is this:

1. Why do I have to pay taxes to a school system when I dont have kids in the school. When and if I have kids I have no problem paying.

2. If I decide to send my kid to a private school why do I have to pay taxes to a school system that I dont want them in?

• Like 2

Wow, where do you teach? Today, most, if not all school systems in the state of NJ teach what is needed to pass the assinine tests the state mandates our students to take. When I was in school my teachers (those that cared) actually taught us. We didn't have these tests and the No Child Left Behind BS..................

Yes, parents need to be involved, but with the structure of education in this state all I can say is good f-ing luck to this generation of kids......

Malsua, you and I are on the same page brother!

The NJEA MUST GO and GO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I have nothing against most teachers, but there are those that must go but the NJEA makes it near impossible. Administration has just as many flunkies in it too.

I agree that parents need to be more invlolved. What I have a problem with and cant do anything about it is this:

1. Why do I have to pay taxes to a school system when I dont have kids in the school. When and if I have kids I have no problem paying.

2. If I decide to send my kid to a private school why do I have to pay taxes to a school system that I dont want them in?

Because there is not enough money to pay for education today, just ask yourself why.

You can send your kids to public school for "free", you are already paying the taxes to do so, or you can pay extra and send them to private school.

My parents paid taxes for years before their children went to school, and will continue to pay taxes for much, much longer when all their children were done and out of school.

Get all the illegals out of the school system and watch them shrink....................... But no, the Democrats and ACLU will never stand for that, where would all their supporters go? ;)

• Like 3

Not everything schools do is in the best interests of the students.

In 8th grade I was suspended for 2 weeks because I dared to fight back when a bully tried to push my head through the window on the bus. There was a camera on the bus, which clearly showed that I was minding my own business, other kids around the incident, as well as the bully himself, said the same thing. It didn't matter to the principal, there is a zero tolerance policy for fighting he said. When my parent's asked if I was supposed to just sit there and get hit and do nothing about it, he said yes, that is the only acceptable response.

It wasn't all bad though, since I didn't start the fight my parents weren't mad, so I got a 2 week vacation and the bully didn't bother me for the next 5 years.

Getting away from the violence/illegal topic, not all academic policies are in the best interests of the students either.

When I graduated high school, we were not required to take a lunch, and we were not required to take any specific science course, though we did need 2 lab sciences to graduate, leaving students to take courses they were interested in as well as time for electives. I never took a lunch in any of the 4 years, which allowed me to take the required courses, as well as be in the band, study 2 languages, 3 years of Chemistry, 2 years of Physics, and also take a number of non-academic electives, namely wood shop, small engines, and CADD.

Now, however, lunch is required, so I would have had to give up one of my languages, band, or electives. Also, it is now a requirement that students must take one year of chemistry, and one year of biology. As I knew in high school that I wanted to study engineering, biology is of little consequence to me, however, the ability to take both AP physics and AP chemistry was of great consequence, as it allowed me to earn 16 credits while still in high school. With the current system, it would be all but impossible to take both AP chem and physics. Also, to my knowledge, wood shop and small engines are no longer offered by the school.

Also, my junior year, the state was considering making biology a mandatory subject for all students and having a science portion of the HSPA to test biology. My class was selected to be the class to test the test, and me, despite not having had biology since the 7th grade and even then, it was only half a year, somehow managed to score Advanced Proficient.

Education today is about unions, teachers pushing their political agendas, and teaching the students to pass proficiency tests.

Unfortunately, you are correct. And it's not funny.

As of this week ( and it is going to change soon)we never have our firearms in plain view of our 5 1/2 year old. For right now. Why ? I am afraid she will say what is that , I will have to tell her , and then she will mention it in school and it will cause issues. I have ZERO problems telling a teacher that gun ownership and shooting is a family hobby and all our guns are kept safely and that our children will be allowed to participate if they are interested , thank you very much. Unfortunately though , I feel it will be my daughter who will have to pay the price of that particular battle when her friends are not allowed over our house or something.

Then , that video of the father blasting his daughter's laptop with his gun was circulating. And I was shocked to see the overwhelming amount of approval by the parents in our community. Nobody mentioned anything about keeping guns . I was stunned , and a bit relieved. A few other moms I knew also reacted positively to the woman who shot the home invaders in Oklahoma..they mentioned maybe wanting to arm themselves as well. Nobody here in this small liberal town mentioned the mixture of kids in the house and guns in either story. I was pretty surprised and glad.

Maybe times are changing ? That would be nice. Maybe they are finally realizing that the gun laws do zero for the crime rate .

I plan to enroll my daughter in the next NRA class for ages 5 to 8 ( they ran one a few months ago ) . She 'll be getting a .22 rifle if she is interested...maybe as early as next year. I guess I'll just have to deal with any fallout. After she does her safety and intro course I will not be hiding anything from her.Ultimately having to hide it from her so that she does not say anything in school is just wrong. We're allowed to have guns in the family , period.

See my siggy pic? That is how my 3 year old dressed for Halloween , and he went to PreK like that. Now , common sense ( or sensitivity to current issues) I did not send him in with the toy gun. But , his plastic bullet belt and plastic bullets were taken off him when he got to class. They sent them home with a note highlighting the school's toy gun policy which basically said no toy guns ( understood) , but also said no toy bullets , holsters , grenades , etc. Oops.I can understand them not wanting a toy gun..but the ammo belt was banned because of what it represented. That kind of annoyed me..I dressed him as a soldier. We have a lot of young men in town that are in Iraq and Afghanistan right now. I dressed him as a soldier because I respect soldiers .

I don't know , and truth is I am not sure how I am going to handle things going forward. Even thought the circle of mothers I know were not all anti gun over recent high profile cases , they still forbid their children to play with any kinds of toy weapons .

I don't have a love of toy guns either , though I do not ban them ( obviously- I got one for my sons costume). Quite frankly I would rather see them use their imagination and their finger or a stick as their gun..mostly because I want them to have noting but respect for the real thing which in my house the intro will come early and safely.

I do think it is funny when anti gun parents ban any toy guns , gun talk , or anything like that in the house , then are confused when their little boys make guns out of sticks or kitchen utensils . Boys in particular like to play guns.

In OP's case , I would go in and talk to the teacher , find out exactly what my son said , and politely set things straight if need be. If my son did say something inappropriate like " I'll get my gun " or something like I would have a talk with him about gun ownership responsibility and about setting good examples as gun owners in how we conduct ourselves. I think your average kid will need a reminder talk here and there.

Good luck , hope it goes smoothly for you!

• Like 1