pjsang24

Beretta 92FS or Taurus PT92

When my new permit comes in I am going to be purchasing my 2nd 9mm. I am torn between either the Beretta 92FS (or M9) and the Taurus PT92. After doing some research I am finding that some people think the Taurus is better for various reasons and others think that it is not as high quality as the Beretta. I am finding mostly people are saying the blue finish on the Taurus wears off rather quickly... I need help!! Someone with knowledge of both tell me which route I should go the price difference between the two is not huge.

You are going to get a lot of people who say the taurus is a knockoff of the beretta so you should just get the beretta. A lot of people knock Taurus for being cheap but I personally like mine and have had no issues. I know the safeties are in a different spot on the two guns but other than this I don't own a 92 or Taurus variant so my opinion is not really worth much

Ok here is the deal the way I see it.

The story goes that Beretta had a factory in Brazil that made the M9 for the military. When that pistol fell out of favor/contract, Beretta left all of their tooling in the factory and Taurus bought the whole kit and kaboodle and started to produce their own variation.

The issue is that, at the end of the day, you still have a taurus. Some love their Tauruses (tauri?), some hate them, I fall somewhere between. They seem to make an OK weapon, but I think Id rather have the real deal if the prices are somewhat comprable.

The Beretta brand should provide you with a higher resale value later, even if you don't believe in the brand yourself. You probably won't own many pistols, so you would want the best & not the cheapest. If you believe Taurus is better functionally and/or asethetically pleasing, then get it.

I've owned both pistols and from my experiencing the Taurus (PT 92) is a solid weapon for the price point. However, the blue does ware especially around the muzzle area, the safety, feels a little awkward and flimsy. I sold the Taurus after having it for 3 years (300 - 500 rounds) but I do still own the Beretta (92F). If you wanna save a couple of bucks look for the Beretta American Made 92F police package deal (pistol and 3 mags) for $499. Good luck.

The Beretta is not that much more from what I've seen, but I guess that depends on your budget.

For me I'd rather have the Beretta name for a couple hundred dollars more. I have nothing against

Taurus as I've never handled one and I'm sure they work fine. I just like having the original maker

of the model.

I have a PT99AF (92 with adj sights) for almost 25 years with maybe 25k rds through with zero problems. That answers the durability question. When I bought the Taurus it was about half the price and more accurate than the Beretta. The accuracy is not only my assessment. Jim Cirillo said it was the only out of the box 9mm at that time (1988-89) he could do consistent head shots at 50 yds with and I witnessed him doing it. One of the big gun magazines also ran a comparison test of the two a bit later and found the Taurus more accurate. This was all almost 25 years ago. I carried the Taurus concealed as a duty gun for about 5 years. Taurus 92s never had the slide separation issues Beretta did.

I used the Beretta in the military for about 15 years. I can't really say one is any better than the other. I would lean toward the Taurus based on my experience. I think you should assess the features of each and go with the one you find more to your liking.

The Taurus and 1K rounds of 9mm ammo for less then the Beretta. Shoot all of it...

The beretta is prettier... the taurus works better MAINLY because of the safety allows cocked and locked carry.

It is a great first gun that you will have for a long time, because it was such a cheap investment. The Taurus PT92s are very underated large frame handguns.

The PT92 is arguably, but probably the best firearm that Taurus makes. Although the Model 66 revolver is pretty nice, too.

I would get whichever I could pickup used in mint condition at a good price.

I have a Beretta 92FS (and a 96FS), never shot the Taurus version. My question is this: Why a second 9mm? What will you use it for? I have seen some of the guys at my local club getting 1911 guns chambered in 9mm, that I really like.

Ok here is the deal the way I see it.

The story goes that Beretta had a factory in Brazil that made the M9 for the military. When that pistol fell out of favor/contract, Beretta left all of their tooling in the factory and Taurus bought the whole kit and kaboodle and started to produce their own variation.

The 92 didn't fall out of contract or favor. In fact, the military keeps ordering them and they are as popular as ever. I believe you are thinking of the Beretta Cougar which is now the Stoegar Cougar.

Anyway, if price is not an issue get the Beretta 92. I prefer the M9 variant myself, just because of the straight dust cover.

I got enough trouble taking apart my 45 acp. why in the world would anyone want a 9mm 1911....

1911's are easy to field strip but that aside, 9mm 1911 while to some is Taboo, they do serve a purpose. Cheaper to shoot, also for USPSA while you score Minor PF, you can have 10 rounds in the Mag, unlike .45 and Major PF where you are limited to 8.

Heck I have a 1911 in 22LR and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot.

My S/A 1911 is easy to take apart in the field, no tools needed. My Sig 1911-22, that isn't so easy, need a hex wrench to take the slide off, but is still an easy to gun to take apart.

Get a 9mm revolver, that would be interesting and nothing to take apart to clean!

I have a S&W 610 which shoot 10mm or .40S&W, neither which is a revolver round. There are odd-ball guns out there.

Another vote for "get both". My first 9mm was the 92FS Inox. The Taurus is on the list too. I won't get the stainless, I just like the idea of having another version, using the same mags, but a bit different in finsh and the safety is the older design on the frame instead of on the slide.

If you can only get one, the comment about a Taurs and a case of ammo for the same price as the Beretta makes sense.

Just my $.02

I think the Taurus has a slightly larger grip than the Beretta, which is also of a nice size and heft. If you have medium/small hands, then get the Beretta over the Taurus. The Beretta also has a lot of aftermarket parts, etc. as the military uses it. If you get a Beretta, then get the 92A1, or M9A1 (which I believe comes with 15-round magazines), which has a rail could be useful, but the removable front sight is a big plus if you want to upgrade to night sights, etc.. Still, the stainless Taurus is very nice, and a good value for the money, and the Taurus can be carried cocked and locked.

Personally, I would at least check out a CZ 75B, especially the single-action or brushed stainless, especially if I could get a Limited one, or maybe an Armalite AR-24 or a MRI Baby Eagle II full-size or semi-compact, but an M9A1 would be pretty sweet. You may also want to check out a Hi-Power.

Couple things - this is an old thread that was necroposted up so I think the OP made a decision already.

2nd thing: Mags. You have to get Taurus mags or get Beretta mags that are modified to work in Taurus. However, Beretta mags are cheap and plentiful....

Nothing wrong with adding to an old thread if someone searching can benefit from it...assuming that said member actually uses the search function.

I gave a serious look at both, and in the end I purchased a Beretta 92SF-M9. The M9 came home with me because it felt better in my hand, I liked the stacked sights and, as much as I hate to admit this, I was sold on the Beretta name.

You can't go wrong with either. We all purchased for our own reasons.