woodentoe

Give me the straight dope on these guns.

I've narrowed down my next purchase. Please give me pros and cons. I'm trying to keep to AROUND 500.00 more or less.

Cz75 or 85(prefer 85 as I'm a lefty)

Fns-9

M9 or the Taurus copy. Please give pros and cons between the two.

Or a used, If I can find, S&W steel frame 9mm like a 5906

I'd prefer a full size steel frame 9mm.

All input would be appreciated. I'm hoping to buy this weekend.

I've narrowed down my next purchase. Please give me pros and cons. I'm trying to keep to AROUND 500.00 more or less.

Cz75 or 85(prefer 85 as I'm a lefty)

Fns-9

Or a used, If I can find, S&W steel frame 9mm like a 5906

I'd prefer a full size steel frame 9mm.

All input would be appreciated. I'm hoping to buy this weekend.

As an new owner of the CZ75b, I can't recommend it enough, without getting into too many specifics and specs,which I would hope you've researched beforehand,It feels,looks and shoots great,will cycle just about anything and is priced quite reasonably.

I'm sure others will elaborate but for me it just felt right from the moment I held and fired one.

I'm definitely leaning towards the cz75. I am a lefty and would like an ambi safety/mag release if poss.

The fns9 is full ambi

The beretta and Taurus have ambi safety

Can the right side safety be added to the cz75 aftermarket? That's what I'm wondering.

Taurus 92B has a frame mounted safety, compared to the Slide mounted safety on the Beretta M9. However, Beretta mags are a lot easier and cheaper to get ahold of. Taurus has proprietary mags. You can potentially modify Beretta mags to fit, but I'm not sure how well that will work.

want a stainless frame 9mm? try a sig p226, p229 elite SS, a 1911 9mm (s&w or springfield loaded)

92fs is okay too but it's an alloy frame.

I initially liked the CZ but with no decocker I'm not going to blow a hole in the ceiling any time soon. (I own a revolver & know how to manual decock)

The CZs with "D" decocker are hard to find.

want a stainless frame 9mm? try a sig p226, p229, p220 elite SS, a 1911 9mm (s&w or springfield loaded)

92fs is okay too but it's an alloy frame.

I initially liked the CZ but with no decocker I'm not going to blow a hole in the ceiling any time soon. (I own a revolver & know how to manual decock)

The CZs with "D" decocker are hard to find.

The CZ 75 D PCR has a decocker. That may be my second buy for next month.

I have a recent M9A1, purchased at the Rahway FAGs. I've now shot close to 1500 rounds, and I'm thinking about cleaning it soon. Not a single (absolutely 0) failure of any kind. Using Magtech and WWB ammo. The gun is fantastic. Maybe a little heavy for some people, but it feels great in my hands.

Between my PCR and my CZ-75B full size, I much prefer the full size. The decocker is unnecessary, since the CZ-75B decocks to half-cock anyway, and it's very tactile when you do it. You'd have to be trying to get it to ND for it to discharge.

I also rest my right thumb on the safety when shooting, but the ergonomics of the decocker make it a bit uncomfortable to do so with the PCR - I have to tuck my thumb joint beneath the ridged end of the lever instead of just resting it on top as I do with the safety.

My 75B trigger is also a lot smoother than the somewhat gritty PCR trigger, but that might just be because the 75B has seen many more rounds.

You will perform best with the handgun that fits your hand. The more it doesn't, the more your performance will be suboptimal. If you've got very big hands and try and shoot a handgun with a narrow/ small grip, you may find difficulty with holding on to it, getting too much finger on the trigger, slide bite and so on. If you have little girly hands like yours truly, a large double stack full sized handgun can have just the opposite effects. Gripping the pistol may be difficult, as will functioning the levers, or reaching the trigger. It often leads to the shooter having to cant the weapon off center in the hand in order to gain the reach. The off axis hold results in magnified recoil, even for lesser calibers, and will negatively impact the shooters abiltiy to deliver fast accurate repeatable hits.

When you grasp the handgun with the butt settled in to the middle of the web of your hand, it should extend in a straight line, the slide carrying on the same plane as your forearm, like a continuation of same. All controls of the given design should be easily reached by the intended fingers without moving or repositioning the pistol. If you need to cant the pistol to reach the controls, it doesn't fit your hand properly. If it feels like your fingers need and extra joint to reach back to a lever, it doesn't fit you. If it feels like you need another inch or two on your fingers, you guessed it...it doesn't fit you.

As to Smith and Wesson handguns, I've owned in no particular order, a 4506, 4046, 4043, 5906, and a few other models over the years. I've also been a Firearms Instructor for my department for about a dozen years, and we previously carried 4046s. They are heavy for design and caliber; lack capacity compared to similar models from other manufactures; and aren't unfailingly reliable, which is really the first requirement for a defense weapon. I have networked with other departments' Firearms Instructors to learn that ours was not a special cicumstance, and many folks had issues with thier S&W semiatuos. the M&P seems to be the only pistol they've produced that hasn't been a PIA, or POS, or both...

Between my PCR and my CZ-75B full size, I much prefer the full size. The decocker is unnecessary, since the CZ-75B decocks to half-cock anyway, and it's very tactile when you do it. You'd have to be trying to get it to ND for it to discharge.

The hammer on a CZ is not like a hammer on a revolver, where your thumb has a lot of real estate (on a revolver).

You may be confident of your own skill set but would you really recommend this to a novice?

The hammer on a CZ is not like a hammer on a revolver, where your thumb has a lot of real estate (on a revolver).

You may be confident of your own skill set but would you really recommend this to a novice?

If you are concerned about decocking a safety-only CZ, then use the two handed method, pinching the hammer with the weak-hand thumb on the hammer face. Even if you somehow mess up and let the hammer slip, it will pinch your thumb between the hammer and back of the slide.

I would hope that any novice to firearms would take the time to learn about whatever firearm they choose.

Personally, though, I think it is silly to buy a decocker only handgun solely on the basis that you are afraid you may get a ND when trying to decock. Unless it is a carry or HD handgun, how often would you use the decocker function anyway? At the very least, having a safety instead gives you two options - cocked and locked or decocked.

I will be carrying my future PCR, thus I wanted the decocker version so I can carry DA/SA after. I feel this is the safest method of carrying for me. I do not feel that carrying cocked and locked is necesarilly dangerous, just not quite as safe for me.

I wanted to clarify. Not carrying in New Jersey. I travel alot.

Personally did not like the way the fans felt, your only real choices imo are the 92 and cz, no experience on the cz but have been considering it, and I know we are supposed to be helping to decide but one more suggestion isnt't gonna hurt. Have you checked out the baby eagle in 9. Steel gun and about the same price point As the 92 and cz. From what I hear they are pretty good.