johnp

What state would you like to move to?

So true, after I got back from snowboarding out west boarding here is just not as enjoyable as it used to be.

When is the last time you went skiing in waist deep fluffy powder??

Yes I grew up skiing in NJ, NY and PA, but skiing out in Utah, Wyoming, Colorado I can't ski back here anymore.

PA. Possibly Milford area. Something close to the water gap, and isnt Stroudsburg.

Why? Its the closest thing (geographically and metaphorically) to rural Jersey without being... New Jersey.

I love NJ for the most part, sans the overcrowding, communism, cost of living, and people that try to kill me on 280 and 287. I would buy 10+ acres and a nice house in a rural part of Jersey, but the prices of that is just offensive. If I were to move to the Milford area I could reap most of the benefits of living here, while CCW'ing and not paying an absurd amount of taxes. I can't give up the cheap gas, close proximity to the beach, closeness to family, and the like. I'll just have to bribe a few of my friends to buy me fireworks.

My property is 45-50 minutes northeast of Keene. In a town called Warner. I'm 10 minutes or so from the southern end of Lake Sunapee.

Last season I was so busy in the snowy winter here that I never made it up there. I heard there was about 10-12 feet of snow on the ground at my place.

Embrace the snow I'm not scared.

NH has No state income tax either. For us it's the location we think we want. I'll never really know till I commit 100%.

NH over VT simply for my wife. NH has a coast -- It's small, only like 15 miles of oceanfront, but it's beaches nonetheless. I also have family in southern NH.

There's just a feel when we get there -- That live free or die attitude does show... Mostly.

As for work -- I'll figure it out. My land is paid for. We're certainly not rolling in $$$ but when we leave here we should go with enough cash to build and survive for awhile.

I'll make money. Our area is certainly not desolate. I've never been unemployed and I just don't see it happening once I'm there.

How much do you really need with no mortgage and reasonable property taxes?

Very cool! I have extended family who own property in Alstead. We go up there every July. I absolutely love it.

@302W...Me and a close friend are looking at a BUG out piece of property just outside Milford. They have decent lots along Rte 4 right near some serious state land. Prices are running about $4 to $5 per acre now of undeveloped land. Not looking to live there full time, but, it is close enough to NJ if you can tele-commute if things go south real fast.

That is even cheaper than here! Way out in the country here in Kentucky going price is $1500 to $2000 per acre...Unless one buys like 100 acres or more...

Well I guess it depends what the land could be used for. I don't know much about Kentucky but isn't horse breeding and equestrian stuff real big in the Northern Part? So it probably attracts a $$$ crowd.

@302W...Me and a close friend are looking at a BUG out piece of property just outside Milford. They have decent lots along Rte 4 right near some serious state land. Prices are running about $4 to $5 per acre now of undeveloped land. Not looking to live there full time, but, it is close enough to NJ if you can tele-commute if things go south real fast.

That is a nice price, even if it is $400-$500 and not $4-$5 lol.

Truth is, I won't be moving/buying land any time soon. I would love to drop $5k on 10 acres right now, but that is something I cant really do (I am a student at the moment).

Funny part is... my grandfather had lived in Conashaugh (If that is spelled right) Lakes in Milford and had passed away a few years back. It was a gated community that I really didn't like (dumb rules/dues) but certainly was in the sticks. My parents had sold his 3 bedroom/two bath/two car garage ranch for something like $114,000 that was sitting on around 1.25 acres.

Holy crap. You could get like ten times that much land in a few states out west for that kind of money. What the eff?

You can buy 80 acres in Wyoming for under $30,000 that is not a misprint

http://www.acreage4less.com/listing.htm#_1_1a

80 acres in Kentucky way out in the country costs $108,000

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/80_acres_in_Grayson_County_Kentucky-370758/

Yea, nothing like having land you can't drive to when it hits the fan, enjoy on weekends, weekday hunting trips, put a 10 car garage on for a future business, etc.

How's the economy in those parts of Wyoming or Kentucky? Need to work in NJ/NY area to pay bills.

Iowa. Our Son is there now. It took all of four days for his hand gun permit to acquire to arrive in his mailbox. A simple two-sided form with about 7 questions, and a copy of his DL is all it took!

Nice country about 45 minutes outside of the capital of Des Moines. Plenty of hunting and fishing. Cost of living is a lot less than here: 800 Sq. Ft. 2-Bedroom Apt. for $485 a month! Milk and beef a lot less than here! Everybody owns guns and leaves the doors unlocked. And the people are just so nice, even to outsiders!

A free Range about 20 minutes from town....just pull off of the road and shoot! A brand-new DNR Range less than an hour away for shotgun-pistol-rifle, complete with a store attached to sell ammo, birds, and other acc's! And only $8 per hour at this state-of-the-art facility!

NIRVANA!

The very existence of this forum is a paradox. It's geographically based - yet all the members hate their location. Hahahaha

Now that's not only funny, it's become my moment of zen for the day...Thank you.

so far I honestly like PA.. close enough to visit those in NJ.. but far enough away not to deal with NJ.. lol

Exactly. My wife and I are always talking about moving to Pa. We were in carlisle last weekend for the ford show and I was actually talking to the locals about it.

Points that are important to me and my partner on this venture.

Can you commute to work if you need too?

Can the property be zoned for a 'commerical business' if you desire in the future?

Can you check in on the property during the week and still be at work the next morning?

How well do you know the area?

Will you be considered and outsider, a damn Yankee, or friggin Joisey Guy?

Will your dialect automatically scream 'not a local'?

Decent hospitals within a 30 minute drive?

Points that are important to me and my partner on this venture.

Can you commute to work if you need too?

Can the property be zoned for a 'commerical business' if you desire in the future?

Can you check in on the property during the week and still be at work the next morning?

How well do you know the area?

Will you be considered and outsider, a damn Yankee, or friggin Joisey Guy?

Will your dialect automatically scream 'not a local'?

Decent hospitals within a 30 minute drive?

Those two can easily be subverted by not giving a damn.