Got a question folks.

I am separating from my wife, moved out, to another township. Obviously I need to update my FID (address change).

Can they deny my application?

Deny it for what reason?

You will have to change your drivers license so both match up.

If you move to a new house/apartment, you should have utility bills, mortage/rent receipts to prove this is your current residence.

Be careful...... If she "claims" any kind of abuse, and tells them you have firearms..... you can lose them....

That's a big one. Be very careful with this. Any hint of harassment or violence and the police err on the side of caution. In a case of DV even if the charges are dropped police are protected. Officers are afforded more leniency in ases involving domestics.

I don't know what the new town is like. My town (Cherry Hill) requires spousal consent to get your FID. They don't just send a letter. They ask whether the spouse has any objections.

She could really hurt you by saying "no" and put you in a very strange legal limbo where you have your guns, but can't buy ammo or anything new. Make sure she knows how important your hobby is to you.

Best of luck with a negotiated settlement.

I don't know what the new town is like. My town (Cherry Hill) requires spousal consent to get your FID. They don't just send a letter. They ask whether the spouse has any objections.

What kind of bs is that?

thank you all for you help...

no, we are separating on a... lets say, frendly grounds... so far...

Friendly untill she wakes up one morning alone and decides that you re 100% at fault and the worst thing that happened to her.....................start filling out COE's.........you figure out the rest.......

Seems like you've gotten good info so far. I would say that I hope your lawyer advised you about moving out. I remember years ago when my parents divorced, the lawyers talking about it being abandonment when one oved out...good luck either way.

What kind of bs is that?

Mayor Susan Bass Levin started it. I suppose the theory was that it would help reduce domestic violence or something to that effect. We all know the real reason. Just another barrier.

Just watch your wife doesnt stick you with a retraining order out of spite. They use that as leverage for court.

Be careful...... If she "claims" any kind of abuse, and tells them you have firearms..... you can lose them....

yup and yup

Illegal added requirement.

Seems like you've gotten good info so far. I would say that I hope your lawyer advised you about moving out. I remember years ago when my parents divorced, the lawyers talking about it being abandonment when one oved out...good luck either way.

No such thing in NJ (anymore at least).

Speaking from experience, while your ex may be amicable and cooperative NOW, please do not underestimate the influence a lawyer may possibly have turning a seemingly straightforward and peaceful separation and divorce into a shitstorm.

Protect yourself and try to keep rhetoric to a minimum if not for the benefit of your shared property at least for your guns.

And good luck,a divorce is never easy on anyone but the lawyers.

Every time I read about one of these gun/divorce stories I wonder if I should start up a business just across the border in PA called "The Gun Locker". Get an FFL, have a small range so it's a "legitimate" destination, and then rent out gun safes for safekeeping/custody of NJ firearms until divorce/domestic violence issues get resolved and the owners are no longer at risk of confiscation. Maybe call it long term repair/cleaning?

Speaking from experience, while your ex may be amicable and cooperative NOW, please do not underestimate the influence a lawyer may possibly have turning a seemingly straightforward and peaceful separation and divorce into a shitstorm.

Protect yourself and try to keep rhetoric to a minimum if not for the benefit of your shared property at least for your guns.

+ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Let me tell you.I just settled my divorce today. Not finalized. Lawyers thrive on creating a s--t storm. My ex was fine until her lawyer started filling paperwork. Then all hell broke lose. Some 11 months later we basically settled for a touch more then I offered on day one.

But we had a child involved.This child had some aadjustment issues. I mentioned(via text) a few things that might ease the issues.

Next thing I know my lawyers calling me saying I upset my ex and she feels harassedI was told that I should drop my argument ASAP as I could count on losing my firearms. And I cant change behavior(hers). So I have to sit down and watch the train wreck in slow motion.

Dont know how long you were married but NJ specializes sticking it to men. Lucky mine was a short one so no lifetime alimony.

A word to the wise watch the texts and emails .Even the most trivial could be used against you. I never would have thought this before but I just lived it.

Let me tell you.I just settled my divorce today. Not finalized. Lawyers thrive on creating a s--t storm. My ex was fine until her lawyer started filling paperwork. Then all hell broke lose. Some 11 months later we basically settled for a touch more then I offered on day one.

But we had a child involved.This child had some aadjustment issues. I mentioned(via text) a few things that might ease the issues.

Next thing I know my lawyers calling me saying I upset my ex and she feels harassedI was told that I should drop my argument ASAP as I could count on losing my firearms. And I cant change behavior(hers). So I have to sit down and watch the train wreck in slow motion.

Dont know how long you were married but NJ specializes sticking it to men. Lucky mine was a short one so no lifetime alimony.

A word to the wise watch the texts and emails .Even the most trivial could be used against you. I never would have thought this before but I just lived it.

When I saw where my otherwise amicable divorce was heading I basically walked away from a 2 family house and car with my clothes,knife roll and pans.In retrospect it was worth it just not having to deal with the courts and lawyers who would have given it to her anyway and then handed me the bill for their services......