My son just bought a place in PA and I spent this week helping him fix it up. Yesterday, one of the neighbors came over to introduce herself. During the conversation she mentioned that the deer had eaten her flowers again the day before. We have seen deer up on our hill every day this week. Then she said that "they let two hunters bow hunt on the back property and would we mind letting them continue the practicex. My son said he didn't care but he would have to run it by his wife. I KNOW she is going to say NO! So the question is, if we go up and put POSTED - NO HUNTING signs on our property, is that all we have to do to keep them out?

I am not a hunter but I am not anti hunting either. I just don't want some stranger hunting in our back yard!

7181849657_1019def57d_c.jpg

If I were you, I'd ask to meet with the hunters first. If they seem like stand-up individuals, allow them to hunt on the property, but feel free to request that certain conditions be met(contact you before hunting on the property, require them to take the gut piles with them, etc).

I agree with Blue. I would not let strangers bow hunt on my property and I wouldn't want the potential insurance nightmare, etc.

You can make them sign a contract. Put in there the times when they can hunt, to make sure they remove all tree stands and gut piles, etc etc. Make sure that in the contact you put boundary's on were they can hunt maybe tape off areas you wish they don't go into. Also you want that only they can hunt the area not a whole crew. And the two most important things you cannot be charged with any injury claims they hunt and use you property at there own risk, two make sure you charge them for property rental. If they were the hunt anywhere else they would have to pay. Also follow what jon had to say too.

Jon, we don't know who the hunters are yet, but we will have to find out before hunting season to make sure they know we do not want them on our property! Gut piles? Tree stands? Insurance liability? We hadn't even considered any of that before? Thank you for increasing our resolve to keep these people out!

If you are set on keeping people off your property, put up "No Trespassing" signs. Pennsylvania code specifically states that signs be posted so as to be, "reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders." If that means every 50' of fence line or property boundary, so be it. Police at both the state and local level can and will enforce the various trespass laws in PA.

Pennsylvania Game Commission officers do not have the authority to enforce trespassing laws, but will assist the local police in any investigation.

Just keep in mind that the "safety zone" for bowhunters is 50 yards from "any occupied residence, camp, industrial or commercial building, farm house or farm building, or school or playground." To legally hunt within that confine requires the permission of the occupants. Keep in mind that a bowhunter can sit on the edge of your son's property line and legally hunt into his neighbor's property so long as he/she is 50 yards away from any dwelling.

PS - A "No Hunting" sign is simply an invite to trespass.

Make sure you keep their contact info handy for when your son's plants get decimated by the deer...

If you are set on keeping people off your property, put up "No Trespassing" signs. Pennsylvania code specifically states that signs be posted so as to be, "reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders." If that means every 50' of fence line or property boundary, so be it. Police at both the state and local level can and will enforce the various trespass laws in PA.

Pennsylvania Game Commission officers do not have the authority to enforce trespassing laws, but will assist the local police in any investigation.

PS - A "No Hunting" sign is simply an invite to trespass.

Make sure you keep their contact info handy for when your son's plants get decimated by the deer...

Not a problem Jon, the lawn area is altready fenced in, the "natural" back yard goes up a big hill and they can eat anything they want. Yesterday we had a couple of deer come down to the stream that runs just behind the fence. If we ever decided to allow anyone to hunt there, I would post up here and I am sure I could get a couple of guys.

Parker, thanks for ansewring the opriginal question. It's only 1.5 acre so it should not be too hard to post no trespassing signs.

As a reference, in Maine there are very few property owners that post signs on their property to keep out hunters. For hunting purposes, all land is free to use. It is courteous to ask the property owner if you would like to hunt it.

IMO, buying land then posting no trespassing signs is a NJ anti-hunting mentality and is frowned upon here in the south.

As a reference, in Maine there are very few property owners that post signs on their property to keep out hunters. For hunting purposes, all land is free to use. It is courteous to ask the property owner if you would like to hunt it.

IMO, buying land then posting no trespassing signs is a NJ anti-hunting mentality and is frowned upon here in the south.

And in rural PA

+1, It does seem a bit "city-like and North" to move to a rural area and post signs before getting to know your neighbors.

Yeah Frank, it disgusts me too. I ask a simple question and all I get are opinions. Did anyone read the original post? Is is not the neighbor (they are snowbirds and will be in Florida during hunting season), it is just some guys somebody knows that comes in and shoots deer. Nobody is asking for an opinion here?

To clairify a little, this is not a farm country house. It is in Concord, just blocks from schools, shopping malls, highways and restaurants. It just happens to be in an upscale area where all the lots are ~1.5 acres, so there is a bit of land. If you can afford to plop down almost half a mil for a place, I think you have the right to not allow some stranger tramp it all up, At any rate, the question was answered so I am done with this thread.

"So the question is, if we go up and put POSTED - NO HUNTING signs on our property, is that all we have to do to keep them out?"

Signs will only keep out honest people. Try barbed wire fencing. :maninlove:

I am a hunter and in our area neighbors don't post other neighbors property lines. They post the road frontage only. Many years ago a newb bought the field behind my fathers field and built a house on it. She feed the deer and put no hunting signs on OUR fence posts! I promptly tore them all down!

As I said I am a hunter but I do respect others property. In John's case I fully understand if his son as the owner of the property doesn't want someone on it, whatever his reasons. I agree that the signs would probably not work and I would try to contact the people directly to let them know.

+1

If my home was adjacent to land that was huntable where I could look out my back window to see some guy stalking my property line, I would first engage my neighbors via social interaction or those who have a desire to hunt near my home, judge their character and then make a determination. Don't assume that others have the same value system, ethics or principals as you when it comes to hunting or safety with firearms.

No hunting signs are REQUIRED by the state of NJ. Land owners MUST post or no tresspassing laws cannot be enforced. ( dont make sense,remember its NJ). Now in PA its different. But even with signs permission can be given to hunters. Also you could ask that they not hunt but let them retrive any downed game that dies on your side of the property line, hunt the edge. Also if you think about it you want hunters to have ther back towards your house shooting away from it. Safer to let them be on your place shooting into the other.

Yea everyone that moves out here thinks the deer are pretty and dont want them shot. Then they eat all the flowers and bushes they plant, and run into a couple with their car, and suddenly their all for deer hunting.

Post it. speak with hunters in question. it may start a great friendship or they may be 2 morons. as already said if these hunters need YOUR 1.5 acres to be successful than they arent sportsman in my book. get to know them personally and if you trust them in the future than work out an agreement. I wouldnt let strangers on my property to hunt, fish, fart, hike, etc.

Are you occupying the property year round or is this a second home? I have seen hunters here in NJ go out and pull down posted signs on private land right before deer season. As mentioned before, signs will only work with honest people.

If the neighbors hunters baby sit the land next to yours, there's a decent chance they bait which means the deer will probably go into the pile twice a day, and the hunters will never have to set foot on your property.