chumo00

22 revolver for home defense?

TheMostInterestingManInTheWorld_1426.jpg

................................... no

lol sorry had to... but i agree with above... better then nothing.. if your looking for cheap.. then maybe consider a small 9mm? i saw a ruger LC9 with laser for $329 7 round mag and 3" long brand new!

It's better than a sharp stick.

Seriously, though, I've read and believe that the defense caliber you should pick is the highest caliber round you can comfortably and consistently shoot well.

Your back on sight after shot very quick with a 22. It may take dumping a whole mag at the target, but if 10 of 10 are center mass as opposed to wildly shot .45ACP, what's better?

I'm comfortable to shoot .38 and 9mm comfortably and well enough within combat ranges that I feel good with having them as defense firearms.

Far from my first choice but if that's all I had I'd use. solids not hollowpoints. The extra penetration from solids is more beneficial than a hollowpoint that doesn't get deep enough to create damage. The solid will tend to tumble so the wound channel is not going to be like an ice pick wound. A 22 is easily deflected in the target by heavy muscle or bone. There's where the "killing power" comes from. A surgeon has to do more damage than the bullet has done just to get to it.

Yes there are one shot stops with a 22 but using at least a 38 or 9mm sure increases your chance of stopping a bad guy quite a bit.

The number one rule of a gunfight is to have a gun.

The .22 LR round is probably the best all-around do-anything cartridge on the planet.

If you are comfortable with the .22 then you have your answer. If the .22 is the only gun that you can use because you are recoil-sensitive, then you have your answer.

Fidel Castro started his revolution in Cuba with .22 Rifles. Ask Batista if they were effective. The Virginia Tech shooter used a .22 Walther P22 along with his Glock 19. Sadly, we know how that turned out.

IMHO, there are better calibers for HD. My biggest fear with .22 would be jams from faulty ammunition, but it should't be a problem if you use the quality stuff and stay away from the bulk packs.

I would suggest try a Simunitions training class (e.g. at GunForHire) where they can run you through defending against home invasions with a semi-auto and a revolver.

After the class you would likely end up favoring a semi-auto as your primary HD/SD firearm.

.22 can work in some circumstances however I would suggest 9mm with Hollow Points as a minimum. I personally wouldn't choose a .22 revolver unless I had no other choices left.

TheWombat

It's certainly better than nothing at all and if it's all you have, than use it. Many feel firm that it should never be used as a SD/HD weapon. I'm a true believer that if it's all you have, make sure you practice and practice with it, since shot placement will be critical. Hopefully you have something that will handle as close the legal NJ limit of 15-rounds per mag. I could see you actually needing all of those rounds for the case of an intruder in order to stop him from advancing. The highest capacity .22LR pistol that I own has 12-rounds. I'm more that sure that I could empty at least 4 or 5 of those rounds in someone's head and the remainder into center mass, considering you're at close range in a SD/HD situation. YMMV.

Have a 9mm for main weapon and an 8 shot 22 revolver. (For Wife) wasnt sure what ammo to get for 22 to boost the stopping power. Thought hollow points but guess just the planking ammo is fine?

Like I said, the only problem I have with using bulk plinking ammo is that the quality may be iffy. With self-defense ammo, all of the rounds have to work without fail. I would use match grade or High Velocity ammunition. Remington Thunderbolts come to mind. I would do a little more searching, but I am at work and most of those domains are blocked.

I had a friend of mine who lived in rural PA. The only gun he had was a Ruger 10/22 loaded with Remington Subsonic rounds which he kept to dispatch snakes and foxes who bothered his chickens. The rounds were subsonic since he often grabbed it at a moment's notice and a fox won't give you the time to put ear protection in. I'm sure it could have been used in a self-defense role quite effectively. My guess is that bad guys don't care what what caliber you have. All they see is a gun and that will make most criminals decide that they no longer want to be around.

I would use match grade or High Velocity ammunition. Remington Thunderbolts come to mind.

To clarify on this, I think mcbethr is giving an example of cheap plinking ammo that shouldn't be used for SD, not high velocity match grade as the posts above would suggest. Thunderbolt is practically garbage.

Have a 9mm for main weapon and an 8 shot 22 revolver. (For Wife) wasnt sure what ammo to get for 22 to boost the stopping power. Thought hollow points but guess just the planking ammo is fine?

I agree with all that has been said. Of course you already have this revolver ( it seems) so it is kind of a mute point, but a .38 special doesn't have all that much more recoil that an .22. .380 auto is pretty light as well.

There is more recoil but it is still managable.

I agree with all that has been said. Of course you already have this revolver ( it seems) so it is kind of a mute point, but a .38 special doesn't have all that much more recoil that an .22. .380 auto is pretty light as well.

There is more recoil but it is still manageable.

Not to start a pissing contest or anything, however I find this statement to be false if you equate "much more recoil" to "noticeable recoil". The only reason I bring this up is because I do know of some folks, due to various reasons, that can and do handle a .22 handgun just fine, however the .38-special definitely puts them over the edge as far as perceived recoil, overall accuracy and the ability to use the gun properly. I don't want folks walking away from this conversation thinking that if they're proficient with a .22 handgun that it automatically means they ever be able to master the same level of comfort with a 38-special. The majority of the folks will be fine with the transition after the learning curve. Some will not.

My guess is that bad guys don't care what what caliber you have. All they see is a gun and that will make most criminals decide that they no longer want to be around.

I watched a video that described the ballistic quality of all pistol grade ammo, and the disired effects it should have at stopping a person intent on causing you harm.

The jist was that not all criminals will be motivated by pain to stop. Some will, but others need to be physically prevented to stop, meaning the round must cause such catostrophic damage to the body that while the mind may want ot advance the body simply cannot respond. It's a good video and if I can find it again I'll link it.

I don't know enough about ballistics to say if a .22 would be a sufficient round, and given the choice God forbid I should I ever have to make it, I'd reach for my 9mm.

I don't want folks walking away from this conversation thinking that if they're proficient with a .22 handgun that it automatically means they ever be able to master the same level of comfort with a 38-special.

Um, thanks?

But if I am not clear, I would recommend to the OP that if you are concerned about the lethality of the .22 you might have her try a .380 or .38 spl and see if it isn't too hard on her - if you were thinking you might want to upgrade.

And I mean try as in before you buy, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great info...Yes my 9mm is my main choice but my wife will have the 22 revolver as a backup as well. Was wondering the best home defense ammo for the 22. (BTW I got Federal Classic hollow points in my 9mm or defense)

If it was all I had, I would absolutely use a .22 for self defense, and I would say that an 8-rd revolver is a better choice than a 10-round semi-auto. 22s have a very high failure rate, and with the revolver you can just keep pulling the trigger. I would use CCI Minimags if I were forced to use a .22.

.38 Specials hit way harder than a .22, no comparison. Maybe .38 Wadcutters, they are pretty tame. I'm talking about recoil, have no idea what kind of stopping-power any of them have, I just know what they all feel like to shoot.

I find .22 ammo to be finicky. If you want to use it for HD then buy good stuff for that. Don't rely on the bulk-stuff, especially in a semi-auto. I find the bulk stuff will give me no-fires from time to time in my revolver. Sometimes it takes two or three strikes to finally get the round off, just imagine what you'd be doing in a self-defense situation with a semi-auto that wasn't firing...............

.38 Specials hit way harder than a .22, no comparison. Maybe .38 Wadcutters, they are pretty tame. I'm talking about recoil, have no idea what kind of stopping-power any of them have, I just know what they all feel like to shoot.

I find .22 ammo to be finicky. If you want to use it for HD then buy good stuff for that. Don't rely on the bulk-stuff, especially in a semi-auto. I find the bulk stuff will give me no-fires from time to time in my revolver. Sometimes it takes two or three strikes to finally get the round off, just imagine what you'd be doing in a self-defense situation with a semi-auto that wasn't firing...............

Right. Now I think I might have sounded like I was insulting Nascar. I'm not.

I do think it is hard to find a good round for a .22. I always keep all guns loaded with defense ammo and that includes my Ruger Mk III. The thing about .22 ammo is that the only constant is that most would prefer you skip the hollow points for various reasons. I am not getting rid of that pistol on those grounds but any bullet that says skip hollow points make me think a little.

I bought a Walther PPK in .380 auto and I do not find that round very disturbing when shooting. With a modern polymer pistol in that caliber I think you could do very well. The Ruger LCP, for instance.

I also have a Ruger LCR, with stock polymer and rubber grips, in .357 magnum and it takes .38 special. That particular pistol is very good for felt recoil and you can put some serious HD rounds in it without feeling anything worse than a you would with a steel .22 revolver.

In the case of my wife, she is aware that range ammo and comfort over the course of a range trip are one thing, but personal defense is another. While the .22 is prefered for target shooting, she knows that she can't expect that level of long term ease and prefers to know that when its life and death she can deal with a little more snap. It isn't a hard sell tell tell her to take the Glock instead of the Mk III if we are talking about an intruder.

If you have followed the news at-all lately, a .22 handgun was used in two killings in New York. So, take it for what it's worth, and it's always said, a well-placed shot is what really matters! I also remember reading about a child that was killed by his brother (accidentally) with a single .22 shot to the eye.

I think ANY gun is good for Home Defense as long as the intruder is not on drugs. Most people are not going to stay and have a gun fight, they will scoot and find another house in another neighborhood or town after a shot or two ring-out. That's as long as it isn't a home-invasion type of thing and a "simple" robbery................

I would also bet that in the heat of the moment the sound, the muzzle flash, the re-coil will not be seen/felt/heard when you have the adrenalin flowing!

The Beretta Cheetah 22lr is on my list and I really want one. I had the chance a few months ago to buy an Beretta Model 70, and like an idiot I didnt jump on it. Here is a great article on the Israeli Mossad using 22lr.

http://www.tactical-...-mossad-22-lrs/