robot_hell

FBI Arrests Mayor of Trenton

Guess that recent report about NJ having the 3rd lowest corruption wasn't quite on the mark, was it?

He is charged with "conspiracy to corrupt commerce by extortion".

Granted, what he got caught for is probably the tip of the proverbial iceberg for your typical NJ politician, or any major metro politician in general. But at least the heat is coming down where it's due for a change. Can you imagine a raid on City Hall? O_O

From the article:

"The investigation revealed evidence of a conspiracy among these defendants and others to corrupt certain functions of Trenton City government in favor of purported developer seeking to build a parking garage on city-owned property in exchange for cash payments totaling approximately $119,000," the complaint says.

The investigation has been under way for at least two years, Woodruff said.

The arrest came less than two months after agents raided the homes of Mack, his brother and a campaign supporter, then raided Trenton's City Hall the next day.

http://www.cnn.com/2...+Most+Recent%29

No, he's not that bad, in newark. I keep hearing his name thrown around for governor or senator. I suppose he couldn't be any worse than lautenmummy but I would like to see Sweeney for gov. Lock him up for corruption, don't have to worry about him making his way to trenton.

Can it really be considered "cleaning up" the state if he's still allowed to serve as Trenton's mayor? :facepalm:

He is still legally innocent. So he can continue to "serve" until he is convicted--hopefully he cannot remain mayor after a conviction involving abuse of office.

I would like to see a law that would allow govt employees/elected officials to continue to serve if they are arrested, but would impose much stiffer penalties if they DO NOT step down and are ultimately convicted.

Guess that recent report about NJ having the 3rd lowest corruption wasn't quite on the mark, was it?

He is charged with "conspiracy to corrupt commerce by extortion".

Granted, what he got caught for is probably the tip of the proverbial iceberg for your typical NJ politician, or any major metro politician in general. But at least the heat is coming down where it's due for a change. Can you imagine a raid on City Hall? O_O

From the article:

"The investigation revealed evidence of a conspiracy among these defendants and others to corrupt certain functions of Trenton City government in favor of purported developer seeking to build a parking garage on city-owned property in exchange for cash payments totaling approximately $119,000," the complaint says.

The investigation has been under way for at least two years, Woodruff said.

The arrest came less than two months after agents raided the homes of Mack, his brother and a campaign supporter, then raided Trenton's City Hall the next day.

http://www.cnn.com/2...+Most+Recent%29

Let me guess. He turned down a bribe from a Chicago politician.

He is still legally innocent. So he can continue to "serve" until he is convicted--hopefully he cannot remain mayor after a conviction involving abuse of office.

I would like to see a law that would allow govt employees/elected officials to continue to serve if they are arrested, but would impose much stiffer penalties if they DO NOT step down and are ultimately convicted.

The problem with your idea is it would create a self incrimination situation.

And that would make them wrong as well.

Constitutional rights are not tied to partisan politics - they apply to all.

If only that were true, we wouldn't have any of the unconstitutional gun laws here in the Garden State...

I know what you are saying, and on a fundamental level, I agree with you. But you know damn well this case will drag on for years and even under indictment that Mayor Mack will get re-elected and then he'll get to keep his pension even if he is convicted.

Oh, but if this douchebag was a Republican, you can bet that every Democrat in the state would be calling for him to resign.

This guy is dumb enough that it crosses party lines. Anyone who is in the know of the situation wants him gone regardless of political affiliation. Unfortunately he is a puppet to Joseph Giorgianni, who I think is more guilty. It still takes 2 to tango though. We will see how it all shakes out.

Ken