302w

$18 Money Order to NJSP for P2P, WTF?

I called my towns detective regarding P2P's since I'm not in town monday thru friday and the officers on the weekends don't know if I can drop off forms or if the detectives need it. Turns out I can drop off the forms, but I need to give them an $18 money order to the state police for a "State Bureau of Identifications" check or some crap like that, form SB212A. What is this? Does everyone need to do this?

Luckily it should only take three weeks for the forms to come thru since they have my stuff on file, or so I am told. I don't blame the PD for this, but I am angry that I have to go through even more loopholes and pay even more money for my constitutional right.

We don't have constitutional rights in the Glorious PRNJ.

Yes, you owe the $18 to the SBI with every application, sad to say

When you drop off the paperwork on the weekend, you might consider sealing the envelope with Preparation H given the pain in the ass they've created.

Doesnt that mean you would have to buy a pistol the very 1st day you have your permit? Also typlically they are dated they day they are signed, not the day you pick them up, so you are already a few days behind. I figured 5 max would be about it with OGAM and extensions.

With six permits, you get to use 1 during each of the 6 months (180 days with renewal) that they are valid.

Now, if you had 7 permits (and no exemption) you'd have to use 1 the first day and stay on a strict 30 day schedule to use all 7 before they expire.

I called my towns detective regarding P2P's since I'm not in town monday thru friday and the officers on the weekends don't know if I can drop off forms or if the detectives need it. Turns out I can drop off the forms, but I need to give them an $18 money order to the state police for a "State Bureau of Identifications" check or some crap like that, form SB212A. What is this? Does everyone need to do this?

Luckily it should only take three weeks for the forms to come thru since they have my stuff on file, or so I am told. I don't blame the PD for this, but I am angry that I have to go through even more loopholes and pay even more money for my constitutional right.

It's been that way for a few years now..and it isnt just P2P''it's ALL transactions, Change of Address, Replace lost/Stolen Cards..EVERYTHING requires the NJSP background check, and the $18 Check/MO...THANKS GOV CORZINE

You don't HAVE to pay the $18. You can always pay Sagem Morpho $50 bucks a pop and get fingerprinted instead. ;)

I heard some PD's demand you get Sagem Morpho'd. That means you are stone-walled into paying $50 each time you go for permits?

The good thing about the NJ mess around HG's, I own way more than I ever wanted due to "have to use the permit before it expires even though I don't want another gun just at this momment". ;)

My local PD (Aberdeen/Matawan) only allows me to apply for 3 at a time since that is the amount you can use in 90 days.

They know they can extend it for 90 as well, but last time that's what they told me. I didn't argue. Funny enough the first

time I got 4. Yes, each time I have to pay the 18 as well.

My local PD (Aberdeen/Matawan) only allows me to apply for 3 at a time since that is the amount you can use in 90 days.

They know they can extend it for 90 as well, but last time that's what they told me. I didn't argue. Funny enough the first

time I got 4. Yes, each time I have to pay the 18 as well.

See the attached - bottom of Page 5 under "Miscellaneous"

NJSP Letter to Chiefs of Police 033010.pdf

See the attached - bottom of Page 5 under "Miscellaneous"

While i would still show this to the PD, i would be hesitant to apply for more then 3 permits other then to prove a point, only because it ends up being a waste IF they decline extensions. My PD has implemented a 3 permit rule, but i spoke with the detective, and he basically said if you come in and are sincere about getting more then 3 he wouldn't stop you, would help out with OGAM exemptions and would never decline an extension. He doesn't control the PD policies and he understands that its wrong, he said most people only apply for 3 but again, will not stop someone from apply for more, since the SP have directly said so. I found it odd, why bother with the policy, but he said it makes certain people feel good, but at the same time they don't really follow it. It's only an issue for people who don't understand the concept of having more then 3 permits, typically people who buy maybe 1 gun who it doesn't even impact.

Don't argue with your PD, it really gets you no where. Show them the law, if they comply, great, if not contact the NJ2AS.

While i would still show this the PD, i would be hesitant to apply for more then 3 permits other then to prove a point, only because it ends up being a waste IF they decline extensions.

Don't argue with your PD, it really gets you no where. Show them the law, if they comply, great, if not contact the NJ2AS.

You can always go for exemptions, it's cheaper and faster in the long run.

You can always go for exemptions, it's cheaper and faster in the long run.

Yeah i just added to my OP. Typically, i think they do the 3 permit rule because of OGAM exemptions and extensions.... they know what they are doing, and don't care.

I'm happy since the detective said it should take three weeks, according to him "they have all of the FID stuff on file so it makes P2P's a breeze".

My roomate has to get stuff through NJSP and it took them about three months.

no. i dont know what everyone else is talking about, because all ive ever paid is $2 for each permit. ive never, ever had to pay 18 for a background check, and i just got 2 permits that finally came in this august. cost me $4, nothing more

You're lucky then.. This went into effect around mid 2007 IIRC first time I encountered it was then. Before that, when I moved down here, it was just the $2 per permit, hell I got my new FID card on the spot when we moved here in 2003. When I bought my house in 2007 in the same town it took me 7 weeks for the new Card.

I was surprised to hear of a PD that did not require either fingerprinting or the completion of an SP-212A. I went searching through the statutes and came up with this under 2C:58-3e...

The chief police officer or the superintendent shall obtain the fingerprints of the applicant and shall have them compared with any and all records of fingerprints in the municipality and county in which the applicant resides and also the records of the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, provided that an applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonably satisfactory proof of his identity, need not be fingerprinted again; however, the chief police officer or the superintendent shall proceed to investigate the application to determine whether or not the applicant has become subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this chapter.

While it stipulates the applicant need not be fingerprinted again, it does not specifically direct that the SP-212A (non-criminal background check) form be used. Does not even specify that the investigating officer check with the NJSP SBI. Simply says that the applicant must be investigated to insure they have not become subject to any of the disqualifying aspects. If the CLEO is satisfied and willing to sign-off without the SP-212A, then you are GTG and no $18 charge. The use of the SP-212A is really a CYA move. In larger municipalities where the applicant may not actually be known to the CLEO it is circumspect to do it using the form. In small towns where everybody knows everybody and their business - not so much. The point is, the use of the SP212A is a means to an end (an investigation) but it is not required by statute.

Adios,

Pizza Bob