Barms

talk about non-gasoline generators.. Propane, nat gas..

everybody knows about the "whole house" natural gas ones that run $10k or $20k. Someone told me a smaller portable size natural gas generator is available? This would solve the gasoline issue, right?

If you had a natural gas line run for your grill could you just tap into that? Or propane generators?

andbody have any examples? Is this reasonable to look into?

If you had a natural gas line run for your grill could you just tap into that? Or propane generators?

Yes, you could tap into that. Running a gas line to the ouside of your house is very easy. You would need a 3/4" line. If you are not at all mechanically inclined, have someone do it for you. It should not cost much.

You can get an 12KW whole house nat gas generator installed for about $5,000-$6,000. Just not this month.

12kw = 12,000 watts or 100amps (50 amps x 2 legs) (12,000watts/120v= 100amps)

Lowes and home depot both offer Generac lpg systems with a home hook up kit in the 2500-3000 range for a basic kit. Its a 7000/8000 watt set up. An electrican and a plumber shouldn't cost ur more then another 500-600 if u know someone. Ill be ordering one online soon not a big fan of the bog box home improvement stores since i worked for one.

A really good friend of mine here in S.Jersey who owns his own electrical company installs these generators. I'm getting one with my tax return this coming year. He installs the Generac nat gas and propane generators. If I remember right I think he told me a 20kw whole house generator installed is about $6200. If anyone needs more info feel free to pm me. You really take electric for granted until its not there anymore. I only lost electric for about 12 hrs but that was enough to convince my wife that we need one of these.

Take a look at www.uscarburetion.com. They have been making very affordable conversion kits for years. I have the Type C Tri-Fuel kit installed on my 10hp Generac with Techumseh engine. Runs on gasoline, natural gas or propane. The unit was only $189 but I paid a licensed plumber $900 to run a 1" natural gas line 60' from the main to where I keep the portable unit in back of house. I have a quick connect fitting on a 10' gas line outside the house and I have endless power.

everybody knows about the "whole house" natural gas ones that run $10k or $20k. Someone told me a smaller portable size natural gas generator is available? This would solve the gasoline issue, right?

andbody have any examples? Is this reasonable to look into?

I posted in another thread NJGF thread here, you may find this helpful..

guys.. didnt want this thread to be about "whole house" units. And not about $2, $3,. or $4 thousand units.

I was hoping to hear about smaller portable units that were mini size.. 2k, 3k watts if they were availabe in propane or nat gas.

the goal here is not MORE POWER.. the goal is NEVER RUN OUT OF GAS.

I purchased a portable propane generator after Irene. Best thing ever after this damn storm. Clean burning. MUCH Quieter. I keep a stockpile of propane tanks which will never go bad (unlike gasoline). I burn through about 1lb of propane an hour.. and most people I found out are using gasoline, not propane, so I was able to ask friends and fam for their propane tanks for extra fuel.

My portable propane generator ran me $400 and produces 4000watts peak/3250 constant.

If you have questions, ask me.. More than glad to help answer question.

I purchased a portable propane generator after Irene. Best thing ever after this damn storm. Clean burning. MUCH Quieter. I keep a stockpile of propane tanks which will never go bad (unlike gasoline). I burn through about 1lb of propane an hour.. and most people I found out are using gasoline, not propane, so I was able to ask friends and fam for their propane tanks for extra fuel.

My portable propane generator ran me $400 and produces 4000watts peak/3250 constant.

If you have questions, ask me.. More than glad to help answer question.

Yeah, I have a question. Where did you get it? I could convince my wife that we should spend $400, but not the > $2K it would take for a full blown standby.

Yeah, I have a question. Where did you get it? I could convince my wife that we should spend $400, but not the > $2K it would take for a full blown standby.

Honestly? I bought it off of overstock.com when they had them on sale with FREE shipping (which amazed me because those things weigh a good 80 to 100lbs!).

I don't see it for sale on the site now- but they will have them again I'm sure.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/4000-watt-Propane-Generator/5986361/product.html

I've spent an hour researching online the products from US Carburetor.. there are dozens and dozens of positive feedback about their natural gas "bolt-ons" to ANY size generator..

so i'm thinking buying the 2k or 3k watt portable and adding the NG bolt on.. at least this way it comes with me whenever i move..

I'm going for the diesel unit. With all the natural gas line fires occurring, it make the reliability of the whole house ones quenstionable

The thing I have seen and this is with just a little bit of looking, but I have found that the NG ones I have seen can also hook up to LP, so there is a backup option for them, as I see it if NG was unavailable.

Lugnutz.. i won't buy a cheap chinese generator.. i will buy a Honda EU or Yamaha generator and then add the US Carburetor bolt on NG conversion..

there's are tons of videos and reviews of satisfied customrers..

Alot of the "affordable" propane generators have HORRIBLE reviews. They are cheap china made crap. The good ones are easily over $1000

Not sure if mine is the 'cheap chinese' crap, but I'll tell you, my neighbors were eyeing me down and my wife and her family were loving that we had electricity, a tv, hot water and a warm house while everyone else was blacked out. I'll happily give mine a 5 star rating for following through and running everything smoothly with no issues. :good:

I've spent an hour researching online the products from US Carburetor.. there are dozens and dozens of positive feedback about their natural gas "bolt-ons" to ANY size generator..

so i'm thinking buying the 2k or 3k watt portable and adding the NG bolt on.. at least this way it comes with me whenever i move..

I have the US Carburetion Type C bolt on kit - no drilling. I could not be happier. IM me if you have any questions

I have personally used modified gasoline ICEs fired by NG, propane, or even gasoline vapors for months at a time of continuous duty in many cases. Most of them were not being used as electricity generators and certainly not for home use. I know there are kits to turn gasoline ICE-generator combos into generator units that could use various gases or vapors and still use gasoline as well in some cases. I have no experience with them specifically but that is the advantage of the sparkplug gasoline ICE. Obviously, the advantages of diesel are changing to multiple liquid fuels.

I wanted to get a diesel generator but the good ones are more expensive and more rare in the residential power range. And, they suffer from obvious failure modes that gasoline engines do not unless you spend even more money or buy even larger units.

I let the perfect be the enemy of the good. But I finally broke down and got a gasoline generator this week. Now rethinking the hassles/advantages of diesel vs, the advantages of gasoline/gasses/vapors moving forward.

I'm eyeing a Briggs & Stratton 15Kw whole home LPG/NG systems right now. I may pull the trigger in the spring after hysteria dies down.

I thought about using my 275gal home heating oil tank (aka diesel) as a fuel storage option for a 7-10Kw diesel generator, but after researching I think the hassle of caring for long term diesel storage isn't worth it. If I decide "off-grid" options, I would go with a LPG gen and 100gal LPG tank. LPG stores pretty much indefinitely, plus I can use it to fuel my grill.

My "cheapy chinese crap" gas powered ETQ 3600W 7HP generator that I bought 4 years ago for $289 from Costco has been a trooper. It provided us power through 3 days of Irene, and now 4 days through Sandy. It ran for 16-18 hours per day. No problems what-so-ever. Of course I changed the oil every 2 days, used fuel stabilizer, cleaned/oiled air element, and only used quality synthetic oil in her. Maintenance pays off.

I'm eyeing a Briggs & Stratton 15Kw whole home LPG/NG systems right now. I may pull the trigger in the spring after hysteria dies down.

I thought about using my 275gal home heating oil tank (aka diesel) as a fuel storage option for a 7-10Kw diesel generator, but after researching I think the hassle of caring for long term diesel storage isn't worth it. If I decide "off-grid" options, I would go with a LPG gen and 100gal LPG tank. LPG stores pretty much indefinitely, plus I can use it to fuel my grill.

My "cheapy chinese crap" gas powered ETQ 3600W 7HP generator that I bought 4 years ago for $289 from Costco has been a trooper. It provided us power through 3 days of Irene, and now 4 days through Sandy. It ran for 16-18 hours per day. No problems what-so-ever. Of course I changed the oil every 2 days, used fuel stabilizer, cleaned/oiled air element, and only used quality synthetic oil in her. Maintenance pays off.

I thought the same thing , getting a diesel gen and having my 250 gal home oil tank for fuel, but some quick google searching says its different types of diesel, #1 / # 2. Haven't read much more other than it wouldn't work