Barms

To those who wear eyeglasses.. what protection?

I started wearing eyeglasses to read about 6 months ago.. i don't necessarily need them to shoot.. but it probably makes me a better shot in the long run. I ordered an "oversized" prescription, in addition to regular reading glasses, the idea is that the oversized ones could double as my protective eyewear. So if i wear a baseball hat with the large glasses i'm probably blocking 99.99% of fragments.

But i worry about frags coming from the side. So the question is. what do you board guys use for eye protection who wear eyeglasses? I know the ultimate is to get prescription goggles but i'm not that hardcore yet. Please tell me about options for goggles that go "over" your glasses? Or can i get things for the sides?

No, i will not wear contacts. And no, i don't want this thread to be about if eyeglasses are appropriate safety or not, lets just say it isnt and have that be a different thread.

Somebody must have a genius idea for full protection (i.e the same as wearing contoured wrap around protective glasses while wearing your eyeglasses..

thanks!

I wear ESS ICE glasses with the prescription insert. These glasses are modular (multiple lenses for one set of arms and nose bridge) and come in multiple colors (clear amber tint rose laser resistant) they had 2 different eye glass inserts. A heavy plastic and a thin wire frame. I you order the insert from ESS they will cut your prescription for you, or you can go to yor local lab and have them cut. Lense crafters did mine in 24 hours. I wear these for work (I am a healthcare provider) as well as shooting and any other protective eye wear scenerio and I love them. They also come in a narrow model if you have a smaller face.

Here is the link:

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-Series_18_category.html

I hope this was helpful

Depending on your prescription you have many options.

WileyX make wraparound frames that hold a +/- 5

Whatever you get realize that the lens is only 1/2 the equation,

You need a frame that will withstand the impact so that the lenses dont get knocked loose and can hit yor eyes.

I got a prescription set of glasses with transition lenses through insurance at wally world eyeglass center.

Rayban sports frame that gives good protection, with the transition carbonate lenses. All in was like $100 or so. Well worth it.

Other option, zenni optical, cheap, and ordered through them at least 8 pairs between anastasia and I, for as cheap as they are, you can order plenty... and they are pretty good.

Rudy Project are good, however they spun off the shooting stuff and now sold under a different name... XX2i or something like that.

If you are wearing reading glasses to see up close, but you can focus on the front sight fine, just buy some non-rx safety glasses.

Rudy exceptions can take the broadest prescriptions of anything I have encountered. They aren't cheap, but if your prescription is pricey, the outside safety lenses with the lifetime warranty taking the hit is a lot better than the $300 prescription lenses.

If you want to try what you have, just get some add-on side shields. Most eyeglass shops should be able to help you with that.

I got a a pair of sport glasses from LensCrafters - $79 for the exam and insurance covered the frames and lenses with transitions. I got them for another sport I play, but they work as shooting glasses too. Impact rated for professional athletics; side coverage is good enough for casual shooting.

Plus sport glasses makes you look like the coolest kid on the playground.

EDIT: with insurance, total was $90 for exam + glasses. Great way to burn that vision coverage I always forget to use.

Your eyeglasses are protection. No need for anything additional.

Not necessarily. Some people have glasses with actual glass lenses, which aren't good protection. Mine are polycarbonate lenses, so they're better, but then again I have really small frames, which don't really allow for the most protection.....

Your eyeglasses are protection. No need for anything additional.

They are better than nothing. Normal glass frames will not hold a lens in place during an impact.

If the price of a pair of actual safety glasses is more important to you than your eyesight, thats up to you.

Great stuff guys.. i think for about a hundred i will get the ones listed with the links and the "RX drop in" or whatever its called..

Yes, fragments like crazy when shooting steel indoors. it bounces off targets, then off walls, then at you sideways.. and when somebody is shooting a 9mm AR?!?! fragments X 100.

the side coverage is what really got me thinking about the protection. and the ones in the links look like good wrap arounds..

How about:

Uvex S3150 Ambient OTG Safety Eyewear, Large Blue Frame, Clear Ultra-Dura Hardcoat Lens

www.amazon.com

• Offered in two lens sizes to fit a variety of users and prescription eyewear styles
  • Economical and easy lens replacement allows multiple tints and extends the life of the eyewear
  • Soft, flexible nasal fingers conform to a variety of facial profiles and minimize slippage
  • Available in a variety of lens tint options
  • Highest available impact protection certified to ANSI Z87.1-2003, CSA Z94.3 and Military Vo Ballistic test for impact (7 times greater than ANSI)

Pretty comfortable to wear and around $11.

Go to Home Depot or Loews for safety glasses. No need to spend a fortune!

Until they break, get scratched, discolored, distort you vision, etc. I can tell you that my Rudy glasses are nearly 10 years old, the lenses have lifetime warranty, and I've worn them for everything from shooting, hiking, driving, all the way to lawn work and wood cutting. They've been sat on, hit by scopes under recoil, dragged through gravel, chucked in the range bag without the case, hit be shrapnel and ejecting cases, and never replaced anything on them (besides a new color and type of shields I settled on early on). They are still as good as the day I got them. Before I bought them I was going through 2 to 3 pairs of the cheap ones every year. The $200 I spent on them has payed over many many times in cheap glasses.

That, and you only have a single set of very expensive eyes. Rudy is actually sponsoring shooters and the shooting sports and occasionally do some demo's of what happens when you shoot their ImpactX shields, with a 9mm, from 10 yards:

20090629_045933_img_2076_std.jpg

There are a lot of good glasses out there, but Rudy has sure made me a repeat customer, and no they don't pay me to sing their praise. They are just that good.

I used to just wear my prescription glasses as eye protection while shooting. Earlier this year, for the first time, I actually had a brass casing eject from the gun and fly right on top of my glasses and fell into the void between the glasses and my eye. It was a very unpleasant experience getting burned from it, since it was hot, but fortunately nothing serious (just some redness on my eyelid). But, for that few seconds, it created a potentially dangerous situation, as I could have inadvertently done something dangerous with the loaded gun still in my hands.

Since then I wear protective glasses over my prescription glasses. The cover the voids on the top and on the sides as well. They are made by Radians, they are the Chief model.

http://www.radians.com/radsite/index.php/products/industrial-safety-products/protective-eyewear/item/radians-chief-otg-safety-eyewear?category_id=2

They can be purchased at RTSP in Randolph for about $6. I keep them in the package while not in use to prevent them from getting scratched. They fit well, do not interfere with my peripheral vision, and they don't feel awkward.

For airsoft, I bought Bolle T800 goggles with RX inserts. They are rated for military use and if I remember correctly, can stop a high-FPS .22 pellet.

If you wear glasses and don't use the RX inserts, the T800s will press the frames against your face uncomfortably. Bolle X500s are roomier inside, and I can wear glasses under them comfortably.

That said, I DID eventually get contacts, and prefer to wear small shooting glasses for shooting. I do occasionally wear my normal glasses when shooting, though always with a hat.