High Exposure

Shootout in Indiana Gun Shop *Video*

** Warning: Video at this link shows full shootout resulting in the death of the actor **

Pretty good Video of a customer at a gun store/range in Indiana who decided to shoot it out with the counterman. Watch the body language between the Counter Guy and the Customer.

The counter guy was a pretty hard dude. Took one through the lung still managed to finish the fight, care for other employees, assess his threat and call 911 before his wounds got the better of him and he couldn't do any more.

News Story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRKh1hb97A&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRKh1hb97A&feature=relmfu

With new respect for life, Don's Guns clerk returns to work after fatal shootout

Written by Bill McCleery

Ben Chance was back at work Friday, a little more than two months after his shift at Don’s Guns took a frightening and deadly twist.

A clerk at the store near Lafayette Square, he was wounded in a Sept. 17 shootout with a customer who unexpectedly pointed a handgun and fired at him. Chance – who returned fire, fatally wounding his assailant – was wounded and required hospitalization for several weeks.

“I respect life a little more,” said Chance, 42, in an interview at his workplace. “Most people take life for granted until you about lose it.”

Chance was resuscitated several times in an ambulance and upon his arrival at a hospital, he said, after a bullet pierced his lung, ricocheted off his shoulder blade and exited the back of his side.

The man who fired three shots at Chance — Brian Wayner — died at the scene shortly after Chance returned fire inside Don's Guns and Galleries, 3807 Lafayette Road, police have said. Wayner died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to the Marion County Coroner's Office.

Chance recalled thinking at first that Wayner was joking.

“I remember it all just like it was yesterday,” Chance said. “The guy comes in and rents a gun. He’s been there before — probably about a month prior, when he spent a bunch of money renting guns.

“I didn’t pay no attention to the guy. He was joking with me and stuff before he went out on the range.”

Chance and his supervisor, Brenda Duety, were documenting store inventory when Wayner, after emerging several times over the course of an hour or so to request additional boxes of ammunition, seemed finished with target practice and ready to leave.

“He comes out and lays his gun on the rental case like he wants to pay,” Chance recalled. “I walk up and go to reach for the gun and he grabs it off the counter.

“So I go to reach for it again, and if you look at the video you can see that I’m smiling, but I immediately turned positions and changed arms and I wasn’t smiling after that.

“And once he raised the gun up, he was a threat to me and everybody around me, including the customers.

“So I have no choice. He shoots me first, and I take him out.”

Both men, standing just a few feet away from one another, used .40-caliber handguns during the confrontation.

Wayner’s motives in the incident remain unclear. He was a 26-year-old former college student with no significant criminal history.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has not commented further on the case, and Wayner’s family was contacted by The Star earlier this year but declined to be interviewed.

A week after the shooting, the Marion County Prosecutor's Office decided to not file criminal charges against Chance who, the office determined, acted in self-defense.

Wayner graduated in 2004 from Ben Davis High School. He attended Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis from 2004 to 2009 but did not graduate.

Chance conceded he remains troubled by memories of the incident.

“It’s something I’m going to have to live with,” he said. “I’ve been here 19 years, and that was the first time I ever had to hurt anybody... I’m not going to kill anybody unless I have to, but if you point a gun at me and you’re a threat to me, I’m going to shoot. The unfortunate part is that I got hurt, too.”

He credits Duety, 55, with helping to save his life. She held her hand over Chance’s bullet wound as he lay on his back on the floor to help contain the bleeding.

“It was scary,” Duety said. “Saved his life? I think he saved my life. He killed the guy that shot at him. As far as saving his life, that’s what we do. He’s got my back, I’ve got his back. If it had been me lying there, I'm sure he would have done the same thing.”

Don Davis, 79, owner of the business, has now promoted Chance to vice president of the company.

“He got a healthy increase (in pay) by doing that,” Davis said. “I think he’ll be here many, many more years. Everybody here is important.”

Davis looked a bit pensive but then resisted any impulse to become emotional over the whole experience.

“Now get your ass back to work,” he said to Chance. “We’ve got a lot of customers today.”

Glad it turned out the way it did.

Question:

Is there a range anywhere whereyou can walk around with an uncased/unholstered gun without sending up all kinds of red flags?

Unlike most ranges, it looks like this one doesn't give you a bin to carry the rented firearm into the port with. That likely wouldn't have changed much in this situation, since he had already plopped the gun on the counter and then picked it up after the fact.

It's crazy that someone would attempt something like this at a range/gun shop. I'd like to assume that a majority of those who work behind the counter of a shooting range are either armed, have a weapon in close proximity and can also handle a gun well. In other words...aren't going to be helpless victims.

Talk about mere seconds to realize something very bad was about to happen and react.IMO The counter guy appears to react almost instinctively to the threat.

I wonder if this is the result of years of formal defensive training or if he was just very lucky.

My wife used to think I was crazy that every time I'm at the range I'd keep an eye out for a "psycho" in a nearby stall/lane. You just never know who's shooting next to you and something could happen really fast at a lane. Without seeming neurotic, am I the only one that thinks like this? Anything in particular you look out for when in your lane? Like I said, I don't harp on this, but it does run through my mind from time to time while I'm there...

I have not been to Brick Armory in a while, but each time i shot i did not get a bin. just had the ammo and handgun in my hand. This was before i got my own and got a range bag of course. I always thought it was odd. They may have changed their policy since then

My wife used to think I was crazy that every time I'm at the range I'd keep an eye out for a "psycho" in a nearby stall/lane. You just never know who's shooting next to you and something could happen really fast at a lane. Without seeming neurotic, am I the only one that thinks like this? Anything in particular you look out for when in your lane? Like I said, I don't harp on this, but it does run through my mind from time to time while I'm there...

I had a guy in my unit draw down on me with his m16 at the range. Seems like he wanted me to pop him, I held my ground with my safety off and finger on the trigger, so he did it himself right next to me. And that is why I don't trust anyone...

I had a guy in my unit draw down on me with his m16 at the range. Seems like he wanted me to pop him, I held my ground with my safety off and finger on the trigger, so he did it himself right next to me. And that is why I don't trust anyone...

How did you know he wasn't going to fire?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gun rentals are a scary thing.. brick and sure shot have both had incidents involving rentals... i guess the only way to be perfectly sure is to assign a range officer to each rental and be 100% in control..

since nics is available maybe do a check on people that want to rent and just add that to the rental?

How did you know he wasn't going to fire?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I didn't know, But i wasn't going to commit murder with 150 people watching. come to find out he just got a dear john letter from his wife

A saving grace for the counter-man, the renter likely had FMJ bullets that, barring hitting something solid, wouldn't have deformed too much... whereas, the counter man hopefully had HPs. A through and through would be better than something pancaking.

While I see what your saying Tony, I don't think adding anything to the current requirements to be needed or wanted.

It is a store that sells and rents firearms. Someone could walk into Home Depot and take and ax of the wall and use it to attack people. The risk of a potential crime is not a reason to restrict access to a desired product by non-prohibited persons. The customer rents at his own risk, and the store owner assumes that risk.

Now, if the individual retailers wants to require a NICS check from anyone renting a firearm...Maybe they issue ID cards to rental customers for a fee plus the cost of the NICS. And, then they know that the person is non-prohibited. If I were the shop owner, I may do that. But, the state shouldn't do it.

At Brick Armory, after the suicide, they refuse to rent to any lone wolf customers who aren't coming in with their own guns as well. The logic, I believe, is that if someone is coming in with their own guns and wants to rent something different, they've already passed a NICS for their NJFPID, and for handgun permits so they aren't prohibited.

All of this notwithstanding, I didn't see anything in the article about this scumbag being a prohibited person. You can't place crazy restrictions on normal people to prevent crazy people from doing crazy shit. It doesn't stop them.