Caine

School shooting in CT

You will never be able to stop the ones that are truly evil and/or mentally unstable. A a little over a year ago my neighbor was shot in the head with his own handgun by his son as he was doing dishes. His son wanted to get the key to a small safe that contained credit cards and some cash and figured the easiest way was to kill his father. Turned out that the safe wasn't evenlocked.

This guy played with my sons when they were kids and was over to my house many times, never had a clue what he was capable of.

This is a tragedy which is almost incomprehensible. There are no words that can describe the sorrow of 18 innocent children to being killed. A ban on guns would not have prevented this, for this person was deranged in a way few could even fathom. It turns out he was after his mom who was a teacher and took out her class along with her. Who could even conceive of such a thing? Yet we live in a society which has become desensitized to violence, so what can we expect. Banning guns is not the answer, for this insane person would have found other means to carry out his plan. Why was he allowed in the building, wearing battle dress carrying weapons?? Didn't anyone bother to look at the CCTV?? Procedures at the school were obviously not followed. Because of the horrific nature of this heinous act involved young children those who endeavor to ban guns, will surely use this as their focal point and I fear not even the NRA will be able to stop strict gun control legislation from being enacted this time. Obama basically said as much when he addressed the nation today. My heart goes out to all the parents who lost their children. Nothing will ever ease their pain. It appears that today many people have lost a great deal.

This is so sad - it is heart breaking...What a coward of a scumbag to go after kids....

This may be the straw that really helps the ani-gun nutz....I'd like to see the NRA get ahead of this - cause the storm is comming...Somthing needs to be done, we can not allow our kids to be slaughtered in school...Best if NRA helps define solutions before the anti-gun nutz do...As a long-term solution, how about something like a chip in every gun, which sends am alarm to police if a nut-job goes near a school? Lets apply some technology so we can help to keep kids safe - but at the same time maintain our freedoms. We need to think out of the box.

A chip in a gun that alerts when a nut job goes near a school? A nut job can't get a gun legally, let alone bring one near a school.

No gun laws could stop this from happening, he stole the weapons.

I agree.....I DO NOT see an outright ban...enforcement of same will be monumental in this country.......however some will say that the same could have been said for GB and AUS....possibly...

Heaven forbid it comes to that because i * DO* think that if it does come *TO* that, the civil war will look like a cake walk.......let' pray that cooler heads prevail and that sense can be made out of this senseless

act that serves to protect us all..

I think if there was a ban people would turn them in. Sure, there'd be several incidents of armed resistance, but they would be neutralized quickly. I believe when faced with the choice of losing their freedoms, never being with their families again, maybe even losing their lives or choosing to give up their guns, most people would choose to just hand them in. I just hope we never get to find out if I'm right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I fear all we are in for a long battle with regards to gun control. The liberal press is going to have a field day with this. How does the NRA even begin to do damage control when you have a situation like this involving kids? You really cannot win. Anything you do to try and mitigate the situation makes you come off looking like an insensitive SOB!!

A chip in every gun that does what? Does a mental health assessment and notifies the police that the person holding the gun doesn't qualify? Sounds familiar.....if I want my guns tracked, I would approve of the U.N. getting involved with our gun control. A chip in every gun has got to be the absolute worst idea I've ever heard. I seriously hope this was meant to be some sort of levity.

Your words reflect your closed mind on this...Obama will be usuing this event to take your rights away. Did you hear his press confrence today? And every parent with a kid in school will be on his side. This is the big one...Think it can't happen? KNow anyone who lives in NY city - ask them...Having a chip in your gun vs. having no gun, or not having certain guns may be a blessing in years to come. NRA needs to get out in front of this...Chip goes off if you go near a school...Why would you have an issue with that?...What is your bright idea?

Your words reflect your closed mind on this...Obama will be usuing this event to take your rights away. Did you hear his press confrence today? And every parent with a kid in school will be on his side. This is the big one...Think it can't happen? KNow anyone who lives in NY city - ask them...Having a chip in your gun vs. having no gun, or not having certain guns may be a blessing in years to come. NRA needs to get out in front of this...Chip goes off if you go near a school...Why would you have an issue with that?...What is your bright idea?

I live near a school. Does this mean I have to give up my guns? And what happens if you drive by a school on the way to the range? Plus, a chip could be removed or deactivated easily. Not that the lunatic would care since he plans to die anyway.

...Chip goes off if you go near a school...Why would you have an issue with that?...

Just a few of the many reasons your idea is silly & constitutes a poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction [not unlike the majority of "outside the box" ideas people are fond of throwning out there when gun control is discussed]:

-You're just assuming the technology to do this is ready to go and can be easily implemented at the drop of the hat without singificant increases to the average price of the gun. You'd be talking about a tracking chip that would have to retain the ability to transmit data for DECADES while being subjected to potentially hundreds of thousands of rounds of recoil force. What exactly's powering this chip you're so sure we need to add? Does it have batteries that need to be changed? What happens if the chip stops working? Does the gun cease functioning? Will gun owners be thrown in jail if the chip on their gun breaks & they don't immediately get it repaired at their own expense?

-And what about the millions of guns already in people's collections that don't have these chips? They're suddenly illegal? Are the police going to be given the authority to go around confiscating all of them based on firearm sales records? Or are gun owners going to be burdened with covering the cost of having the chips installed into every single gun they own? What about firearms that aren't able to have a chip installed due to their design or age?

-How much faster are police actually going to get to the scene of a shooting just because the chip triggers the alarm when they step foot on the grounds. Do you really think it takes a long time after the first shots are heard for the police to start getting calls? Are the police expected to respond to all activations of the chip exactly the same as when they get confirmed reports of an active shooter? Who's going to be held responsible for false alarms?

Mental health reform is a much more solid idea. What you propose does nothing to eliminate spree killings, it just makes it so that people who buy newer guns cannot go near schools. Good luck implementing that plan on the 200 or so million guns that are already out there and without chips. If we can start the long process of changing the country's mentality concerning mental health, we could eliminate most if not all of these types of killings.

Think of it this way: Either spend 5 minutes writing up a bill to ban things and curtail civil rights while stopping SOME killings, or take the time to make an effort to help people and stop MOST killings.

Mental health reform is a much more solid idea. What you propose does nothing to eliminate spree killings, it just makes it so that people who buy newer guns cannot go near schools. Good luck implementing that plan on the 200 or so million guns that are already out there and without chips. If we can start the long process of changing the country's mentality concerning mental health, we could eliminate most if not all of these types of killings.

Think of it this way: Either spend 5 minutes writing up a bill to ban things and curtail civil rights while stopping SOME killings, or take the time to make an effort to help people and stop MOST killings.

Mental health reform is important too ..I am on board...Also think the culture needs to be looked at...Extreemly violent video games, colapsing values, etc....Guns have been around a long time - but these crazy shootings seem to be more and more frequent...Need to look at all dimensions...We need to do our part in the Gun community too (if we don't public will turn on us)...

I cannot understand why this gun right issue is being discussed at this very moment!!???. Having buried my baby daughter 12 years ago, I would gladly give up anything: guns, rights including my life if she would have lived. As a group, I hope we show some decency, now is not the time to argue about gun control or any issue pertaining to it, but show our respects to the parents who now have the sorrowful burden of burying a child this Christmas. It is a sorrow I would not even wish for my worst enemy. God bless us all.

Gun control? We need medication control! Newton elementary school shooter Adam Lanza likely on meds; labeled as having 'personality disorder'

http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz2F57m6T7Mhttp://www.naturalne...Adam_Lanza.html

A far better solution here would be to outlaw psychiatric drugs that cause the violent behavior in the first place. After all, if you only outlaw guns but fail to eliminate the drugs that cause the violence, people dosed up on mind-altering meds will simply find alternate weapons to commit the same acts of violence.

Just a few of the many reasons your idea is silly & constitutes a poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction [not unlike the majority of "outside the box" ideas people are fond of throwning out there when gun control is discussed]:

-You're just assuming the technology to do this is ready to go and can be easily implemented at the drop of the hat without singificant increases to the average price of the gun. You'd be talking about a tracking chip that would have to retain the ability to transmit data for DECADES while being subjected to potentially hundreds of thousands of rounds of recoil force. What exactly's powering this chip you're so sure we need to add? Does it have batteries that need to be changed? What happens if the chip stops working? Does the gun cease functioning? Will gun owners be thrown in jail if the chip on their gun breaks & they don't immediately get it repaired at their own expense?

-And what about the millions of guns already in people's collections that don't have these chips? They're suddenly illegal? Are the police going to be given the authority to go around confiscating all of them based on firearm sales records? Or are gun owners going to be burdened with covering the cost of having the chips installed into every single gun they own? What about firearms that aren't able to have a chip installed due to their design or age?

-How much faster are police actually going to get to the scene of a shooting just because the chip triggers the alarm when they step foot on the grounds. Do you really think it takes a long time after the first shots are heard for the police to start getting calls? Are the police expected to respond to all activations of the chip exactly the same as when they get confirmed reports of an active shooter? Who's going to be held responsible for false alarms?

Dude, I didn't spend 5 months doing a detailed design and business plan...Point is, Gun Comunity needs to be open minded about solutions...Also I said "long term solution"...This is straight forwrad technology...You make a good point about response time though. Maybe schol doors are locked up and sirenes go off as early warning till cops arrive...Everything helps...Think possibilities! Once you have a stategy, work the details...That is how we design stuff in the real world...What is your bright idea, or don't you want to get past your gun rights dogma?

I cannot understand why this gun right issue is being discussed at this very moment!!???. Having buried my baby daughter 12 years ago, I would gladly give up anything: guns, rights including my life if she would have lived. As a group, I hope we show some decency, now is not the time to argue about gun control or any issue pertaining to it, but show our respects to the parents who now have the sorrowful burden of burying a child this Christmas. It is a sorrow I would not even wish for my worst enemy. God bless us all.

Wow...I hope this really puts everything in perspective. What's really important. I can't imagine not having my daughter now. I would be destroyed if anything happened to her. I am so sorry for your loss.

. As a group, I hope we show some decency, now is not the time to argue about gun control or any issue pertaining to it, but show our respects to the parents who now have the sorrowful burden of burying a child this Christmas. It is a sorrow I would not even wish for my worst enemy. God bless us all.

I, for one, am dreading that picture. You know its coming. The one with twenty tiny faces all lined up. Just thinking about it is upsetting.

This is really unfathomable. I have seen some shit in my time but just watching this news on tv, hell just listening to it, is so upsetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just when I think that I have reached my limit of contempt for my fellow man, some jackass has to go and raise the bar. I still can't believe that someone would/could kill a whole classroom of children; mental defective or not. I cannot begin to imagine what the parents and families of the victims must be feeling right now.

I fear all we are in for a long battle with regards to gun control. The liberal press is going to have a field day with this. How does the NRA even begin to do damage control when you have a situation like this involving kids? You really cannot win. Anything you do to try and mitigate the situation makes you come off looking like an insensitive SOB!!

I've said it before. I truly believe that the media and press are partly culpable by sensationalizing these tragedies which basically gives every wack job out there inspiration to have their 15 minutes of fame. Recently, it seems like each one was trying to "out do" the previous.

I fully agree. Scary part about this is that when children's welfare are a driving force behind legislation, it is generally passed. Problem is, as several posters have mentioned, this is a knee jerk reaction to a larger problem and will solve nothing but trample on the rights of law abiding citizens. Case in point: this jackass was mentally defective and gained access to legally owned weapons that were not his own. How do you stop that?

Just when I think that I have reached my limit of contempt for my fellow man, some jackass has to go and raise the bar. I still can't believe that someone would/could kill a whole classroom of children; mental defective or not. I cannot begin to imagine what the parents and families of the victims must be feeling right now.

I've said it before. I truly believe that the media and press are partly culpable by sensationalizing these tragedies which basically gives every wack job out there inspiration to have their 15 minutes of fame. Recently, it seems like each one was trying to "out do" the previous.

I fully agree. Scary part about this is that when children's welfare are a driving force behind legislation, it is generally passed. Problem is, as several posters have mentioned, this is a knee jerk reaction to a larger problem and will solve nothing but trample on the rights of law abiding citizens. Case in point: this jackass was mentally defective and gained access to legally owned weapons that were not his own. How do you stop that?

You don't. But the government, under the guise of acting on behalf of the people, have no problem with stripping its citizens of their 2nd amendment rights, and look at each one of these senseless acts as their reason to do so.

I can't stop thinking about the kids, the sounds of the screaming...one by one. Its just too easy to picture really.

I was so busy all day and couldn't pay any attention. Now on the train, it's really hitting me hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is full of tragedies and no matter the size, none are worse than another on an individual level to those affected. It is unfortunate that the size of the tragedy does have an impact on a political level. That is a tragedy itself.

If you were to spend time thinking about and reflecting on all the senseless killing that happens everyday you would be in a constant state of depression/sorrow/sadness.

It pains me to think how the families must feel.

BTW… i'm thinking if there, in the school would’ve been somebody armed... without CCW permit… who would’ve killed the shooter and save all those innocent lives... would’ve he been prosecuted? for unlawful possession of a firearm and having a gun in the “gun free zone”?

If we are serious about stopping this mindless violence, mandate that some % of teachers or staff be trained and carrying at all times. That would at least be a fighting chance.

In every report I have heard, where the "emergency plan" was referenced, that plan is for the teachers and students to hide in a closet or under their desks. Really? Maniac on the loose and if we hide he will go away?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BTW… i'm thinking if there, in the school would’ve been somebody armed... without CCW permit… who would’ve killed the shooter and save all those innocent lives... would’ve he been prosecuted? for unlawful possession of a firearm and having a gun in the “gun free zone”?

hard to say frankly..CT's laws actually allow CCW

s to carry on school property if authorized by the Administrator..problem is that Most School administrators I knoe wouldnt EVER allow it willingly