Caine

School shooting in CT

If we are serious about stopping this mindless violence, mandate that some % of teachers or staff be trained and carrying at all times. That would at least be a fighting chance.

In every report I have heard, where the "emergency plan" was referenced, that plan is for the teachers and students to hide in a closet or under their desks. Really? Maniac on the loose and if we hide he will go away?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

How about armed security at all public schools? I would be willing to pay an additional $100 or $200 a year on my property taxes for it.

Dude, I didn't spend 5 months doing a detailed design and business plan...Point is, Gun Comunity needs to be open minded about solutions...Also I said "long term solution"...This is straight forwrad technology...You make a good point about response time though. Maybe schol doors are locked up and sirenes go off as early warning till cops arrive...Everything helps...Think possibilities! Once you have a stategy, work the details...That is how we design stuff in the real world...What is your bright idea, or don't you want to get past your gun rights dogma?

For every new and improved fool proof device, there's a new and improved fool. Were I a crazy psycho making a plan around your technology, I'd have a field day. A few 5 gallon cans of gas, one unloaded gun, and some matches. With a 5 to 10 minute response time, you just have a bunch of swat guys showing up with body armor and machine guns to a fire.

Go back and look a school killings. In the old days arson was #1, and explosives #2. This is not a strictly modern phenomenon.

I wonder what would.have happened if that was the thought process at Lexington and Concorde .....

It wasn't, so it doesn't matter. If faced with a ban, the vast majority will comply. I didn't say I liked it - it's just a theory. Hope we don't get to that point someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This whole thing makes me sick. I have a daughter and to me the anguish of the parents right now is unimaginable. The people who spin this a pro or anti gun just make me angrier. While the antis are dancing and frothing at the mouth you can't seriously tell me this would have happened if the guy didn't have ready access to the firearms.

How about armed security at all public schools? I would be willing to pay an additional $100 or $200 a year on my property taxes for it.

Wouldn't help. When a madman bent on destruction has no concern whether he lives or dies, it will be damn hard to stop him. Most likely would have just had a dead security guard added to the mix.

Unless you are lucky, the only thing that will stop a madamn with a gun is a rationally thinking man with a gun. Its a good thing this guy popped himself when he did. As unthinkable as it might be, this could have ben twice as bad.

This whole thing makes me sick. I have a daughter and to me the anguish of the parents right now is unimaginable. The people who spin this a pro or anti gun just make me angrier. While the antis are dancing and frothing at the mouth you can't seriously tell me this would have happened if the guy didn't have ready access to the firearms.

And whose fault is it that he had ready access? His mother, the owner if the firearms in question. IF it holds true that he was mentally ill, those guns should have been in a combination safe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't help. When a madman bent on destruction has no concern whether he lives or dies, it will be damn hard to stop him. Most likely would have just had a dead security guard added to the mix.

Unless you are lucky, the only thing that will stop a madamn with a gun is a rationally thinking man with a gun. Its a good thing this guy popped himself when he did. As unthinkable as it might be, this could have ben twice as bad.

This.. As for the Security aspect// turning the clock back to Columbine, part of Kliebold and Harris' plan was to kill the SRO First..remove the only threat to their plan. As for the second part, take a look at these mass shootings, the majority of them End AS SOON as another armed person arrives on Scene..at that point the actor takes one of 3 avenues, Engages the armed responder, Surrenders, or Offs himself

This whole day has reinforced something that i'd come to believe from my own experience, and sorry to anyone here in this industry if I offend you, but the Media in this country is completely out of control and utterly worthless. The first 3-4 HOURS of this mess was being broadcast on all stations with NOBODY HAVING A DAMN CLUE of what was going on, and reporting everything from rumors, to outright falsehoods, and running back and forth reporting on what OTHER reporters were saying..in between of course Whining about the Police not giving them information, the Hospital not giving them information, and when Statements WERE given Bombarding the individual with frankly Stupid and repetitive questions.

Whenever I heat an anti person scoff at the idea of CCW in these gun free zones...they say that is could be made so much worse if there were more guns involved. think of the children!

But, under the circumstances, I don't see how if even one administrator or dean or teacher was a licensed gun carry with training, that merely engaging the target wouldn't provide enough distraction to buy a minute or more. Best case, upon engagement, the target would self-terminate.

Some anti friend on FB is declaring that she will fight for her town to provide armed guards for her school. But, wouldn't it be cheaper and more sensible for a given number of administrators or educators to be trained and licensed to carry firearms?

Frankly, I 'm hard pressed to see how an armed person engaging this monster with a firearm could have made it worse than it was. Once again, given free reign to do as he pleased, he killed over 2 dozen people before self-terminating.

This whole day has reinforced something that i'd come to believe from my own experience, and sorry to anyone here in this industry if I offend you, but the Media in this country is completely out of control and utterly worthless. The first 3-4 HOURS of this mess was being broadcast on all stations with NOBODY HAVING A DAMN CLUE of what was going on, and reporting everything from rumors, to outright falsehoods, and running back and forth reporting on what OTHER reporters were saying..in between of course Whining about the Police not giving them information, the Hospital not giving them information, and when Statements WERE given Bombarding the individual with frankly Stupid and repetitive questions.

I agree. It was deplorable. The story changed by the minute as did the speculation.

These idiots just won't stop:

The people who fight and lobby and legislate to make guns regularly available are complicit in the murder of those children. They have made a clear moral choice: that the comfort and emotional reassurance they take from the possession of guns, placed in the balance even against the routine murder of innocent children, is of supreme value. Whatever satisfaction gun owners take from their guns—we know for certain that there is no prudential value in them—is more important than children’s lives. Give them credit: life is making moral choices, and that’s a moral choice, clearly made.

All of that is a truth, plain and simple, and recognized throughout the world. At some point, this truth may become so bloody obvious that we will know it, too. Meanwhile, congratulate yourself on living in the child-gun-massacre capital of the known universe.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/newtown-and-the-madness-of-guns.html#ixzz2F6pgqawP

In every report I have heard, where the "emergency plan" was referenced, that plan is for the teachers and students to hide in a closet or under their desks. Really? Maniac on the loose and if we hide he will go away?

My wife's a teacher and she says that's also their emergency plan in an active shooter scenario: hide....

i told her that's the dumbest bullsh!t i've ever heard. She now knows to flee if possible, fight if necessary and hide only as a last resort.

My wife's a teacher and she says that's also their emergency plan in an active shooter scenario: hide....

i told her that's the dumbest bullsh!t i've ever heard. She now knows to flee if possible, fight if necessary and hide only as a last resort.

Sure, if it's just her she can run or fight. What about her classroom? Getting the kids to flee without panic is very tough.

Sheltering in place is a formidable solution when weighed with the certainty of flooding the hallways with students and teachers. By flooding the hallways or grounds with people you increase the number of potential targets for a shooter. . This method also aids accountability and supervision by the teacher for each student. . This is a widely accepted practice for school lock down procedures, and is also used in high density assisted living facilities for the elderly for fire emergencies. (shelter in place and not hide in a closet)

The people who fight and lobby and legislate to make guns regularly available are complicit in the murder of those children. They have made a clear moral choice: that the comfort and emotional reassurance they take from the possession of guns, placed in the balance even against the routine murder of innocent children, is of supreme value. Whatever satisfaction gun owners take from their guns—we know for certain that there is no prudential value in them—is more important than children’s lives. Give them credit: life is making moral choices, and that’s a moral choice, clearly made.

All of that is a truth, plain and simple, and recognized throughout the world. At some point, this truth may become so bloody obvious that we will know it, too. Meanwhile, congratulate yourself on living in the child-gun-massacre capital of the known universe.

Not exactly clear thinking there my friend, that's the Cool Aid talking. We live in the land of the cheap excuse, where anguish is turned into a convenient soundbite. Other than the deranged individuals and attention seekers that do things like this, those with the most culpability are those who use the word "guns" to avoid talking about a host of deficiencies in our society that have become worse due to the touchy feely lack of accountability spawned by liberals. Lack of parenting, lack of accountability, oppression of minorities, and most of all, a mental health system that is more concerned about the privacy and the hurt feelings of someone with a mental problem rather than the constitution or the lives of wonderful people and children. Can't talk about mental health because there are "privacy issues". A guy from the NY Times actually said that on the radio in relation to this incident. Really? Privacy issues? REALLY? What about the lives of children?

You are saying that WE value our Constitutional rights over the lives of children killed by some mad dog that would kill with whatever was at hand? No, WE consider our constitutional right to protect ourselves and loved ones (and those children) FROM assholes like this guy. Take away my Constitutional rights so that we don't have to embarass the guy with the mental issues because WE MIGHT HURT HIS FEELINGS or he might be discriminated against. That's the approach they will take and that's what you have bought into with your post.

These are broken units doing great EVIL. The atheists who set the tone for our society don't believe in a god, so hence, there can't be any evil either, so it must be GUNS. Oh...there's evil out there. Look at China on the same day as this tragedy...more than 20 kids stabbed at a school. How's gun control working for them over there?

Oddly, all the talk from the anti's has made me dig in further and become less compromising. The blatant lies that the newscasters are stating about the Bushmaster are amazing, I didnt know they carried this EXACT gun in Afghanistan and the .223 is the deadliest ammo designed for maximum damage. I wonder what the AK fans have to say.

Reminds me of the pre-911 hijacking response: "Just give the hijackers everything they want, offer no resistance, and no one will get hurt".

Oddly, all the talk from the anti's has made me dig in further and become less compromising. The blatant lies that the newscasters are stating about the Bushmaster are amazing, I didnt know they carried this EXACT gun in Afghanistan and the .223 is the deadliest ammo designed for maximum damage. I wonder what the AK fans have to say.

Especially since the rifle was found in the car. Only the Glock and Sig 'revolvers' with 30 round clips were used by the shooter.

My wife, who is fairly neutral on guns and was also extremely disturbed by this event, said it best: this isn't about guns, it's about people. Some people are messed up and will do evil by any means necessary.

I told her that is why I go to the range, and want her to as well: if she is ever in a situation similar, I want her to have every opportunity to protect herself and family.

Not exactly clear thinking there my friend, that's the Cool Aid talking. We live in the land of the cheap excuse, where anguish is turned into a convenient soundbite. Other than the deranged individuals and attention seekers that do things like this, those with the most culpability are those who use the word "guns" to avoid talking about a host of deficiencies in our society that have become worse due to the touchy feely lack of accountability spawned by liberals. Lack of parenting, lack of accountability, oppression of minorities, and most of all, a mental health system that is more concerned about the privacy and the hurt feelings of someone with a mental problem rather than the constitution or the lives of wonderful people and children. Can't talk about mental health because there are "privacy issues". A guy from the NY Times actually said that on the radio in relation to this incident. Really? Privacy issues? REALLY? What about the lives of children?

You are saying that WE value our Constitutional rights over the lives of children killed by some mad dog that would kill with whatever was at hand? No, WE consider our constitutional right to protect ourselves and loved ones (and those children) FROM assholes like this guy. Take away my Constitutional rights so that we don't have to embarass the guy with the mental issues because WE MIGHT HURT HIS FEELINGS or he might be discriminated against. That's the approach they will take and that's what you have bought into with your post.

These are broken units doing great EVIL. The atheists who set the tone for our society don't believe in a god, so hence, there can't be any evil either, so it must be GUNS. Oh...there's evil out there. Look at China on the same day as this tragedy...more than 20 kids stabbed at a school. How's gun control working for them over there?

He (Alpo) is not doing any of that. You misinterpreted because he didn't us the quote function adequately. He was quoting the news source which he then provided the link to.

Not to mention that the 223 has been reported to have been found in a truck on site and likely were not used.

I haven't reviewed 9 pages of posts.

Did anyone pick up on the fact these were firearms illegally in the shooters possession?

They were registered to his mother who was either a firearms enthusiast or a straw purchaser.

We personally have the responsibility to keep firearms out of the hands of noneligible persons.

Yes, don't take your crazy cousin to the range.

Did anyone pick up on the fact these were firearms illegally in the shooters possession?

They were registered to his mother who was either a firearms enthusiast or a straw purchaser.

We personally have the responsibility to keep firearms out of the hands of noneligible persons.

It's all about access to guns. If we as legal gun owners don't prevent our guns from falling into the wrong hands, then we risk having them confiscated by the government.

What I'm not 100% on is whether or not he was living at his mothers place in any kind of documented capacity(address on his DL, bills, etc). One thing I might be onboard with as far as changes go would be a possible addition to nics that does a "who else lives here" kind of search and does a background check on them(m.health & criminal). But, even just sitting here proposing the idea, it already kind of worries me as I read it back. May just open the flood gate for heavy duty privacy invasion and harassment if its not implemented just right.

What I'm not 100% on is whether or not he was living at his mothers place in any kind of documented capacity(address on his DL, bills, etc). One thing I might be onboard with as far as changes go would be a possible addition to nics that does a "who else lives here" kind of search and does a background check on them(m.health & criminal). But, even just sitting here proposing the idea, it already kind of worries me as I read it back. May just open the flood gate for heavy duty privacy invasion and harassment if its not implemented just right.

Zell, that is a definite NO GO for me.